Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-02-2018, 07:04   #2551

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Feature Requests

Thanks David. I believe you are an editor/manager too, and can edit if you wish.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:32   #2552

Boat: Bénéteau Figaro One
for santa claus...

Hello all !

Apologize me for my very poor english.

I use OpenCPN as anybody, for report position on maps.
J'utilise OpenCPN comme tout le monde, pour reporter le point sur la carte.
+
For increase my sailing performance, i record nmea for post analyse.
Pour améliorer mes performances à la voile, j'enregistre le flux NMEA pour analyse a posteriori.
But any tools exist to analyse :-(
Mais il n'existe pas d'outils pour analyser :-(
Could we improve the display of the posterior trace, by adding 1, 2 or 3 information to choose from? For example, to superimpose the barbules of wind at the true / apparent choice?
Show multiple traces? each with benchmarks at regular intervals of time?
Pourrait-on améliorer l'affichage de la trace a posteriori, en y ajoutant 1, 2 ou 3 informations au choix ? Par exemple, superposer à la trace des barbules de vent au choix vrai / apparent ?
Afficher plusieurs traces ? chacune avec des repères à intervalles de temps réguliers ?
Looking forward to discussing the use of opencpn in a sporting setting
Au plaisir de discuter au sujet de l'utilisation d'opencpn dans un cadre sportif.
Like example / Comme par exemple :
BMayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 14:40   #2553

Re: for santa claus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMayer View Post
Hello all !

Apologize me for my very poor english.

I use OpenCPN as anybody, for report position on maps.
J'utilise OpenCPN comme tout le monde, pour reporter le point sur la carte.
+
For increase my sailing performance, i record nmea for post analyse.
Pour améliorer mes performances à la voile, j'enregistre le flux NMEA pour analyse a posteriori.
But any tools exist to analyse :-(
Mais il n'existe pas d'outils pour analyser :-(
Could we improve the display of the posterior trace, by adding 1, 2 or 3 information to choose from? For example, to superimpose the barbules of wind at the true / apparent choice?
Show multiple traces? each with benchmarks at regular intervals of time?
Pourrait-on améliorer l'affichage de la trace a posteriori, en y ajoutant 1, 2 ou 3 informations au choix ? Par exemple, superposer à la trace des barbules de vent au choix vrai / apparent ?
Afficher plusieurs traces ? chacune avec des repères à intervalles de temps réguliers ?
Looking forward to discussing the use of opencpn in a sporting setting
Au plaisir de discuter au sujet de l'utilisation d'opencpn dans un cadre sportif.
Like example / Comme par exemple :
Use Grib_pi Tables.
Use Tactics_pi for real time performance.
Record with VDR and compare your route with Weather_routing and a Grib file covering the same time frame. Perhaps compare the route taken to the optimal route given the predictive wind in the grib file.

Search in the User Manual for these features.
Old 08-02-2018, 00:08   #2554

Re: for santa claus...

Thanks rgleason.
I use grib_pi, but, i wish display along trace the real time wind, not prediction.
I translate to french the Tactics documentation,few month ago ;-) But Tactics are a performance tools for help navigator to decide "in situ".
The wish are to replay training, with wind information get (catch ?) onboard.
In short, the trace added from NMEA informations
Old 08-02-2018, 05:32   #2555

Thanks for your Translation! I understand what you'd like to do.
Would it be possible to VDR play your data, and run Tactics? to see what your performance is?
Old 08-02-2018, 08:42   #2556

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Would it be possible to VDR play your data, and run Tactics? to see what your performance is?
I try as soon as possible.

I guess the wind will only be visible at the position of the boat ...
A question runs through my mind right now: does the Tactics plugin work on Linux? (I'm migrating under Linux right now)
Old 08-02-2018, 09:51   #2557

Yes, I believe it is available in Linux. You could start by trying the three sample files provided with Tactics. See the tactics manual.
Old 08-02-2018, 14:11   #2558

Thanks Rgleason, i try asap.

But i hope my idea progress and, in future can see multiple traces, with NMEA infos all along traces.
Old 08-02-2018, 14:37   #2559

Boat: Lagoon 500

Hey guys, there are two things that drive me mad with OpenCPN on my MacOS (High Sierra) MacBook Pro.
- No Window Menu to show what windows are open (and hidden from view) and to bring the window of interest to the top. The lack of this feature makes things very difficult and often you cannot see the information of interest even though it is there in an open window. Furthermore, there are open windows that cover up the window of interest, and if you close the offending window, then the data is lost (eg weather routing windows). A Windows Menu is standard practice on all Mac applications. Please do something to fix this!!!
- Very often I click somewhere on a chart unintentionally and the screen centres on where I clicked. Can we please have an "Undo" function to return to the previous arrangement?

I am not trying to be overly critical of OpenCPN - it is truly amazing, especially now that I have become proficient at weather routing. This is very important to me as we are about to embark on a 3 - 4 year cruise around the South Pacific departing from Panama in late March. I was considering buying a subscription to Predict Wind but OpenCPN weather routing is almost as good and you have the additional benefit of trip planning (and much more) with OpenCPN.

Can I round off by saying that there is a problem with saving the formatting of the "Weather Routing - WeatherRoutingConfiguration.xml window. Most of the columns are closed up and after resetting the column widths, the format is lost when OpenCPN is shutdown and then restarted. It used to hold the settings for the columns in the previous stable version of OpenCPN.

Really guys, I am thrilled with OpenCPN - just wish I was smart enough to assist with the development work. Please keep up the good work.
kevinvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 17:17   #2560

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvh View Post
Hey guys, there are two things that drive me mad with OpenCPN on my MacOS (High Sierra) MacBook Pro.
- No Window Menu to show what windows are open (and hidden from view) and to bring the window of interest to the top. The lack of this feature makes things very difficult and often you cannot see the information of interest even though it is there in an open window. Furthermore, there are open windows that cover up the window of interest, and if you close the offending window, then the data is lost (eg weather routing windows). A Windows Menu is standard practice on all Mac applications. Please do something to fix this!!!
- Very often I click somewhere on a chart unintentionally and the screen centres on where I clicked. Can we please have an "Undo" function to return to the previous arrangement?

I am not trying to be overly critical of OpenCPN - it is truly amazing, especially now that I have become proficient at weather routing. This is very important to me as we are about to embark on a 3 - 4 year cruise around the South Pacific departing from Panama in late March. I was considering buying a subscription to Predict Wind but OpenCPN weather routing is almost as good and you have the additional benefit of trip planning (and much more) with OpenCPN.

Can I round off by saying that there is a problem with saving the formatting of the "Weather Routing - WeatherRoutingConfiguration.xml window. Most of the columns are closed up and after resetting the column widths, the format is lost when OpenCPN is shutdown and then restarted. It used to hold the settings for the columns in the previous stable version of OpenCPN.

Really guys, I am thrilled with OpenCPN - just wish I was smart enough to assist with the development work. Please keep up the good work.
Should have also mentioned that I am running OpenCPN for MacOS ver 4.8.2 build 2018-02-06 and WeatherRouting PI 1.11.0.
Old 09-02-2018, 00:48   #2561

Boat: Amel Sharki

kevinvh,

if not changed the key settings the F3 key usually shows all windows on a screen, even the windows hidden below others. See e.g.:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5871813

Some other problems using OpenCPN with macOS results to the fact that OpenCPN uses the so called wxWidgets libraries which has still many bugs for macOS. Using wxWidgets should make source code usable for any operating system but sadly this does not work quite well for macOS. The only solution is to rewrite the code to use only macOS functions directly with clean C++ code, Objective-C or Swift.

BTW I've never used the Weatherroute plugin. It seems to be one of the plugins with the most problems, see the threads here about Weatherroute.

Gerhard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	keyboard.png
Views:	71
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	163767  
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 01:32   #2562

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Il existe un outil de performance à la voile, qui permet d'insérer des informations dans le flux NMEA, pendant la navigation (ID de la voile, ID photos, notes, ...) et de refaire la navigation, a posteriori, avec les traces, les informations vent et courant.
There is a performance tool to sail, which allows to insert information in the NMEA stream, during navigation (ID of the sail, ID photos, notes, ...) and redo the navigation, a posteriori, with traces, wind and current information.
See "SailingPerformance_RaceReplay_*.png" in https://github.com/BernardMayer/nmeaDB/tree/master/Doc (or SailingPerformance - Products)
Old 09-02-2018, 05:20   #2563

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
kevinvh,

if not changed the key settings the F3 key usually shows all windows on a screen, even the windows hidden below others. See e.g.:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5871813

Some other problems using OpenCPN with macOS results to the fact that OpenCPN uses the so called wxWidgets libraries which has still many bugs for macOS. Using wxWidgets should make source code usable for any operating system but sadly this does not work quite well for macOS. The only solution is to rewrite the code to use only macOS functions directly with clean C++ code, Objective-C or Swift.

BTW I've never used the Weatherroute plugin. It seems to be one of the plugins with the most problems, see the threads here about Weatherroute.

Gerhard
Thanks for the explanation Gerhard - sound like I have to hold my breath for a long time.

I can't get the F3 key to work with OpenCPN - nothing happens. I also can't get it to work with other Mac applications. I must be doing something wrong - hold down the Fn key and press F3 key along top row of keyboard?
Old 09-02-2018, 05:22   #2564

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvh View Post
Thanks for the explanation Gerhard - sound like I have to hold my breath for a long time.

I can't get the F3 key to work with OpenCPN - nothing happens. I also can't get it to work with other Mac applications. I must be doing something wrong - hold down the Fn key and press F3 key along top row of keyboard?
The key is correct, just don't hold Fn. He is for some reason talking about generic macOS functionality, nothing to do with OpenCPN...
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:32   #2565

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
The key is correct, just don't hold Fn. He is for some reason talking about generic macOS functionality, nothing to do with OpenCPN...
The F3 key does nothing on my Mac in any application. Tried pressing F3 key - nothing; the Fn-F3 key - nothing???