Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 11:48   #571

Boat: Nidelv 28, 28ft
Send a message via Skype™ to HotRod
Chart Boundaries ON/OFF in CM93

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod View Post
Chart Boundaries
I would like to see another alternative in "Toolbox->Vector Charts->Boundaries".
You have Plain and Symbolized - I would like to have the option to turn them OFF.
Quoting myself... I found a switch "Show Chart Outlines" in "Toolbox->Settings",
but this switch does not work with CM93 ED2 apparently...
This switch should also have been moved to Vector Charts or Charts where it would be more natural to find it...

Has anyone else found this switch to be working?
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 13:11   #572

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod View Post
Quoting myself... I found a switch "Show Chart Outlines" in "Toolbox->Settings",
but this switch does not work with CM93 ED2 apparently...
This switch should also have been moved to Vector Charts or Charts where it would be more natural to find it...

Has anyone else found this switch to be working?
Tick the box, zoom out, hit the F9 key, and I would be surprised if you don't see the chart outlines in CM93. The chart outlines only shows when quilting is off.
Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 14:44   #573

Aparently the line I am talking about is not a chart outline but a boundaries line, the one you can show Plain and Symbolized. See picture.
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2010, 03:54   #574

Boat: TINTEL (36ft Hoek design) see https://www.moree.nl/tintel
dashboard remarks (tested december 9th 2010)

The dashboard will be (eventually) an improvement on the PolarCom display I currently use. Here are my comments

I use either XP3 (on board) or Vista (a home) with the tests and use the build 1207 with the CM93 set of charts

1) sizeabillity must be able to go to very large (in the enclosed examples I have set the font to 72 pts). I love to throw a glimpse inside to my large screen at the chart table and be able to read immediately the depth and speed). With the large settings the font does no fit in the window. (see screenprints especially the *position* where most data is left of)

2) the *frame* around the dashboard stays lightblue in the *dark* settings.
This is very glaring at night. (actually the top bar in windows of OpenCPN has the same problem still)

3) In Tsunamis there is a feature for the Depth reading that makes me wish I could program. A small graph is shown of the most recently passed depths. One can set the distance and depth settings. The greatness of this feature is that it shows you the steepness of the shallows you are approaching and thus an indication on how far you can go on outside the buoyed channel. It makes it possible to go for much longer tacks when tacking in a narrow channel.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dashboard-day.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	21801   Click image for larger version

Name:	dashboard-night.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	21802  

petermoree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:08   #575

Clock

A 24 hour digital clock to see when your watch is up could be a nice plugin.
When all wrapped up in foulweather gear, having to look for your glasses or take off your gloves or both just to see the time is awkward. The ideal clock could be sized and follows the night settings if desired. See the enclosed thumbnail top-bar for my (paint) suggestion.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	clock.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	21803  
Old 09-12-2010, 06:24   #576

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
+1 on GPS time - I submitted it as a feature request for dashboard on flyspray already
Old 09-12-2010, 06:33   #577

I find the Flyspray / Forum combination very confusing.
Just logged in to Flyspray (logged in to OCPN and THEN to Flyspray)
Can any one with authority suggest to me what to do?
I happily spend my days testing OCPN but then what to do?
Use the forum?
Use Flyspray?
Use both?

confused

Peter
Old 09-12-2010, 07:29   #578

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Hello Peter,

discussion here - registration and tracking of feature requests and bugs over there
Old 09-12-2010, 17:26   #579
Marine Service Provider

Peter....

Flyspray vs Forum....?

I try actively to capture bug reports from the various forum threads, and add them to my private work list. I especially note comments from regular contributors such as yourself. Sometimes it is like drinking from a firehose, and I fear occasionally good reports are lost in the noise....

In contrast, the Flyspray bug lists are the "official" OpenCPN work lists. If a bug/comment is posted in Flyspray, it will (eventually) get attention and feedback. It is never deleted, but simply "closed" when or if solved/implemented. The embedded user comments and feedback are preseved for later reference if necessary.

I agree that it is a bit more trouble to work with Flyspray, but it is the most reliable method of posting feedback and communicating bug reports.

Thanks for all your input
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 17:29   #580

Does anyone know of a way to get NMEA sentences into OpenCPN other than by way of either a single serial port or libGPS/gpsd? My search of the source code has shown nothing other than these methods. In my opinion, it would be nice if OpenCPN had a TCP (or UDP or both) socket that could receive NMEA sentences. This input could be used to plug in software simulators or software NMEA concentrators (which I would be happy to write or at least contribute to). Have I missed some feature that does this in OpenCPN?

Jim
decjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 08:50   #581

screen standby mode

hi,

I hesitate to write in this thread since I am not a frequent visitor and therefore i may have missed the request. I did try a search for the above phrase but this did not turn up anything meaningful.

Whilst navigating one rarely touches the keyboard and therefore after a while the screen goes into standby mode necessitating touching the mouse to bring the map back up. Is there already, or could we have an always on feature which stops the computer going into standby?

In anycase this is really a beautiful program which I love to use over and above more complex and obviously expensive alternatives.

Regards
xuraax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 09:02   #582

Boat: Wasa 410
Hi Xuurax,

Welcome as a OpenCPN and forum user.

This is strictly not a OpenCPN thing, it is related to your operating system and its screen saver and power saving options.

You do not mention which operating system you use. If it is windowsXP you set this like this:
Right click on the desktop, choose "properties". The "Display properties" window will open. Chose the "Screen saver" tab at the top of the window.

Check if you have a defined screen saver and how long it will take until it turns on and choose a suitable time or disable it.
Then, click on "Power" in the bottom this will open the "Power options properties" window.

In this window you set how long time it should take before the monitor turns off depending on if you run on mains power or battery.

Hope this helps
J
jonasaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 09:11   #583

If you are a windows user, check the system/energy settings

Peter
Old 15-12-2010, 11:27   #584

Quote:
Originally Posted by decjd View Post
Does anyone know of a way to get NMEA sentences into OpenCPN other than by way of either a single serial port or libGPS/gpsd? My search of the source code has shown nothing other than these methods. In my opinion, it would be nice if OpenCPN had a TCP (or UDP or both) socket that could receive NMEA sentences. This input could be used to plug in software simulators or software NMEA concentrators (which I would be happy to write or at least contribute to). Have I missed some feature that does this in OpenCPN?

Jim
NMEA is a 422 signal for starters (often mistaken for 232, can be read on a 232 port tho..), all NMEA devices I know of has a serial 422 output.
Then later some smart fellow decided to put a 422 to USB device inside the NMEA device - BUT it's still a 422 that has been ported to USB... But this only goes for a few devices.
Pro and decent equipment use native 422/232...

When you are talking about TCP I guess you are referring to network input...
Same here - you need a 422/232 to Network adaptor if you do not want to use a comport or serial to usb...

I think you can use this 422/232 to network adapter directly when selecting GPSD as source...
Not tested it my self...

Am I making any sence?
Old 15-12-2010, 13:24   #585

Boat: Pearson 323
Peter,

Have you tried the clock in PolarCOM? It also has two night display settings. Night(Blue) and Night(Red).

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	clock.png
Views:	184
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	21993  
Sail323 is offline   Reply With Quote