Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2023, 19:03   #91

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Garmin (N2K) via QK A034 to OPN CPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy View Post
I have been at this for two days steady.
I am going to give it a rest.
I will check back here tomorrow!
Thank you all.
All the help is appriciated.
Can you post some screen shots of windows device manager? I would like to see the Com ports expanded showing all the com ports, and details of com 8.

Upthread there was a suggestion to use puTTY. I hadn't suggested that because if you haven't experience with it it is hard to explain how to configure for a specific connection type. (but not particularly difficult to do if you are familiar with it). Anyway, you really need some more information if you want to troubleshoot this properly. You need to know if the QT is sending data to the laptop or not. puTTY will show you that, and maybe the data isn't NMEA0183, or maybe its not the bps rate you expect. puTTY will help figure that out.

And I have learned over the years, call support sooner than later. If they aren't helpful, you aren't wasting much time. But you could save days of troubleshooting. With similar devices they are very close to plug-in-play, so there might be something unusual about this device support could tell you about.
Old 16-12-2023, 04:24   #92

From your description of the devices you have connected to your PC, and the screenshots from your Quark configuration tool, the Quark device is connected as COM8, however when OpenCPN is running, it is not receiving any data from COM8.

A very quick test to see what, if anything is being transmitted on com8 is to execute the following command from a Windows command prompt.
Code:
copy com8: con:
You could execute the same command for your other com ports, to verify the command works, although to be honest I am rather confused as to exactly what devices you have installed.
  • COM3: GPS Puck ?
  • COM5: AIS ? Does it also transmit GPS position sentences (GGA, GLL or RMC ?)
  • COM8: Quark A034
  • COM16: Qualcomm GOBI 2000 WWAN/GPS ?

If nothing appears on com8, then it would also be useful to add a tcp connection in OpenCPN to see if that will receive any data.
From your screenshots of the Quark configuration tool, use the following settings:
Connect your PC to the Quark WiFi using the SSID QK-A034_4u9x and password 88888888.
The OpenCPN TCP connection will be IP address 192.168.1.100 and port 2000

If nothing appears it seems as though the Quark A034 is not transmitting any traffic, either through misconfiguration or perhaps a faulty device.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2023, 10:44   #93

Boat: Cal 27

https://www.quark-elec.com/forum/topic/a034-usb-issue/

Found this item on the Quark Electric forums. They were able to make it work by starting OpenCPN first, with QK off, then start QK.

"In a nutshell the MUX appears only to talk to openCPN if you restart the MUX after the OpenCPN application has fully loaded."

Also noted, that in their video, they have the baud in OpenCPN set to 38400.
cas206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2023, 01:17   #94

Boat: Aluminum, Brewer 54.

Thank team.
I am away from the yacht till the end 9f the week.
No access to the ships computer or QK.
I will double check these suggestions when I am back, and post what I find.
Cheers and thanks again.

Grippy
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 15:46   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy View Post
Quark Configuration tool, has no facility to copy and paste feed info.
seems to be working correctly,
shows " Connected" at the bottom center,
but also shows com8 closed RX 2492
Its a shame Quark configuration tool doesn't have copy and paste feature, however it automatically create a txt file in the same foder to record the data in the window. I found its very useful. Good luck.
ChristianV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin