Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2015, 11:51   #16
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: GoodAnchorage.com Plugin – Alpha Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietmar View Post
Hello CarCode - Good question ! From a maritime safety perspective - not enough . Most goverments around the world have reduced not increased near shore surveys and their survey vessels - 40- 50 % of of world wide charts are not WGS84 - only 5% of the Pacific is accurately charted ( in <100m near shore ) - Bahamas - 1% - the IHO has some very scary stats depending on your flavor of risk - so if you head outside well charted waters - relying on those who go before you becomes important - so this is a process by which we aim to provide accurate anchorage data - for free.
Dietmar,

it seems to me that CarCode suggested to team-up efforts and not to disperse capacities. Anyhow - if somebody wants to play, no issue.

Another question: I would be interested in the sources for the survey quality, especially with regards to the IHO stats. Where can I find those?

Hubert
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 11:51   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Lagoon 440 44'
Send a message via AIM to dietmar Send a message via Skype™ to dietmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie91 View Post
Took a look at your website and cannot find a way to check it out without becoming a member. I know its free, but a way to see what is in there would be nice. You would probably end up with more members.
Ahoy Opie91, yes you do need to sign up (for a free account) as we need to confirm that our members are mariners and are providing accurate data. If you like to take a sneak peak you can still access some of the data by following our standard & open URLS please go to goodanchorage.com (forward slash) anchorage (forwardslash) musket-cove and you'll see an example of one worldwide anchorages.

Each and every one of them - in order to be part of this and useful to our members some of which have 11foot keels - come with depth - sat image - and refrence charts below is a screenshot - your local knowledge is very valuable to the mariner who comes after you - especially in poorly charted areas - happy to post some screenshots - but you'd miss out on all the dynamic goodies such as 72 hour weather wind swell temp cloud % forecast for every anchorage and specific maritime area information.
Old 24-01-2015, 12:45   #18
Marine Service Provider

rgleason,

First of, thanks for adding an anchorage! Writing this plugin was worth it after all.

After you log-in just double-click anywhere on the map. That will cause anchorages in the nearby area to show up.

Roll-over an anchorage marker to see summary (name, coordinates).

Right click on the marker and select Properties to view full description. Depending on network connection you might need to do this a couple of times.

Attached is a screenshot of your anchorage. (Hope I'm not breaking any forum rules with this).

Will work on the compilation warning.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anchor_napatree.png
Views:	203
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	96001  
Skipper Web is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 12:48   #19
Marine Service Provider

Hello MYTraveler - Good Anchorage - launched in October (after 18 months of planning). In an effort to inform mariners globally - I as an owner of a Lagoon Cat informed my peers of our free system in our group and got some flack - most of the global sailor members however seemed happy. Another member of our team & superyacht captain - new to the community aspect of the online world - "got eaten alive" by your forum - apologies - his intentions where to inform & make sure that there is always some water left under the keels. The ironic part is - that the inception of Good Anchorage - took place in country which use to be populated by - well cannibals. That is launch enthusiasm. Fortunately we are equally excited about this GA openCPN plug-in & promise to continuously improve it to make the sharing of your maritime knowledge easier & more accurate.
Old 24-01-2015, 13:17   #20
Marine Service Provider

Thank you bcn;

The IHO - releases data on survey accuracy in their notices to mariners -

Commercial & Superyachts are required to monitor this. - you can search for their website - the domain ends in .INT

Worldwide, the number of government survey vessels has declined by 35% in the last 30 years - contract surveys, improved equipment capability & other options have not filled the gap.
(IHO Year Books 1979-2011)
In many parts of the World the quality & coverage of hydrographic surveys require significant improvement (XVIIIthIHO Conference Resolution 2012)

Below is a screenshot of what we found at the point of inception - of wanting to make it easier for us.

If you log into our site and go to the Maritime Area of the Bahamas and read the Captains' Log you'll get to a section of Hydrography -

The current state of surveys as summarized in IHO Publication C55 'Status of Hydrographic Surveying & Nautical Charting Worldwide' Third Edition (2004) updated 27 September 2011.

1% of coastal area adequately surveyed (<200m) from shore
0% of offshore area adequately surveyed (>200m) from shore

It is only in the last few months that we have become aware of similar resources - more resources are better - that lead us to launch the Good Anchorage openCPN plug-in. Our hope is to make seafaring safer and information available to those who still sometimes gaze at the horizon when navigating unfamiliar waters and monitor their depth sounders.

