Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 00:05   #1

Boat: Journeyman
Getting Quilting and Outlines to Play Well Using CM93 ?

I use OpenCPN with CM93Ed2 charts.
The new quilting feature is a great plus, but sometimes the display is a bit confusing.

If I turn on quilting the chart outlines disappear, even when the outlines setting is ticked. Seeing outlines when zoomed out on a remote area is a great visual lead to where more detailed info is available, so I would really love to have both!

When zooming in to an area where a port or small passage has a detail, the program seems to make a rather random choice about when to display the detail chart or not. Most of time the detail will be quilted on top of the less detailed charts only at some panning points at the same scale. Quite annoying, especially when you can't see the outline when the detail disappears...

Two screens to illustrate are. Only difference is a small pan.

Any tips on how to improve this?
/j

JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:10   #2
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Right or wrong, I think OpenCPN chooses a chart for the center of the screen. Then, quilting happens only if the chart doesn't cover the screen.

In your first example, it chose a higher resolution chart that did not cover the screen, so it filled in with the lower one. When you panned, it chose the lower resolution one (because that's all that was there). Since it filled the screen, nothing else was added.

I agree that this method does not always provide the results I would prefer.

EDIT: FYI: CM93's quilt whether quilting is on or off. I haven't checked to see if the behavior is different. I suspect the only difference would be the outlines.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:51   #3

Well the "center screen" explains the seeming randomness. I was trying to figure if it was looking at some percentage of the chart being visible or something like that but nothing made sense.

BTW, contrary to your statement quilting does not happen when it's turned off:

... and if I pan here so that the detail is no longer over the center it goes to lower res over the full window.

Anyway, this behavior is IMHO not what is expected. It could potentially cause a bit of headache when navigating a small passage and the detailed chart is all of a sudden no longer displayed.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:09   #4

Boat: 29'
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesperWe View Post
Well the "center screen" explains the seeming randomness. I was trying to figure etc..................

Anyway, this behavior is IMHO not what is expected. It could potentially cause a bit of headache when navigating a small passage and the detailed chart is all of a sudden no longer displayed.

Doesn't Zooming in solve this?.I just use "+" or "-".and if the detail is available on the cm93 chart,you will see it

But the cm93 charts don't have detail for everywhere,being based on available raster charts of the time...
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
Doesn't Zooming in solve this?
Of course. But it doesn't solve the problem when you are planning and are trying to follow a route (at a certain zoom level), and as you pan along it the details flash in and out depending on what happends to be in the center.

Also when using look ahead mode, the detailed chart sometimes is gone even though the boat is still inside it.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:37   #6

Quote:
Of course. But it doesn't solve the problem when you are planning and are trying to follow a route (at a certain zoom level), and as you pan along it the details flash in and out depending on what happends to be in the center.

Also when using look ahead mode, the detailed chart sometimes is gone even though the boat is still inside it.
Did you turn quilting off?
that should stop that behaviour...as much as is possible
Sorry,if I'm not getting the problem,exactly.I am trying to duplicate it AS a problem,but all I see seems to work better per a comparison to say VisNav or Ozi-the which I actually found far more irritating for the reason you mention -quilting-..and within the limits of cm93 charts anyways

Click image for larger version

Name:	CM93example.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	23569

there's nothing can be done about this example except to zoom out-it's the CM93,not OpenCPN.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:04   #7

However,with kap charts(raster as opposed to Vector),this isn't a problem.The whole chart will have the same detail and you can stay in it by turning quilting off,whatever your zoom...

Name:	rasterexample2.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	23570

Name:	rasterexample1.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	23571
Old 07-02-2011, 09:07   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
Sorry,if I'm not getting the problem,exactly.I am trying to duplicate it AS a problem
No apparently not. Read FP again. The problem is not that there are different zoom levels displayed, as in your screen. That is what is expected and what I want. The problem is that the detailed part is sometimes (depending on panning) not displayed AT ALL, even though it is available and should be displayed.
Old 07-02-2011, 15:11   #9

Name:	Ticklecm93.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	23575

Be glad it doesn't look like this!which is supposed to be about the same place on NFLnd?(52 47N 55 52W?)Best I can get out of it 'though southern parts of NL are more detailed...You have a newer version,I suppose.
Old 07-02-2011, 20:31   #10
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
BTW, contrary to your statement quilting does not happen when it's turned off:
Right you are. I was corn-fused...

I finally got on and confirmed your results exactly.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:22   #11

Quote:
No apparently not. Read FP again. The problem is not that there are different zoom levels displayed, as in your screen. That is what is expected and what I want. The problem is that the detailed part is sometimes (depending on panning) not displayed AT ALL, even though it is available and should be displayed.
well,I can duplicate what you are talking about,the detail disappearing-reappearing per a short pan exactly as in your examples (though not in NL!)but unfortunately when I zoom out once,the blank spot disappears without detail lost in some cases,in others it changes to a lower grade,in others it goes blank per your example above.

I think it's just the nature of vector charts to react to zoom requested this way,if a better chart doesn't exist.
...When i go into the cm93 chart folder,I can see that some sub folders only have an "A"folder while others have A,B,C,D etc-yet others have A,C,Z! and this might be why-the straddling of two subfolders that contain different zoom options or a missing zoom level.
Old 02-04-2011, 18:49   #12

Re: Getting Quilting and Outlines to Play Well Using CM93 ?

Has anyone solved this problem? I'm getting the same thing, sometimes the smaller scale charts show up and then sometimes all I can see it the larger scale charts with no detail. Now its stuck in the larger scale and I can't get it to show the smaller scale charts no matter what I do. Please help!!
svsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 00:51   #13

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsalt View Post
Has anyone solved this problem? I'm getting the same thing, sometimes the smaller scale charts show up and then sometimes all I can see it the larger scale charts with no detail. Now its stuck in the larger scale and I can't get it to show the smaller scale charts no matter what I do. Please help!!
This problem has been addressed in the beta releases, currently 2.4.324. The default is the way that Jesper suggested. You can get the old, less resource demanding, behavior back by ticking ToolBox->Settings->"Disable Full Screen Quilting".
Have a go and report back your findings!

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:00   #14

I'm running the latest beta and tried as you suggested. The only way I could get around it was to rename my charts folder and add the charts again. Forcing a rebuild didn't help either. If I change some of the chart settings sometimes the problem arises again. To get the charts to display with detail I also have to click on the chart bar and take out the first chart along the bar that comes up. Everything works fine if I do this. Maybe I have a corrupt set of CM93 charts???

Thanks for you help.

Cheers

Sam
svsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:26   #15

Boat: Dufour 35

svsalt

A screendump that illustrates your problem would help.
Aren't you mixing "small scale" and "large scale", 1:50.000 is greater than 1:100.000 in my book, or am I misunderstanding you?

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote