Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2020, 08:39   #16

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: GPS based Odometer

Have changes/fixes also been apied to the Android version?
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 09:01   #17

sv_pelagia,
sorry but I am still trying to figure out what is going on there, it appears to be a compiler problem triggered by the program.
Are not sure where to look as Windows, Linux and MacOS does not have this problem.
/LennartG
LennartG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 09:06   #18

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

The android version does not work and will freeze your OpenCPN and you will have to edit the config file to start Opencpn again.

There is a error message posted below, then you are able to get into Preferences but none of the preferences work. Hit continue and Opencpn will freeze and you will not be able to open it again until you edit the config file. Using an android text editor found the opencpn.config file and searched for gps-odometer. Set benable=0. No dice. Then realized that I had saved space by putting it on my extSD card, so found that opencpn.config file and tried changing that. Only found "persistance" under gps-odometer and set that to 0. Now it seems to open....

Lennart, Android requires to have certain if android then statements put in it to work properly. I have the same problem with Celestial_Navigation. Bdbcat has given us some good direction by fixing Climatology, use my git repository rgleason/climatology I believe it is in the master branch. I think if you look at climatologydialog.cpp and climatology_pi.cpp you will see some of these statements. I have not figured them out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-10-30-11-47-41.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	342.9 KB
ID:	226147  
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 09:51   #19

Boat: Sceptre 41

Fortunately, turning on GPS Odometer on my Android tablet (Android 10) has not resulted in a non-working OpenCPN.

(But I never tried using it with GPS on or a VDR sequence - - didn't like the error message shown above -- so perhaps this is why my Android OPCPN did not freeze?)

Have disabled this plugin on android version.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 10:22   #20

sv_pelagia and rgleason,
odd thing is that 'm_orient' is not even used in the GPS Odometer, it is imported from somewhere else, trying to find from where. 'orient' is used but that is a different matter.
I will look closer into the suggestions from rgleason, that could be useful.
/LennartG
Old 30-10-2020, 11:08   #21

Boat: Amel Sharki

There are some rules using sizer flags which have been always omitted by the programmers. The correct use of sizer flags has been always explained in the wxWidgets docs but nobody cared about it. Some compilers produce crashing code but others not. So in later wxWidgets versions an assert function was introduced to force programmers using correct code.

Thumb rules for sizer flags are:
- don't use horizontal alignment flags together with wxWXPAND
- don't use vertical alignment flags together with wxWXPAND
- don't use horizontal alignment flags for horizontal sizers
- don't use vertical alignment flags for vertical sizers

I know a programmer who never understand this...
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 13:22   #22

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennartG View Post
Gilleratom,
Note about the buttons: These are of fixed size so please be careful with the text string length.
/Lennart
The translation of the language file on the crowdin is done.

Having said that, you will have to take into account that the French language uses a lot more characters than the English language to say the same thing.

So if you impose too little space, the items may not display correctly. For example, "Reset" should translate to "Remise à zéro". The French language is certainly not the only one which has this drawback.

Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 18:43   #23

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Thanks very much Carcode, this is very helpful.
"Thumb rules for sizer flags are:"
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 23:35   #24

Release 0.3.2 of GPS Odometer is now available for download through the OpenCPN package manager.

This release fixes the instrument order problem in Windows and adds a number of new languages (more are to come) plus a number of minor fixes.
The problems on android are not yet solved, sorry for that, and the community is invited to assist.
Note that NMEA signals RMC and GGA are required for the GPS Odometer, it will not display anything unless both of these signals are present.

The internal plugin name has been changed so it is recommended, but probably not required, to clean out the configuration file from previous GPS Odometer information following this procedure (Please click the 'Question Mark Icon' for information where to find the file):

Take note of the current 'Sum Log Distance' or the value will be lost.
NOTE: Stop OpenCPN before doing any of these changes!

There may exist alternative names for the plugin, containing 'odometer':
1. Remove everything from and including '[PlugIns/gps-odometer_pi.so]' (anything containing 'odometer') down to the next opening square bracket for the following config item ('[')
2. Remove everything from and including '[PlugIns/libgps-odometer...]' (or anything containing 'odometer') down to the next opening square bracket for the following config item ('['). This section only have two lines.
Please note: Do not remove the opening square bracket for the next configuration item.

Start OpenCPN again, you need now reactivate GPS Odometer again in the plugins menu.

If you have a recorded 'Sum Log Distannce', please do:
- Stop OpenCPN again
- Update the value 'TotalDistance' as noted
- Restart OpenCPN

Last but not least: A great thank you to all the people (no one mentioned, no one forgotten) who have assisted in getting language translations added, could not do it without you.

/Lennart
Old 04-03-2021, 21:28   #25

I have this installed on OpenPlotter/raspberry pi. when I try to move the GPS gauge/window, it either crashes or I get high zoomed in view showing top 3rd of speed dial.
bwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 21:40   #26

Sorry: i had older version installed. when I open preferences, it seems there are settings that I cannot get to [see screen grab]. For example it shows up on the screen but if I close the window, it does not show up in the sidebar , so to redisplay it I have to go to plugin settings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	odometer.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	233812  
Old 04-03-2021, 22:10   #27

bwarren,
never heard of that before and I have to assume it depends on the apparently small screen resolution or some other graphics dependency.
You are really talking about two problems here: a) the settings menu 'compression' and b) the GPS Odometer not showing in the left side menu.
I can, from your screenshot, see that the odometer shall be shown so the question then is: Does it show on screen when the settings menu is closed selecting 'OK'?

It is unfortunate that I do not have an rpi system myself so I have to ask others in the community if anyone else have this problem.
/LennartG
Old 04-03-2021, 23:06   #28

bwarren,
another thought, as the GPS Odometer is really a modified fork of dashboard, have you tried to install dahboard on your system? I can not see it in your menu and it would be of interest if the same problem(s) is/are shown there as well.
/LennartG
Old 04-03-2021, 23:57   #29

yes, I have dashboard installed with GPS.

I do have a larger monitor i can test with and will repost after I do that...it is 1 am here so it will be tomorrow :-)
Old 22-10-2021, 18:14   #30

Boat: EX prawn trawler 14m

Just an observation.
With dashboard and odometer both active I see dashboard speed very steady at say 5 knots, however the odometer speed fluctuates from 0 to 6 or 7 for something like 20 to 30 minutes before settling down.

Only using RMC and GGA.

Is there any way to damper this?

Cheers Dave
redog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps