Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 21-08-2019, 06:18   #2911

Re: Feature Requests

Check me out I am done with you.
Good bye.
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 08:23   #2912
Marine Service Provider

Bye...

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 03:29   #2913

Boat: Alpa 9.50

using a wheel mouse the scale of the Chart zoom from very low to very high.
Please, consider to insert a “lock” button near the + and -
And it will be helpful also to have the numeric scale 1:xxxxx editable, to be able to type in a known value, i.e. 1:25000 etc.
Arruba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 06:18   #2914

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arruba View Post
using a wheel mouse the scale of the Chart zoom from very low to very high.
Please, consider to insert a “lock” button near the + and -
And it will be helpful also to have the numeric scale 1:xxxxx editable, to be able to type in a known value, i.e. 1:25000 etc.
I attach an image of what I think
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scale mappe.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	198492  
Old 23-08-2019, 06:38   #2915
Marine Service Provider

Arruba...

re:
to be able to type in a known value, i.e. 1:25000...

Please note that the scale values shown are "true scale on the screen in use at the time", and have no direct relation to similar scale values printed on paper charts.
So, if the number in OCPN is 25,000, it means that 1" on the screen is equivalent to 25000 inches in the real world.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 07:34   #2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Arruba...

Please note that the scale values shown are "true scale on the screen in use at the time", and have no direct relation to similar scale values printed on paper charts.
So, if the number in OCPN is 25,000, it means that 1" on the screen is equivalent to 25000 inches in the real world.

Dave
Yes, but notwithstanding it will be helpful, if I know the number I have to type in to show a desired area, i.e. the surrounding of my harbour, or my anchorage, etc.
instead of clicking on + and - or play with the mouse wheel.

Thank you for your reply.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:27   #2917

Boat: Albin Ballad 9.1

Automatically Turn on all waypont names.
When setting out routes I notice the waypoint names are not visible.
The default setting in the waypoint properties screen shows the names box unchecked.

Right now I'm right-clicking on each waypoint on a route and ticking the names box to get the names to show on screen... pretty slow going.

Would it be possible, somewhere in "settings"?, to put a tick box that would allow all waypoint names to show?

prjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:44   #2918

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by prjacobs View Post
Automatically Turn on all waypont names.
When setting out routes I notice the waypoint names are not visible.
The default setting in the waypoint properties screen shows the names box unchecked.

Right now I'm right-clicking on each waypoint on a route and ticking the names box to get the names to show on screen... pretty slow going.

Would it be possible, somewhere in "settings"?, to put a tick box that would allow all waypoint names to show?

This is already in flyspray 2558. Give it some more votes.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 16:42   #2919

Boat: Nordic 44

I am running 4.8.4 so if my requests are in later releases or there are ways to do this now please tell me.

Request #1:

Provide the ability to copy a route to a different name.

Reason: I name my routes "location a to location b". I would like a second route "location b to location a" without having to reverse the existing route and renaming it. Right now I have to create a second route manually or as I said, rename and reverse the existing route. Also I often travel to a destination before or beyond and existing destination so I would like to copy the route and edit it to my new destination.

Request #2:

Provide the option to permanently say yes or no to the "Do you want to use the nearby waypoint ?" question.

Reason: When laying out a new route that partially overlaps an existing route answering this question constantly slows down the process. I may have the overlapping route displayed as a reference But cannot just click on waypoints without this annoying question. This goes back to request #1 because if I could copy and then modify an existing route I would not have to repeat the process.

My cruising ground is the Pacific Northwest - Washington state to Alaska and I am frequently navigating in narrow channels that I have gone through before but the destination is often not the same.

Thank you for considering these changes for a future release
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 17:15   #2920

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Part of this request is similar to my desire to be able to split a route between any two waypoints such that you end up with two separate routes (auto name the split with "RouteName(1)" etc. Along with that, allow the ability to join the end of one route to either the beginning or end of another route. This allows you to have a route up a twisting channel that can then be joined to any of several routes from the end of the channel to different destinations. This feature exists in Nobeltec and I used it extensively until switching to OpenCPN. It's the only thing I miss since I made the switch.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 17:41   #2921

Boat: a sailing boat

@ Dave

I have downloaded the most recent version after a long update gap and can't see if now it is possible to send a wpt or a route directly to a network device?

I tried right clicking a WPT then 'send to' but my network connected device is not there, only COM ports ...

You will remember we found some solutions with bridging coms with net etc., but I hoped one day our make shift methods would be no longer required.

Very best regards and as always big thanks for all your fantastic work!

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:37   #2922

Hello,

How can I enter any text on a touchscreen when touch screen option is enabled in openCPN? There is no on screen keyboard
coming up when I touch a text input field.
I’ve enabled search for objects on charts and trying to use it on a touchscreen I want to have in a cockpit. I’m using raspberry pi 4 openCPN version 5.0.0

Should it pop up on screen keyboard?
What am I missing?

Thanks,
—MG
mgrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:39   #2923

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Request #1:

Provide the ability to copy a route to a different name.

Reason: I name my routes "location a to location b". I would like a second route "location b to location a" without having to reverse the existing route and renaming it. Right now I have to create a second route manually or as I said, rename and reverse the existing route. Also I often travel to a destination before or beyond and existing destination so I would like to copy the route and edit it to my new destination.

This one is easy. Create your route. Export it. Reverse the route and change the name. Export it. Now you have two routes, one running in each direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Request #2:

Provide the option to permanently say yes or no to the "Do you want to use the nearby waypoint ?" question.

Reason: When laying out a new route that partially overlaps an existing route answering this question constantly slows down the process. I may have the overlapping route displayed as a reference But cannot just click on waypoints without this annoying question. This goes back to request #1 because if I could copy and then modify an existing route I would not have to repeat the process.

Not needed because exporting routes allows you to make copies.

Think of "export" and "import" as "save" and "load" in any other piece of software. Create a route. Give it a meaningful name. Export it, giving the file the same meaningful name. Delete the route from OpenCPN if you're not going to use if further. When you need that route again, import it. If you want to reverse it or modify it, do so. Change the name to something which is meaningful for the edited version. Export it, using the new route name as the file name.

This is no harder than loading a Word document, editing it, and saving it under a new name. It might have been more obvious if the developers had named those functions "Save" and "Load" in the first place, but they didn't, so we live with "Export" and "Import".

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:13   #2924

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
This one is easy. Create your route. Export it. Reverse the route and change the name. Export it. Now you have two routes, one running in each direction.

Think of "export" and "import" as "save" and "load" in any other piece of software. Create a route. Give it a meaningful name. Export it, giving the file the same meaningful name. Delete the route from OpenCPN if you're not going to use if further. When you need that route again, import it. If you want to reverse it or modify it, do so. Change the name to something which is meaningful for the edited version. Export it, using the new route name as the file name.

This is no harder than loading a Word document, editing it, and saving it under a new name. It might have been more obvious if the developers had named those functions "Save" and "Load" in the first place, but they didn't, so we live with "Export" and "Import".

Fabbian
Fabbian, From the documentation I had the impression that export removes the route from OPENCPN Is that right? In that case I would have to export the route, import it, rename the exported route and import it again. That is a bit of a kluge solution. A copy function would be much cleaner.

Brian
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:36   #2925

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post

Fabbian

Fabbian, do you agree that the contents of this discussion, in some condensed form, need to be in the section on Routes? If so, you could add them, or I can. Let me know please.

Also since you are well versed in this, are there some reasonable changes that could be made and added to feature requests, that are not already there?

Thanks.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote