Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 12:24   #541

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE
NMEA data stream dampening

My old hockey puck GPS was slow enough that OpenCPN got a nice, easy flow of data, especially COG and SMG. That unit died and I now have a BU353, works great but doesn't deal well with a rocking boat. My speed and course is all over the place now. Most dedicated chart plotters have adjustable settings to average out the GPS data which gives nice smooth display and a more accurate average course/speed made good.

So, requesting GPS dampening feature.
Thanks
Doug
Old 07-11-2010, 12:28   #542

Boat: TINTEL (36ft Hoek design) see https://www.moree.nl/tintel
I agree (have the same experience and opinion)

Peter
petermoree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:51   #543

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
My old hockey puck GPS was slow enough that OpenCPN got a nice, easy flow of data, especially COG and SMG. That unit died and I now have a BU353, works great but doesn't deal well with a rocking boat. My speed and course is all over the place now. Most dedicated chart plotters have adjustable settings to average out the GPS data which gives nice smooth display and a more accurate average course/speed made good.

So, requesting GPS dampening feature.
Thanks
Doug
I think you misunderstood me Doug, or maybe you're just unfamiliar with the tracker. Anyway, I went ahead and entered it on your behalf.
One of the reasons for the tracker is to make sure that bugs/requests are not lost in this sometimes somewhat chaotic forum.
The Tracker is nowadays the only way to make sure that a bug or request reaches Dave or one of the other developers.
Check this link FS#222 : GPS dampening
Have a look around, there are quite a few things going on. Notice for example all the bugs and requests that are actually solved.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 17:06   #544

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
I have asked for the GPS dampening fix on 3/11/10, 3/13/10, 6/2/10, and 6/26/10--its nice to know that it has FINALLY made the tracker.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 21:39   #545

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I have asked for the GPS dampening fix on 3/11/10, 3/13/10, 6/2/10, and 6/26/10--its nice to know that it has FINALLY made the tracker.
Don
The tracker is open to anyone,after a simple registration, to keep spammers out.
Please use it if you have more feature requests or find bugs.

Of course most, if not all, of your requests where from before the tracker started.

If anyone feels that his/her requests are ignored, the same advice applies - use the tracker.
Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:19   #546

Boat: Gemini 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Don
The tracker is open to anyone,after a simple registration, to keep spammers out.
Please use it if you have more feature requests or find bugs.

Of course most, if not all, of your requests where from before the tracker started.

If anyone feels that his/her requests are ignored, the same advice applies - use the tracker.
Thomas
If you're not familiar with the tracker here's how to get to it and register. Visit

http://www.opencpn.org/

the official OpenCPN Home Page.

Across the top of the screen there's a chart segment with a solid blue band below it. On the right, just above the blue band, you'll find a series of tabs. They are labelled News, About, Wiki, Download, Forum, Search, Login, and Tracker. Click the Tracker tab.

Look carefully at the two blue bands below the displayed chart segment. You'll find fields for entering Username and Password and buttons for logging in and registering. The "Register" button is tricky since its label doesn't appear until you put the mouse pointer over it. The text is black on dark blue, very hard to read. Look at the attached illustration for help locating things.

Once you're registered select the project to which you want to add a task from the drop down list below the Username field. The default setting is "OpenCPN - stable" but if you click on the downward point triangle just to the right of that text you'll see the entire list of projects and you can select the appropriate one.

I hope this helps get bug reports and feature requests to the right place.

Fabbian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TrackerReg.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	20921  
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:24   #547

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Thanks for the tips on the tracker--I registered, but it wouldn't let me login--maybe because I don't have a clue what Jabber is....
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:21   #548

Quote:
Thanks for the tips on the tracker--I registered, but it wouldn't let me login--maybe because I don't have a clue what Jabber is....
If I remember right, after you register you will get an email with a link you have to follow to complete the registration process. Once you follow that link and complete the process you will be able to log in. I do remember that I found the process a little confusing, too.

Fabbian
Old 08-11-2010, 10:25   #549

Quote:
You can either supply your email address or a Jabber ID. You don't need both. I don't know what Jabber is either, I used my email address.

Fabbian
Old 09-11-2010, 06:56   #550

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
You can either supply your email address or a Jabber ID. You don't need both. I don't know what Jabber is either, I used my email address.

Fabbian
If you're familiar with the old Internet Relay Chat (irc), think of Jabber as the modern replacement. It uses the XMPP protocol - Jabber was the first to use it, and now people tend to genericize XMPP by calling it Jabber.

If you're unfamiliar with irc, then think of Jabber and IRC as an expansion of instant messaging. Instead of one-to-one, you can talk to a bunch of people at once - great for real-time collaboration.
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:03   #551

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Feature Request: ENC/RNC chart updater

I posted something back in March, and I think it got lost in the noise.

What would be nice would be an add-in (possibly a plugin) which would check to see if NOAA (or any other international agency) has issued updates, and automatically download them. NOAA has the infrastructure in place to do it, and I think some of the commercial chartplotter vendors are at least looking into doing it.

Imagine something as simple as the system updaters for Ubuntu, Fedora and all the other Linux distros - you just add all the "repositories" of all the agencies you'd want to monitor for chart updates, and the updater handles it for you. And you would configure it to either notify you so you could manually issue an update, or have it automatically download and install it.

I created a feature request in the OpenCPN Tracker. Whaddya think? Doable?
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 04:28   #552

Boat: 110mtr Lyaemer
I would love to see more Inland ECDIS stuff implemented...
For example speed display configurable in km/h
And present position in waterway km, like:
Danube km 1927.4, displayed in a small window or in the dashboard plugin
And displaying wich VHF radio channel should be listened on in present area.

Thanks
gaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 13:37   #553

RADAR RING ENHANCEMENT

Hi

I would like to propose that the RADAR RING facility be upgraded and enhanced so that the number of rings shown and the distance of each from the boat can be independently set.

For example if you had selected 3 rings then the closest to the boat could be set at say 50 m then the second at 500m and the third at 2000m.

How difficult would it be to incorporate this into OpenCPN ?
dougwm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 15:33   #554

PORTABLE OPENCPN

Another suggestion would be a PORTABLE version of OpenCPN that does not need installing on a host computer but which can be put onto a memory stick USB etc. The charts could also be put onto the same memory stick and you then have a totally independent standalone navigation system ready to travel and be plugged into any computer that can handle the software. A MAC version would be nice as well then all the bases are covered.

This would enable you to take it from boat to boat easily and as there are no installation requirements it can be run directly from the USB.

AH Well that's what dreams are for - Hey !!!!
dougwm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 01:07   #555

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Hello doug, that could be easily attained using the distribution I pointed out here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post564285; otherwise google "persistent ubuntu usb install" outlining how to make a ubuntu usb stick install with a data partition

Feel free to document your findings in the wiki manual