Old 24-01-2015, 13:18   #21

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Dietmar,

Double Click works!

Here's a screenshot of the anchorage I added.

Thanks for adding to our plugin options for information!
We need to give this plugin some good exercise and advise Dietmar, so I hope Windows users will do so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	goodanchorage.png
Views:	209
Size:	307.5 KB
ID:	96002  
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 14:00   #22
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Dietmar,

Double Click works!

Here's a screenshot of the anchorage I added.

Thanks for adding to our plugin options for information!
We need to give this plugin some good exercise and advise Dietmar, so I hope Windows users will do so.
Thank you rgleason - & thank you for adding the anchorage -
but need to give full credit to our technical leader Dmitry - who is a tad south of the Kitchens Anchorage.

Looking at the anchorage information you just added and is now in openCPN - This data is very VERY good indeed - including the nearby "merrygo round "

A few questions though - what is the mayor swell or wind protection there ?
The reason is - if a mariner is nearby & needs to find a sheltered spot - GoodAnchorage & openCPN's plugin will reveal nearby anchorages and by providing this data - someone may use this anchorage to get out of worsting conditions.
NAVY BLUE means protection.

Thank you again - for adding this anchorage.

Warm regards,

Dietmar
Old 24-01-2015, 14:07   #23

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Web View Post
boat_alexandra,

Didn't get a chance to work on Linux version until your message. The build should look better now. I fixed compiler warnings, and took care of the bug related to local storage and auth file.

Give it a try now. Thank you!
I just compiled your plugin on a linux box AMD 64.
Just a few harmless compiler warnings, but I had this runtime warning in opencpn.log

Quote:
22:59:34 CET: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn: /usr/local/lib/opencpn/libgoodanchorage_pi.so
22:59:34 CET: Error: /usr/local/lib/opencpn/libgoodanchorage_pi.so: undefined symbol: sqlite3_bind_int
22:59:34 CET: PlugInManager: Cannot load library: /usr/local/lib/opencpn/libgoodanchorage_pi.so
Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 14:33   #24

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
I just compiled your plugin on a linux box AMD 64.
Just a few harmless compiler warnings, but I had this runtime warning in opencpn.log

Thomas
Same here and apt-get install sqlite didn't fix it either

Dirk

PS: Ubuntu 64bit
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 15:12   #25

Boat: Phantom 19

Thomas, Dirk...
Code:
sudo apt-get install libsqlite3-dev
Should fix the build for you.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 15:33   #26

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Thomas, Dirk...
Code:
sudo apt-get install libsqlite3-dev
Should fix the build for you.

Pavel
It does, thanks! But really, cmake should puke when not finding libsqlite3-dev...

Dirk
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 15:46   #27

Boat: Phantom 19

Doesn't it complain that SQLite was not found? But you are right, it should fail completely...
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 22:35   #28
Marine Service Provider

Just published an updated Windows installer:
- Removed Windows compile warning.
- Added link to anchorage page (for photos, forecasts, reviews).
- Added instructions for first-time users.
Old 25-01-2015, 04:54   #29

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietmar View Post
Hello CarCode - Good question ! From a maritime safety perspective - not enough . Most goverments around the world have reduced not increased near shore surveys and their survey vessels - 40- 50 % of of world wide charts are not WGS84 - only 5% of the Pacific is accurately charted ( in <100m near shore ) - Bahamas - 1% - the IHO has some very scary stats depending on your flavor of risk - so if you head outside well charted waters - relying on those who go before you becomes important - so this is a process by which we aim to provide accurate anchorage data - for free.
I would classify this as a "non free" plugin.
Free used in the meaning freedom.
The plugin leads you straight to a login prompt. Unless you register and accept a draconian, typically proprietary EULA, you get no content at all.
I'm used to FOSS, free and open source software, OpenCPN is one example.
So good luck with your site and thank you for the plugin, but I'll not use it in it's present form.
Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 06:01   #30
Marine Service Provider

cagney,

The plugin code is free to access, and modify (although I do need to add GNU GPL headers) and content is free to access and modify. But you are certainly free to make your own product use decisions.

Thanks for the feedback.

Tags
anchor, lease, plug