Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2012, 08:09   #1

Boat: Peterson 44
Freezes when using vector charts

Hello All

I just started using OpenCPN. It works perfectly on Windows 7. However when I installed it on Windows XP SP3 (Lenovo G530 laptop) the program goes "not responding" if I use vector charts. Raster charts, for example NOAA Puerto Rico, work fine. The NOAA vector version of this chart causes a freeze as does CM93 charts. Once this happens you are stuck because when you close and then reopen the program it starts with a vector chart and goes non responding immediately. I have to do a reinstallation to get it working again to try something else.

I have tried using the latest version and the older version 2.5. I read in the forum to try a manual installation of 2008 redistributables (?? can't recall the exact name). It didn't make any difference.

Anyone have any ideas?

Lew
LewDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 13:59   #2

Boat: Journeyman
Re: Freezes when using vector charts

While I can't really think of a reason for this to happen, I can make your debugging a bit easier: Just remove your opencpn.ini file instead of reinstalling, the program will start with default settings then. (On XP I think it should be located under C:\Documents and Settings\All User\Application Data\opencpn)
JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 14:02   #3

Also please post here the content of your logfile for the last run where the program freezes.

(See http://opencpn.org/ocpn/installing_opencpn#log-config for more info)
Old 30-10-2012, 11:54   #4

Boat: Peterson 44

I finally got it to work. It seemed to be a problem with the CM93 charts. My original CM93 charts are on a flash drive. Both the Windows 7 and XP computers will not recognize the charts on this drive. I copied the flash drive to the XP hard disk. Didn't work. I then copied the charts on the Windows 7 hard drive (which originally came from the flash drive) on to a DVD. The XP computer wouldn't recognize the charts, more freeze ups. I copied the DVD to the hard drive and success. It works! Does OpenCPN like to have the charts on the same drive as the program?

So, everything is working.

Lew
LewDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 04:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewDel View Post
Does OpenCPN like to have the charts on the same drive as the program?
Shouldn't make any difference unless you have problems with the drive. Intermittent read error problems with one drive can sometimes be solved by copying to another one as you did.

Tags
charts