Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2024, 19:42   #1

Georgian Bay Small Craft Channel Buoys Missing

I have just started experimenting with OpenCPN. I sail a Wayfarer dinghy, and have been running Navionics on an iPhone in conjunction with a TrakMaps chart book for navigation.

I also use Navionics for logging my daily tracks. After previous voyages, I would share the track link to my self, open it on a PC, and view the track in a web browser, where I could take screen captures for cruise logs.

Navionics (Garmin) have disabled this functionality for some unknown reason. Tracks can only now be opened within the Navionics mobile app.

Navionics does still support GPX export of the track. Thus my experimenting with OpenCPN.

I have been able to get OpenCPN running on a PC with the CHS vector charts purchased from o-charts. I was also able to import the GPX track successfully. The end result is probably good enough for my objectives.

However, my biggest observation, other than the CHS charts not having the detail of the Navionics charts, is that the CHS charts are not showing the buoys for the Small Craft Channel.

The main channel buoys are shown, so I know that buoy display is enabled. The small craft channel itself is indicated with a purple line, but no buoys.

My theory is that the small craft channel buoys are only shown on the CHS small craft channel strip chart, which is only available in a raster version, and thus incompatible with OpenCPN.

Is there a solution for showing these small craft channel buoys with OpenCPN, or more generally for getting the detail of the Navionics charts on OpenCPN?

Thanks,

Allan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	navdetail.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	292898   Click image for larger version

Name:	navsccbuoys.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	453.0 KB
ID:	292899  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ocdet.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	292900   Click image for larger version

Name:	ocbuoys.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	360.5 KB
ID:	292901  

ayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2024, 23:29   #2

Boat: Najad 34
Re: Georgian Bay Small Craft Channel Buoys Missing

O-charts has mostly "official" chart files from each country. They are adapted for commercial shipping and some countries do not even include guest harbor symbols.

Try here to make your own raster charts:
file:///C:/SAT2CHART/SAT2CHART.V17.0.0.2/Help/English/index.html
Follow the help menus for installation and in your case about the utility SASPlanet where some Navionics chart source are available. They have made some "touristic" additions to their charts. Hopefully relevant? For my self I've used it to make small harbor sketches when missing in "real" charts.

More knowledge and discussions here: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...rt-233353.html
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2024, 01:37   #3

Re: Georgian Bay Small Craft Channel Buoys Missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
SASPlanet where some Navionics chart source are available.
Used to be available by the looks of it...

https://webapp.navionics.com/

Still viewable online https://maps.garmin.com/en-US/marine?key=eyd6e6tu82z2

Cmap still useful & can be accessed in SasPlanet
barcoMeCasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgia