Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 29-12-2021, 11:20   #3226

Location: Staging in Honolulu before sailing to Vancouver this summer
Boat: Southern Cross 35
Re: Display scaling not quite working...where should I go with this issue ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Question: what screen size does OpenCPN report? Correct one (horizontal width in mm)?
Options|Display|advanced

Thank you for your question...here is the answer.
I have not experimented with this setting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OCPN_8.png
Views:	74
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	250486  
Old 29-12-2021, 11:26   #3227

Re: Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
I have a new Dell XPS 17 with 4k Display with Win10.

You have to set the OS System Display settings for text to 250%.
Opencpn does not have this function, I believe it is an OS function.
Doesn't kubuntu provide this important feature?
Here are my OS settings, OpenCPN settings, and right click result with 4k screen.

Hi, thank you for your replay and question.

Yes indeed, Kubuntu in that respect with other linux distribution like Ubuntu has this setting. Mine is set to 200% as you can see in the screen capture above.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OCPN_9.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	250487  
Old 29-12-2021, 12:28   #3228

Quote:

OK...great stuff and an interesting addition to the help menu...thanks.

First: I will investigate in Kubuntu/Ubuntu how to "Override high DPI scaling behavior…”," only for OCPN...this is not readily available under the OCPN Icon property....and I will report back.

Second: The General Options User Interface Setting (Scaled Graphics Interface Checkbox and Scale Factor Slide Bar Value) have no effect on the tiny fonts in theses Property Windows (likely all property windows including the main right-click property for which I have no screen capture). Seams like a omission in OCPN software for this version anyway.

Third: The Radar Dialogue Window still does not 'resize automatically' to accommodate bigger font setting (Dialogue Font Setting)... which also could be fix in OCPN code from my point of view.

I hope this all make sense and that OCPN development will keep a multi-platform goal in its future development.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OCPN_10.png
Views:	47
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	250490   Click image for larger version

Name:	OCPN_11.png
Views:	51
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	250491  

Name:	OCPN_12.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	333.4 KB
ID:	250492  
Old 29-12-2021, 13:20   #3229
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirare View Post
Thank you for your question...here is the answer.
I have not experimented with this setting.

So your screen is 1,020 meter wide? Don't think so as you mentioned 15,6".
And if you go "manual", entering the real value?
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2021, 16:27   #3230

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
So your screen is 1,020 meter wide? Don't think so as you mentioned 15,6".
And if you go "manual", entering the real value?

Right, I have set it now to 345, it correspond to the physical width of my 4k display.

Option/User Interface / Enable Scaled Graphic Interface it checked

The only apparent changes are bigger drop down vertical menu on the left as well as GSP Status & the other icon menu on the right of the display. Looks like it only has a effect on the graphic element (icons).

Everything from my previous post still stand as an issue.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OCPN_13.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	467.0 KB
ID:	250504  
Old 30-12-2021, 04:46   #3231

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Just to be sure, you did or tried https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuw...q#s...th_4k_displays again?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2021, 11:52   #3232

Quote:
Just to be sure, you did or tried https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuw...q#s...th_4k_displays again?

I did... it only made proportionally bigger the vertical menu on the left as well as GPS Status and the other icon menu on the bottom right of the display.

This setting (Scaled Graphic Interface Check Box) and the User Interface Scale Factor Slide only effects those graphical elements of the display (icons). Just to be clear, they don't have a effect on the tiny fonts in the problematic Windows (Right-Click, Radar Display Preferences, Dashboard...references, About OpenCPN...) nor affects the size of the Radar Dialogue Window that is to small for the font I made bigger adjusting the Dialogue font size in Option/User Interface.
Old 30-12-2021, 13:27   #3233

[QUOTE=spirare;3545644]OK...great stuff and an interesting addition to the help menu...thanks.

First: I will investigate in Kubuntu/Ubuntu how to "Override high DPI scaling behavior…”," only for OCPN...this is not readily available under the OCPN Icon property....and I will report back.

Report: Interesting results ! Setting back the Display Scale from 200% to 100% AND increasing general Font DPI to 192 might be the way to set a small size 4K Display ! The DPI setting affect positively all of the desktop application hence no need to 'Override only OCPN DPI setting".

This makes the tiny fonts in the problematic Windows (Right-Click, Radar Display Preferences, Dashboard...references, About OpenCPN...) big enough to be readable...a nice workaround...I hope however that this will be address in future OCPN version.

The Radar Dialogue Window remains to small for the font however... can't seams to find how to change that particular font anymore...it need to be made smaller now to fit in the fixed window size ?
Old 30-12-2021, 19:08   #3234

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Yes, that was the whole point of one of my posts.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2021, 19:31   #3235

Quote:
Yes, that was the whole point of one of my posts.

Thank you for your guidance...

OCPN on my Linux / 4k small display setup is now up & running & quite usable...I can live with the few annoyances left as reported in my last post.

Old 04-02-2022, 07:27   #3236
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 42 catamaran
Crash Repots when offline

Since installing 5.6.0 I have been getting a number of crashes. Each time it gives me the option of sending a crash report. The problem is I am at sea, not online. So I can't send them.

Can we please have a 'Send Later' button that either detects when you are online and offers to send them, or else prompts you next time OCN is loaded up? Since one normally is close to shore when loading OCN one would then have the opportunity to get connected to the internet and fire off the accumulated crash reports before setting sail on one's voyage. Again it would want to have a 'Send Later' button that saves the reports up until it is convenient to send them.

Not sure why I am getting so many crashes now. Didn't happen previously with 5.2

Thanks

Life is too short to live in ugly places.
LifePart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 08:20   #3237

Boat: Alubat Ovni 395
Re: Crash Repots when offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifePart2 View Post
Since installing 5.6.0 I have been getting a number of crashes. Each time it gives me the option of sending a crash report. The problem is I am at sea, not online. So I can't send them.
You don't say which platform you are using.

It sounds like MacOS. If so, the is an OS system feature and the report is sent to Apple, which does not help at all. There is nothing OpenCPN can do about this.

However, you can copy the text and save it somewhere to submit to OpenCPN later.
Antipole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 10:06   #3238

Boat: Amel Sharki

@LifePart2
First of all when you have a lot of crashes with an update I would go back to the version which has worked for you. Often the bugs in new versions will be fixed later on.

When you are using macOS you can find all crash data and more diagnostics in your home folder ~Library/Logs/ and in the subfolders CrashReporter and DiagnosticReports. They are ascii files and therefore human readable.
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 15:43   #3239
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 42 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
@LifePart2
First of all when you have a lot of crashes with an update I would go back to the version which has worked for you. Often the bugs in new versions will be fixed later on.

When you are using macOS you can find all crash data and more diagnostics in your home folder ~Library/Logs/ and in the subfolders CrashReporter and DiagnosticReports. They are ascii files and therefore human readable.
Actually it is on a Raspberry Pi 3+B.

Not a big issue for me, but it just seems to me that it would be sensible to have this feature. After all, crashes can only happen when the program is running, and if the program is running the chances are that it is at sea and off the grid. So if the developers actually want to receive these reports it would be helpful to have an easy way to send them once back close to shore.

In the past I have just ignored them as it is too difficult to send them, and then I just hope the bug gets fixed in the next update.

Life is too short to live in ugly places.
LifePart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 10:43   #3240

Re: Feature Requests -BSP/AWA/AWS calibration, accurate TWD/TWA/TWS??

I'm new to OpenCPN so forgive me if the answer is out there and I missed it.
My wind sensor is off by about 5 degrees and has some non-linearity due to upwash from the main. The paddlewheel is quite non-linear, needing varying amounts of correction at different boatspeeds. The compass offset can be set, so I'm pretty confident in HDG. The goal is to get accurate TWA/TWD/TWS outputs, which I can't currently do.

What would it take to add the ability to set a directional offset for AWA and tables for BSP and AWS so that they are corrected and derived values like TWA/TWD/TWS will also be correct?

This could be done in the Tactical plugin, but that appears to be downstream of the logic that captures the inputs HDG/BSP/AWA/AWS.
skippermdj is offline   Reply With Quote