Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2015, 06:39   #16

Re: Getting NMEA Data Onto a Rooted Android Tablet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
No worries, I still stand by the "not intended to run on android" statement. I'm not saying it doesn't work but...
The underlying architecture is akward, it lacks in terms of useability and ergonomics. It's a special solution for a selected few that want OpenCPN on android now and can live with the drawbacks. It's not mainstream and it's certainly not the way forward. It's just a workaround while we wait for a real android OpenCPN port.

I removed the chroot environment from my tablet so I will not digg deeper into this.
I wholeheartedly disagree with your assessment. Especially since you didn't have it installed or use OpenCPN enough to make a unqualified statement like that. Also, the high resolution of your tablet is going to make using OpenCPN with it's tiny features more difficult.

Quote:
Bypassing the PC is not an issue at all. There are a few devices available that expose the NMEA data stream via TCP or UDP over wireless networks. Like the Brookhouse iMux or some devices from digitalyacht. It has certainly been done before.
Hopefully useful information others may try.

Quote:
The question is why would I want to bypass the PC?
A permanently installed micro PC or Raspberry or tablet or xyz can do the same and much much more, for less money and at a similar power consumption.
I'll just let this statement pass without comment other than it's vague and begs for more specific information.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 07:44   #17

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
No worries, I still stand by the "not intended to run on android" statement.
I thought Dockhead was intending putting Linux on his tablet, or did I misunderstand that?
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 10:39   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttnik View Post
I thought Dockhead was intending putting Linux on his tablet, or did I misunderstand that?
You understand perfectly. The method entails using an android application called 'Linux Deploy'. The android O.S. is not replaced. Once the installation is complete Linux programs like OpenCPN can be run on android devices in a linux 'chroot' environment. You can switch back and forth between linux and android seamlessly.

Instructions for doing this are here: Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Old 15-03-2015, 14:45   #19

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
The method entails using an android application called 'Linux Deploy'. The android O.S. is not replaced.
Obviously a possibility but isn't simply installing Linux (e.g. ubuntu for devices) also an option?
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 06:22   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttnik View Post
Obviously a possibility but isn't simply installing Linux (e.g. ubuntu for devices) also an option?
Which 'devices'?

If you're referring to 'Ubuntu Touch', it isn't what we were led to believe it would be during the development/pre-release hype period. Linux enthusiasts were hoping for a ROM capable of running the great Linux apps they've always used. Sadly, Ubuntu Touch just ended up being a different 'interface' laid over the android O.S.. A front end. A pretty face? You cannot run Linux programs with Ubuntu Touch.

We're still waiting for a truly Linux tablet. But, in the world of developers an O.S. that restricts their ability to make money is not a priority.

At least one dual boot tablet is offered on the market, but reviews are poor. Some android tablets have been "hacked" enabling Linux to be installed natively. But, the issue of proprietary drivers has hobbled these marginal successes.

So, we will wait and wait and....

Tags
nmea