Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 24-08-2010, 07:56   #496
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Chart Categories

With the addition of the Pilot Charts, I'll restate a request I had way back when.

It'd be nice to have a way to group charts into categories. The different types of charts made by individuals cannot be identified. So the system can't tell the difference between a New Zealand hand referenced navigation chart, a topo map, a photo or a pilot chart. Also, there is the case where I have downloaded more than one set of rasters for one area, they both show slightly different features - I might want to switch between them.

How about a chart category feature? Should allow for unlimited categories.

Code:
Category                   Topographic Maps
Show Icon on toolbar?      Yes
    (Choose Icon ->)

Directory(s)               C:\Charts\topo_us
                           C:\Charts\topo_indonesia
Code:
Select Category               Show Icon

Topographic Maps                  N
Photos - Color                    Y
Photos - B&W                      N
Pilot Charts                      Y
Raster - USA - East Coast         Y
Raster - USA - West Coast         N
Raster - USA - Rivers             Y
Raster - Mediterranean - Set 1    Y
Raster - Mediterranean - Set 2    Y
ENC - USA - East Coast            Y
ENC - USA - West Coast            N
ENC - USA - Rivers                Y
CM93                              Y

Then in the Chart tab, you could choose a directory OR category.

There could also be a box in the toolbar tab to override the Icon Y/N flags and just not show any at all - this is for people who don't really need this and/or want to conserve real estate.

From the toolbar you could click on the icon for a chart type to switch to that type of chart. So, you can change chart sets without going in and having to select a new directory structure and waiting for the database update. When using Nobeltec, I switch back an forth very often. Sometimes several times in a single minute from photo/raster/vector to compare features. I can especially see this being handy for pilot charts.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 11:10   #497

Boat: Dufour 35
The other day I was pondering how to further automate my weather chart scripts, and wished that it would be possible to send a signal to the opencpn process.
If for example the opencpn code could catch the SIGUSR1signal, and as a response force a full chart database rebuild, a script could download and convert the latest weather maps as they became available and the script could then
Quote:
$ kill -USR1 `pidof opencpn`
and the latest weather charts would seamlessly become available, without any user action.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 11:14   #498

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Doesnt this scream for a zygrib type plugin that then does a database rebuild?
Old 27-08-2010, 16:07   #499

Boat: Beneteau First 38
AIS

Excuse me for not going through the whole thread so if I request something someone already did request, I do apologize...

It would be great to have:
- better NMEA monitoring. Not only for the GPS, also for the AIS I'd like to monitor the raw data
- in windows using Stentec software (local dutch sailor software) I see >10 AIS targets in my vicinity. In openCPN, on Ubuntu Linux, I get two...
- more seamless charts. now i am zoomed in a bit, and an area next to it is grey... and only shown when I zoom out. Wouldn't it be better to just show it, with the less detail it supposedly has? (CM93)
- more config options. baudrate, for AIS and GPS. Along with above NMEA monitoring

Also a tip for people using a Multiplexer from Shipmodul, on Linux. I have the miniplex-AIS-USB. To get it to work:
[ubuntu] Shimodul Miniplex-USB-AIS not working - Ubuntu Forums

But, last but not least: GREAT effort! This piece of software has great potential!
Gangmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 20:17   #500

Drawing chart

Dear bdbcat,

I really like this tools.. it's help me in displaying ENC map.
my question is did OpenCPN has feature to print all of cell S-57 file map I have in specific scale ?
I already download the source code, but I don't have any idea to add that feature on OpenCPN. is there any developer documentation ?
what I need is producing image in specific scale from all of cell S-57 file map that i had defined before.

i really need your help.
thanks in advance.

warm regards,

tenlee
tenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 13:04   #501

Hi,
i don't follow this forum every day, but just wanted to give some information about a small software project I'm actually working on, and which may give an answer to some features asked here:
1. more indepth NMEA analysis: As part of point 2 I'm writing this. (need this also for my own ship network) See printscreen below.
2. Polar diagrams: I'm working on an app which gives real-time info about actual performance compared to polar. Polars are stored in a small database (depending on chosen sail combination). Program will be able to make polar diagram based on sailing data + offers possibility to correct or input these data manually (see printscreens below)
At this moment, the program will run independent of OpenCPN, since the plug-in interface is in Beta and i just don't want to get blocked by the on going development on this. I'm using VSPE to get both apps run at the same time on same com-port.
Since writing all this code takes a lot of my free-time + at this moment of the year sailing stays my firts priority during the WE, i foresee first beta's somewehere at the end of the year.
Code will be opensource, but is written in Lazarus (Open-Source Delphi lookalike. Compiles to Windows, Linux and MaCOS)
Although i'll first focus on my own ideas, if you have suggestions feel free to post them
Greetings,
Francis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Polar.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	18835   Click image for larger version

Name:	NMEA.JPG
Views:	493
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	18836  

Sailing Hanse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 13:16   #502

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Fantastic, lets hope the different languages wont be causing issues at some stage..

You may wish to consult capcode, free software written in java, for inspiration
Old 02-09-2010, 10:18   #503

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking
Search Feature - My appologies if this has been mentioned already...
What I'm looking for is a way to search for islands, towns, etc (text embedded within the charts) so I can find something when someone says "We found a great anchorage just north of Pulau Pisang." Even if the data isn't organized well, it's all in the CM93 chart database & computers are a lot better at pawing through all that stuff than I am.

Thanks so much for the chart quilting! Much appreciated! V2 is awesome.
Old 03-09-2010, 00:05   #504

logbook

With the new plugins it is now possible to display a lot of NMEA data.
it would be nice if would could log those data at a regular time interval

I use those data as a start for my logbook (under Excel)

Or even better, a full logbook plugins.
Pegase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 14:01   #505

Boat: IW 31
I really like open CPN. I find it awesome that there is now an open source navigation software for Linux and I think you have done a wonderful job so far. I've tried it and it did fairly well in comparison to MaxSea (especially when the difference in time devoted to development is considered). One thing I am missing though is the weather routing based on GRIB data. That would be a really cool feature and would especially attract the regatta folk.

Best regards

betelnuss
betelnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:03   #506

Sounding

Hi All,

is there any way to simplified the appearance of sounding feature in S-57 format ?
because when i turn on the 'ShowSoundings' feature, it's look so messy.
compare to another commercial tool like fugawi they can simplified it.

any idea all ?

warm regards,

Stanley

Old 08-09-2010, 08:56   #507

Boat: Dufour 35
Have you tried ticking the "Use Scamin" box in the ToolBox->Vector Charts??
More here Vector Chart Display | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:30   #508
Marine Service Provider

tenlee...

It looks as if you are looking at two different S57 cells. The soundings are part of the cell database, and should be the same on all S57 ENC viewers.

I can't find a case where the same cell shows more cluttered soundings on opencpn than the other systems. I'd love to see this case for review and debug.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 19:00   #509

Thumbs up

@Thomas
thank you very much Thomas, that like what I want. so sorry for my newbie question.

@Dave
Hi dave, thanks for your reply. yups openCPN work correctly, after I did what Thomas suggest, the Sounding totally same with other system.
I like your application

warm regards,

Tenlee
Old 12-09-2010, 21:14   #510

Color difference

Dear all,

I want find help from yours, regarding about changing color in OpenCPN.
for example I want to change the color of ENC feature LNDARE (LANDA color code) with RGB color setting like below :
- RED : 248
- GREEN : 224
- BLUE : 186

when I convert that color into Yyx format (using EasyRGB - The inimitable RGB and COLOR search engine!) :
Yxy = 76.813 0.35617 0.36856

so I tried to change on S52RAZDS.RLE file like below :
CCIE 31LANDA0.35617|0.36856|76.813|brown|

but the result of color shown in openCPN is difference RGB color code :
- RED : 255
- GREEN : 221
- BLUE : 172

anyone can help?
I really need to change the standard color with exact RGB.

thanks in advance.

warm regards,

Tenlee