Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 10:27   #1

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Getting details from ENC

I was recently sailing with my Brother in Law on Coecles Harbor on Shelter Island (tip of Long Island). I noticed various signs regarding anchor restrictions, and was curious what the chart said. The attached image shows an ENC chart of the area. The big red numbers 1, 2, and 3 are my question. I know what 1 and 3 are because I also have the RNC chart which shows it. Number 2 I have no idea. So, here is my question:

How can I find what those lines mean using ENC charts on OpenCPN? Right clicking doesn't provide much detail. Spoiler, 3 is an anchor area, but the ENC display is exceptionally unhelpful in determining where the anchor area is (it is spread across other areas, so the described area is not clear).

On a related note, there are numerous spots that are an "I" in a circle. I assume those are information icons. Right clicking may provide data, but after trying several I'm not convinced the data that comes up is the date in the "I." I have a feeling the right click gives a fairly large search radius, and is giving me info on the nearest point it can identify (in other words, the "I" isn't the data it is giving me.)

On a very distantly related note, why do ENC still refer you to the CFR? It made a lot of sense on RNC, where the chart just isn't big enough. But on ENC, you could actually provide the text, without having to google for it. Item 3 is a special anchorage (never seen one in the wild before!), but it points you to 33 CFR 110.59 for details.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc