Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 15-03-2017, 09:22   #2266
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm View Post
Personally, I find the map print feature very useful. I use it to make copies for navigation exercises. I also tend to give copies to my crew if they want to make some research and annotate the copy with information on interesting places to visit. I also like to make a backup print for planned route just in case electronics fail. Therefore my polite feature request for better printing support.
You're not alone liking the print chart feature - off the beaten track it can be party night on the boat with the best printer with cruisers making chartlets of the next harbours up the coast and swapping info about anchorages - some parts of the world it's hard or even impossible to get hold of paper charts so printing from Opencpn can be a very useful feature, and any enhancements would be welcome.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 19:23   #2267

Boat: Van der Stadt Samoa 48

We have during our soon two years of passage, found a need to make a detailed passage plan consisting of several routes and days at anchor and days in marinas. The purpose of the passage plan is to make sure that we get to your destination without getting into trouble with hurricanes, etc..

I have developed a spreadsheet for the purpose, but it will much more efficient if it is a part of OpenCPN.

After making a route it could be included into a passage plan and you can input how many days you plan to stay in that marina or anchorage. After each change the passage plan is recalculate and you will know when at the final destination.

There should be an alarm if you plan to sail a route when there is is a risk of hurricanes etc..

The passage plan should be updated with actual data after sailing a route.

Lars
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Passageplanning.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	320.9 KB
ID:	144106  
Taarnskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 09:27   #2268

Boat: Colvic Countess 33

When Routes are imported from a gpx they are all set visible and is a pain in the bum making each one invisible individually.
A button to make Routes all invisible or for Routes to be imported with the default to be invisible (Rt click on import GPX?) would be a nice feature.
Montymariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 05:27   #2269

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montymariner View Post
When Routes are imported from a gpx they are all set visible and is a pain in the bum making each one invisible individually.
A button to make Routes all invisible or for Routes to be imported with the default to be invisible (Rt click on import GPX?) would be a nice feature.
Why do you import multiple routes? I treat the import and export functions as if they were load and save functions. Once I export a route I delete it so each GPX file contains a single route.

I design my routes so there is no duplication. If the route to one destination takes me through points A, B, C, D, and E and the route to another takes me through points A, B, C, F, and G I create three routes: (1) A, B, C; (2) C, D, E; and (3) C, F G. If I am going to E I import routes (1) and (2). If I am going to G I import routes (1) and (3).

How does your workflow differ? I'm always looking for a better way to do things.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 05:59   #2270

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montymariner View Post
Have a look at navobjs.xml in the program data folder. It is a text file and can be changed with a good text editor. A global search and replace should do the job in a few seconds. On Windows I use Notepad++. On Linux gedit will suffice. Edit the file when O is not running. Then start O. Make a backup copy before editing in case you (or O) don't like the results.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 13:46   #2271

Configurable shortkeys

hello, i would like to change the shortkeys for example to drop a waypoint on the ships position instead of press ctrl+O i prefer to pres 1 for one waypoint simbol, 2 for another waypoint symbol, 3..... until 0 and also intro key i want it to drop a waypoint, also i woul like to add a shortkey for the track button, is this possible? thanks
djyeisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 00:19   #2272

Boat: Amel Sharki
Re: Configurable shortkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by djyeisy View Post
hello, i would like to change the shortkeys for example to drop a waypoint on the ships position instead of press ctrl+O i prefer to pres 1 for one waypoint simbol, 2 for another waypoint symbol, 3..... until 0 and also intro key i want it to drop a waypoint, also i woul like to add a shortkey for the track button, is this possible? thanks
That depends of your operating system. If you are on macOS you can configure as many own shortcuts as you want.

Gerhard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shortcuts.png
Views:	183
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	144703  
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:58   #2273

no, i am on windows 7, i ask if i can change a file on opencpn and set the shortkeys as i like
Old 05-04-2017, 12:20   #2274

Boat: Najad 34

djyeisy...
Shortcut to start a route is Ctrl+R
All shortcuts are here: https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...oard_shortcuts

OpenCPN is open source where you can contribute and also change the code to fit your own needs if you code what others are not so fond of.
Here's the wiki what's needed: https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...piling_windows
It's a very fine description where every word matters. No more or less what's important. That's the way I managed to learn so give it a try.
Good luck
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 14:01   #2275

Thanks i Will have a look to that
Old 14-04-2017, 12:13   #2276

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

I have been thinking for a while of a coastal nav plug in, or feature. I would be interested in doing it myself, but boat jobs must come first.

When arriving, making landfall, we need to boost the confidence level of the chart we are using. Radar is good, soundings is another way to get some confirmation, but three coastal bearings would be much more accurate.

I remember my previous ECDIS was CMAP, it had this feature.
Take three bearings with pelorus or hh compass, etc.
Start the plugin.
Three objects are identified on the chart with Right click.
Dialog box asks for observed magnetic bearing.
Sums done to correct variation deviation etc.
Three lines drawn on chart, hopefully with gps position circumscribed.
If so Chart is good, otherwise caution required.

Could be expanded to sight-run-sight

So how does one make a Plug in?
Old 15-04-2017, 06:04   #2277

Boat: Valiant 42

Your idea may fit nicely as a feature in the Draw plugin. It is a plugin that lets one draw things on the chart much like a paper chart. It allows for popups when the boat reaches a certain border drawn in the chart. I think your idea may be a simple addition to that plugin. Search this section for discussions about the draw plugin.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 16:30   #2278

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

si_gilana

I agree with Transmitter Dan. ODraw has much of the functionality you want. In particular EBL Electronic Bearing Lines. I think you'll find them useful just the way they are. You can detach them from the Ship by right clicking. Also there are PIL
's Parallel Index Lines which might be useful. I you'd like a Line of Postion, after testing these features perhaps you can make a request with details to the Author Jon Gough.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 12:15   #2279

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Thanks, Looked into that, its exactly what I needed, and there I was thinking that draw was merely pixels.

EBL does what I was talking about, when confirmed with actual bearings and applying TVMDC.

Thanks!
Old 30-04-2017, 18:38   #2280

Boat: Pearson 35

Switch selection to choose displaying Raster, Vector or both chart types. :-)
waterman480 is offline   Reply With Quote