Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2017, 15:39   #1

Garmin GLO gps

I have just purchased a garmin Glo gps receiver which connects via Bluetooth to my Ipad. Works fie.

Can I also use it to connect to my Windows 10 HP tablet on which I am running OpenCPN charts without any GPS support? The tablet will connect via Bluetooth to the Garmin Glo, but how do I get OpenCPN to receive the data from it?
I have read, and reread, the "Connecting a GPS " sections of the manual, but they weren't helpful (at least not to me). Thanks.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 16:15   #2

Re: Garmin GLO gps

I am not familiar with your tablet, but for a windows laptop you need third party software such as GPS Gate, available free (google). GPS Gate reads the Bluetooth gps stream and outputs it to a virtual com port which you can direct OpenCPN to.

You must configure GPS Gate manually and force it to recognise the GLO as a gps.....it will try to recognise it as a Bluetooth headset. Once the GLO is recognised, you must specify the com port for output, and then configure OpenCPN to look for that comm port.

Hope this procedure works on your tablet.
Lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 21:53   #3

Thanks for the suggestion. I found the GPS Gate site, but for some reason I can't download the GPS Gate program. It won't unzip (I get an error 105 message?).
Are there any other similar programs, or anybody have any other ideas?
Old 17-04-2017, 23:29   #4

I too bought a Garmin Glo and a Win 10 tablet. Turns out Win 10 is missing both ends f the process Open Cpn needs, doesn't have a GPS sensor nor can it deal with virtual comm ports. I bought the additional program GPS Complete. You load that prior to loading Open cpn. Here is the tricky bit. The programs kept trying to use the same com port (3 in my case) so would not work. I believe what fixed the situation, but I can't be sure, is uninstalling the blue tooth radio driver then turning on the Glo and it loads it's driver earlier. anyway, the Glo driver seems resident and GPS COMPLETE loads to two com ports as it should.Opencpn is running fine on my tablet. marc
Catalacmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 23:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey877 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I found the GPS Gate site, but for some reason I can't download the GPS Gate program. It won't unzip (I get an error 105 message?).
Are there any other similar programs, or anybody have any other ideas?
The download program is here GpsGate - GpsGate Client for Windows - GpsGate Client

I downloaded and installed it fine on a win 10 machine. I have to find my Glo and make sure it works on this win10 machine same as before on a win7 machine.

Lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 00:06   #6

Since we're on the subject, what are the advantages of using the GLO with an iPad, versus the built in GPS on the iPad? Especially in local bay waters?
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 00:35   #7

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
Since we're on the subject, what are the advantages of using the GLO with an iPad, versus the built in GPS on the iPad? Especially in local bay waters?
The iPad GPS is pretty basic. AFAIK, it does not even support WAAS/EGNOS corrections, a system that has been around for more than 10 years, not to mention the Russian GLONASS, the European GALILEO or the Chinese BEIDOU sat systems.
However, bluetooth GPS are much overpriced for the moment. And Garmin GLO just incorporates GLONASS receiving, resulting in increased precision in difficult conditions, a rare event when sailing (as opposed to driving in city 'canyons')
WAAS/EGNOS (in the States /Europe and similar systems for India, China ...) IS important for sailors, as it definitely improves precision, and it is amazing that it is routinely available in even cheap handheld GPS
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 19:56   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
My Ipad is WIFI only and therefore did not come with a built in GPS. You have to pay for the deluxe model with cellular data capability if you want GPS.
Old 21-04-2017, 20:24   #9

Boat: Alberg 35

I use a Garmin GLO with an iPad Mini and iSailor and it works fine. I've been thinking about a Windows tablet of some sort (something cheap!) so thanks for the info.
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 06:25   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

I tried to buy an economy Windows tablet with a gps and did not find any. Bought an Android tablet instead (USD 75). This one has gps built-in and there is no need for virtual gates nor any other in-between software.

Cheap and cheerful.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin, gps