Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 27-06-2019, 04:41   #2881

GPGLL GPRTE as inputs

Is there any way to use GPGLL and GPRTE as inputs in OpenCPN?

I basically just need to visualize what is going on in the gps that is emitting these NMEA sentences but it seems like OpenCPN is only capable of transmitting these messages, not visualize these.

Regards
Laro88
Laro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 05:12   #2882

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: GPGLL GPRTE as inputs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laro88 View Post
Is there any way to use GPGLL and GPRTE as inputs in OpenCPN?

I basically just need to visualize what is going on in the gps that is emitting these NMEA sentences but it seems like OpenCPN is only capable of transmitting these messages, not visualize these.

Regards
Laro88
OpenCPN recognized Nmea sentences
GLL https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...tude_longitude

xxxRTE https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...xxrte_-_routes

Opencpn does not support Nmea 2.0 or GPGLL or GPRTE as far as I know.
https://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/nmea.htm
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 05:42   #2883

Re: Feature Requests

They seem to be outputs only - I was hoping that they worked as inputs as well for then a gps is running the show and I just need a nice visualization of the ongoing activities :-)

Is is possible to write a plugin that listens to incoming NMEA datagrams? If so then I am tempted to look at creating a visualization plugin for the active navigation waypoints.
Old 27-06-2019, 07:41   #2884

Quote:
They seem to be outputs only - I was hoping that they worked as inputs as well for then a gps is running the show and I just need a nice visualization of the ongoing activities :-)

Is is possible to write a plugin that listens to incoming NMEA datagrams? If so then I am tempted to look at creating a visualization plugin for the active navigation waypoints.

I suggest that you try nmeaconverter_pi

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...nmea_converter

and make any further comments on this thread:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...or-145073.html

Thanks.
Old 27-06-2019, 08:00   #2885

Boat: Najad 34

Laro88..
--GLL is, together with other sentences, used to give own position. The time is read but so far not used what I can see.
--RTE is recognized but not used.
Visualization?? How do you mean? Try NMEA debug window.

Every kind of plugin is possible to build. It's open for everyone. You need some programming skills or to convince someone having the skills about the joy and benefits of your idea.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 08:06   #2886

Quote:
t creating a visualization plugin for the active navigation waypoints.
What is inadequate about the way Opencpn itself shows the active route or another inactive route for that matter?
Are you looking for a plugin that will take a nmea stream of GPRTE and show them as a potential route on the chart?
Why not just import the route in GPX format and then display the route in Opencpn?
Old 27-06-2019, 11:34   #2887

Laro88 ...

Make a connection using TCP, in/out, network address 0.0.0.0, port 2947 (default) and the NMEA debug window will show the output from the GPS. This can be read by a plugin.

The plugin API has "SetNMEASentence(wxString &sentence)". This function reads the NMEA sentences. You need to enable this using "WANTS_NMEA_SENTENCES" in the "init" function of the plugin.

After that anything is possible.

Mike
Rasbats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 00:06   #2888

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
What is inadequate about the way Opencpn itself shows the active route or another inactive route for that matter?
Are you looking for a plugin that will take a nmea stream of GPRTE and show them as a potential route on the chart?
Why not just import the route in GPX format and then display the route in Opencpn?
OpenCPN does what the gps is doing, so I would like OpenCPN to just visualize the current state of affairs - not being the navigator.
Old 28-06-2019, 05:54   #2889

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
OpenCPN does what the gps is doing, so I would like OpenCPN to just visualize the current state of affairs - not being the navigator.
It may be a language issue so let me try to understand your question. I think what you are saying is that some other device is sending waypoint information to the autopilot. This is not a normal function of a GPS but some multi-function units with GPS can send waypoint data to an autopilot. But the GPS is not doing that it’s the computer of the MFD doing it.

You want OpenCPN to show the destination waypoint created by another device and display the navigation status window the same as what happens now for an internally generated destination waypoint. Is that what you are asking?

I think this would be best done via a plugin but it may be possible to modify the base code of OpenCPN to do it.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 09:47   #2890

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
It may be a language issue so let me try to understand your question. I think what you are saying is that some other device is sending waypoint information to the autopilot. This is not a normal function of a GPS but some multi-function units with GPS can send waypoint data to an autopilot. But the GPS is not doing that it’s the computer of the MFD doing it.

You want OpenCPN to show the destination waypoint created by another device and display the navigation status window the same as what happens now for an internally generated destination waypoint. Is that what you are asking?

I think this would be best done via a plugin but it may be possible to modify the base code of OpenCPN to do it.
I am also not clear about what Laro88 is trying to achieve.

I am not on board so can't be certain but I am pretty sure OpenCPN already does what you (transmitterdan) are saying OpenCPN doesn't do.

I have a Raymarine AP, Garmin GPS and OpenCPN. When WP's are uploaded to GPS from OpenCPN or a WP is entered on the GPS the GOTO function on the GPS, results in the Active WP showing on OpenCPN but ONLY after GOTO is pressed. OpenCPN does not show other WP's stored in the GPS. OpenCPN does NOT control the AP, a setup that allows navigation (GPS/AP) to function when OpenCPN is off-line or shut down.

So effectively if the WP is entered on the GPS (another device) it is displayed on OpenCPN when GOTO is initiated.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 06:41   #2891

Tupiaia,
What is your Garmin GPS? Does it require any special setup, or actions to do this?
Thanks.
Old 13-07-2019, 06:59   #2892

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
rszemeti...
Everything is of course possible but I wonder for what reason. While you create a route and the cursor is close to a screen edge the chart will move in that direction. That's similar to a drag. The different zoom tools are also still working in case you need a bigger distance move.
My chart (raster) does not move when the cursor is close to the screen edge when creating a route. Very frustrating. I am using the latest download version for Windows 10 I could find, 5.0.0+9065270. Is there a setting to turn scrolling on as described above?
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 11:14   #2893

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmojo View Post
My chart (raster) does not move when the cursor is close to the screen edge when creating a route. Very frustrating. I am using the latest download version for Windows 10 I could find, 5.0.0+9065270. Is there a setting to turn scrolling on as described above?
Well, it does for me on Win10 in all Windows modes. Let's check we're talking about the same thing:
Start creating a route by any of the available tools. Click to position the first mark. Move the cursor towards a window border but do not pass it. When the cursor is in the area from zero to approximately one centimeter from a border the chart is moved. Up, down, left or right dependence on the closest border. This is working for me. Vector or raster charts.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 12:18   #2894

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

No Joy. The chart doesn't move at all. I recall it moving once before when doing a route, but not now. I tried deleting the program and downloading a fresh copy with a fresh install. No difference. The only thing I didn't do was delete the configuration file. Guess that may be next.....
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 12:39   #2895

Boat: Valiant 42

In Options->Display->Advanced is use OpenGL box enabled?
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote