Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2015, 07:55   #46

Re: Garmin xHD Radar Overlay

Ordered and should receive a xhd here any day, would you like me to do some testing for you?

Thanks,
Guy
:-)
Aikiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 10:32   #47

Boat: Allegro 33

Sure Guy!

I would be happy if you could try it out.
What OS are you running ?
Are you able to build it from source ?
If not, I can supply you with a Windows version.

Keep in mind, you are the first to try it in action on a boat.
So, of course anything can happen. At the moment I am not
able to do any debugging. We will be launching in a month or so
and from middle of May all should be installed and we will be on the
way to the Caribbean.

/Hans
hasse_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 00:06   #48

It would be great if you could send me a windows install.

Thanks,
Guy
Old 22-03-2015, 02:43   #49

Ok Guy, here goes.

Remove the .pdf from the name and place it under the plugins directory of your OpenCPN folder.
There is especially one thing I am not sure if I got it right and that is the distance to target. It might be off by a factor of 2. It will be great with some feedback on that.
I have not been able to test this since my scanner has only been run on the basement floor.

/Hans
Attached Files
File Type: pdf gxradar_pi.dll.pdf (284.0 KB, 74 views)
Old 22-03-2015, 10:21   #50

My unit is coming UPS ground, but should be here early this week I would hope.

I will mount it and then test everything that I can for you.

Guy
Old 02-06-2015, 09:40   #51

I have a Garmin 24 xHD that I purchased last week. Someone on this site was kind enough to refer me to this link from a thread I had started. Has there been any more testing of this new dll? It doesn't seem to fully work for me. See my thread to see the testing I've done with this: How Do I Use OpenCPN with Garmin? - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Radar101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 13:34   #52

Hi Radar101!
Ok, the situation is as follows. Up until now I have had no chance to test the plugin live. We have just launched our boat a week ago and got the xHD radar dome up the mast 3 days ago.
Yesterday evening I got the computer and display wired up. Today I have made the first attempts of getting the plugin working. It's been some time since I let the code rest and need some time to get up and running.
Actually, you are getting a bit further than I. I get no orange dot.
When I start OpenCPN the plugin does not get standby status. Status =(0)
Unfortunately I am not yet able to debug the code. (Having trouble with Visual studio.) Now you are supposed to be running VS2013 according to developers page. I might upgrade and start from "scratch" on another computer.
At the same time we are preparing to sail south bound and are a bit choked with other things at the moment.
When things settle down I will get on with the plugin. I myself is keen getting this to work.

Are you getting any reactions when clicking on the radar icon ?

/Hans
Old 02-06-2015, 13:45   #53

Boat: Najad 34

Hasse..
Just for info: I'm still using XP and VC2010 and build wx-3.0. Follow the new build descriptions where it's also mantioned how to use 2010 instead. Compiling - Windows | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 14:08   #54

Ok, I am not getting that vital first package.
Interface priority set correct with Radar interface on top.
Packets can be seen in WireShark.

/Hans
Old 02-06-2015, 14:38   #55

Hello hasse_A. I was able to get the radar and plugin talking about an hour ago. It's plotting nicely and I confirmed the detected objects are plotting properly.

I had to do the following:
* Cross-over cable
* Ethernet adapter switch as instructed between the radar and the computer (with it closed)
* Set the IP address of the computer to 172.16.1.1, 255.255.240.0 and no gateway
* You might have to take down the windows firewall and your antivirus firewall, but I did not have to.
* I used a USB Prolific GPS for input and had this properly setup and receiving
* I had to enable the plugin, of course.
* A right mouse click on the screen, especially to the side or top of the screen will pull up a menu. Click on Garmin Radar Control. The control will then pop-up with a host of menus of its own.
* On the top of the radar control menu, select Master
* If you see the radar standby = 2, and Tx On appear on the logs, you know it is working and will begin to start graphing.
* I'm not sure what the proper sequence of opening and closing things, but I could reliably get it to work every time with a few opens and closes of the radar. I would love to be precise here, but I just got this working a short while ago.

Clicking on the radar control seems to do nothing. But the dot on the control will turn green just as the data starts to come over. I hope this was helpful. Thanks for working on this.
Old 02-06-2015, 22:14   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar101 View Post
Hello hasse_A. I was able to get the radar and plugin talking about an hour ago. It's plotting nicely and I confirmed the detected objects are plotting properly.
This is even more than I had hoped for. Great news.

Quote:
I had to do the following:
* Cross-over cable
I think the switch should take care of this. Will it not work with a straight (patch) cable?

Quote:
* I'm not sure what the proper sequence of opening and closing things, but I could reliably get it to work every time with a few opens and closes of the radar. I would love to be precise here, but I just got this working a short while ago.
Do you mean the radar control menu ?

Quote:
Clicking on the radar control seems to do nothing. But the dot on the control will turn green just as the data starts to come over. I hope this was helpful. Thanks for working on this.
Radar control ? You mean the radar icon ?
When the dot on the radar icon is amber you can start to transmit by clicking on the icon and the dot should turn green when transmitting. A second click will put the radar in standby. Is this what is happening ?

Maybe it's time to do an official release on the plugin ? What do you say Dave ?

/Hans
Old 03-06-2015, 03:40   #57

I now have the gxradar plugin operating. For some reason the standard Ethernet on my fit-PC3 did not work. Added the USB-Ethernet dongle and turned of firewall for that port and things started working.
I am moored and have not yet connected my fluxgate compass so the the world is turning the wrong direction but apart from that things seem to be operating.
I have a fit-PC3 1 GHz PC. It might be to slow. It's running with cpu usage of 70 % and I am experiencing some lagging. The xHD radar sends a lot more info for the PC to taker care of. We will see what we can do about this. Also, memory usage is at the top. Memory leek ?

/Hans
Old 22-07-2015, 14:45   #58

Hello again,

It's been a while since my last response. I'm going to do some waterside testing with my Garmin xHD radar and openCPN. I can reliably talk to it with no issues using my Windows 8.1 computer with 16 GB RAM and 1 Terrabyte drive. I have let it run for over an hour at a time with no issues.

I wanted to know if there are any more changes or a new release. I'll be testing the first week of August, so I can load up the code and try it prior to the trip.

Again, I had to use a crossover cable, and set the IP address to 172.16.1.1 on the computer and its subnet to 255.255.240.0. I did not have to change any firewall settings. I have two virus protection packages, and they work well without firewall modification. I can even connect my wifi up to the Internet and use it at the same time I'm using the radar.

Thanks.
Old 29-09-2015, 03:35   #59
Marine Service Provider

Is there any update regarding Garmin xHD radar support ? If so, any Ubuntu compiled install package ?
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 05:58   #60

Boat: Phantom 19

Petter...
did you try
Code:
sudo apt-get install opencpn-plugin-gxradar
(Only in the beta repository as there are no news about stability/functionality of this plugin)

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin, radar, xHD