Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2016, 01:32   #106

Boat: Amel Sharki
Re: GoodAnchorage.com Plugin – Alpha Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkester View Post
I just spent over 2 hours trying to detect what's causing GA problems, mostly with failing to display anchorage details. In doing so, I tried to look at anchorages in 3 areas:Bahamas, south FL and Marthas Vineyard. I also looked at Cuba but there are only 30-40 anchorages there. The basic problem is the unreliability of getting data in certain areas. I was trying to determine what conditions would cause a failure. In doing this I performed hundreds of clicks in these four areas. My reward was to have my login invalidated. A smart algorithm to detect poachers (and ignore those who are trying to help) should notice that mostly the same anchorages are being right clicked and loosen the noose (so to speak).

This is the second time it happened and I thought I was getting close to some answers. My advise to others is to try to help a little bit, but not too much.
David,
I'm not in the Caribbean but in the Mediterranean.
Please try to open e.g. this link with a browser like FireFox
Marina Cap Monastir | Good Anchorage
and tell me how long it takes to display this page.
Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 02:55   #107

Boat: Phantom 19

0.3 seconds from Tierra del Fuego, I have to say I can't see the problem you keep yelling about.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 03:09   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
0.3 seconds from Tierra del Fuego, I have to say I can't see the problem you keep yelling about.
Interesting, for me it takes about 2 minutes with FireFox.
So I tried with Safari now and then it is also a fraction of a second only.
I'll investigate what is the blocking reason with FireFox. It is my standard browser and I never have had such a behavior with any other pages.
Of course both browsers are the latest versions.

Gerhard
Old 17-02-2016, 06:22   #109

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Maybe Sean or TransmitterDan can look at this plugin and figure out what the problem is, provided the server has been fixed.
Dietmar can you please advise when you think the server is running well? Then I'll email Sean and TDan.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 07:22   #110
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Lagoon 440 44'
Send a message via AIM to dietmar Send a message via Skype™ to dietmar

The server from my 8 years cruising perspective and looking at the webpages on a very slow marina wifi or even 2.5G networks - is running fine. Same for the 4.0 version of the plugin - I have tested the new version of the plugin and want to add several improvements beyond just performance - just making it work with 4.2 does not enhance that.

We'll see how this develops over time.

Dietmar
Old 18-02-2016, 08:19   #111

User Manual External Plugins - GoodAnchorage:
GoodAnchorage | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Forum Thread:
GoodAnchorage.com Plugin – Alpha Release

Good Anchorage
Dietmar built the website and plugin. Sean helped with the plugin.

github
https://github.com/goodanchorage/goodanchorage_pi
pavel's fork https://github.com/nohal/goodanchorage_pi/network
sean's fork https://github.com/seandepagnier/goodanchorage_pi

goodanchorage_pi for Opencpnv4.2 is uploaded to
Opencpn Beta File Thingie under 4.2.0 Win PI folder.
rguser, rgpass

https://tgp-architects.com/files/
Old 18-02-2016, 19:07   #112

Boat: Valiant 42

I am not sure what the problem is exactly. Rick asked me to try the plugin so I built a debug version and am running in my fork of O 4.2. It does not crash although it does cause a few wx alerts. When I moved the chart to Georgetown Grand Cayman and double clicked then after a few seconds one anchorage showed up. Then I zoomed out and this is what I see all around Cuba, Haiti and DR.

I am using a 3G hotspot in a fairly crummy location so my download speed is about 100-200k bits per second. It takes some time but it seems to work in this test case. If you are working in Windows and have Wireshark you might sniff the packets and see what you are sending and what you get back. My guess is that the TCP system is getting upset with turnaround times or some other local network related issue. Whether the plugin can fix these issues I cannot say but first we have to see the problem before we can fix it.

I had a few problems like this last year when we work working on chart downloader. Wireshark helped a lot in seeing the conversations and identifying what was going wrong. It is an excellent tool for debugging networking software.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-18.png
Views:	180
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	119250  
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 05:54   #113

I tried in another location and get the error message about nonsense from the server. Attached is the request and response from the server that precipitated the error message box. (remove .pdf to see the text of the request/response)

I am not a json expert. The wxJSONReader:Parse() function declares there are 18 errors in the server response thus the message box. I hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf r1.txt.pdf (12.2 KB, 54 views)
Old 19-02-2016, 07:24   #114

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I am not sure what the problem is exactly. Rick asked me to try the plugin so I built a debug version and am running in my fork of O 4.2. It does not crash although it does cause a few wx alerts. When I moved the chart to Georgetown Grand Cayman and double clicked then after a few seconds one anchorage showed up. Then I zoomed out and this is what I see all around Cuba, Haiti and DR.

I am using a 3G hotspot in a fairly crummy location so my download speed is about 100-200k bits per second. It takes some time but it seems to work in this test case. If you are working in Windows and have Wireshark you might sniff the packets and see what you are sending and what you get back. My guess is that the TCP system is getting upset with turnaround times or some other local network related issue. Whether the plugin can fix these issues I cannot say but first we have to see the problem before we can fix it.

I had a few problems like this last year when we work working on chart downloader. Wireshark helped a lot in seeing the conversations and identifying what was going wrong. It is an excellent tool for debugging networking software.
TDan, The problem I was having occurs when you right click on one of the anchor icons. Many of the anchorages fail to return the waypoint window. It seems to be different in different areas. New England seemed to work better than S Florida.
Old 19-02-2016, 08:30   #115

Thanks TDan,

I downloaded wireshark (2nd time I have used it) and tried to filter out extraneous messages on this public router, using my assigned wireless IP address and was able to find my requests and responses when I double click to get new anchorages from Goodanchorages.

If you have any suggestions regarding use of wireshark, what works for you, it might be helpful, but it is quite interesting seeing the flow. I don't yet know how you found the r1.txt message, but perhaps Dietmar will be able to fix the json so it works better.

On a decent wireless network connection, it seems to me that the anchorage icons are downloading much better than before. I don't know what to attribute this too.

But the json error TDan found might be something that needs to be fixed, also I can confirm what WDkester says about difficulty getting extended information for a given anchorage.

I will continue to try to learn wireshark while testing GoodAnchorage, and hope that I will uncover something more.

Thanks TDan, that was very helpful.
Old 19-02-2016, 12:45   #116
Marine Service Provider

The problem is with Unicode parsing of anchorage titles by the JSON parser. Just my hunch.
Skipper Web is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 15:44   #117

The code turns off wx Unicode parsing. And it works in most places which is strange. I'll take a look at this later.
Old 19-02-2016, 19:08   #118

It is probably a Unicode issue. There are escaped characters in the response from the server. I'm guessing the Json parser cannot understand them.
Old 20-02-2016, 02:01   #119

I have given up to use or investigate goodanchorage further on. There is probabely some crap with the server and astonishing one of my browsers shows a 2 minutes time delay while another one not when trying to contact the server. This is repeatable. Maybe the reason could be a large header of 157 lines of javascript includes and files which each html file is sending from the server. This is suspicious and a good reason to keep away from this.
Because there are better solutions also with a greater database of ports I don't need to use goodanchorage.

Gerhard
Old 20-02-2016, 03:27   #120

Dietmar, TDan and Gerhard have given you some potential places for you to check/improve. Please advise. Thanks guys for your help!

Tags
anchor, lease, plug