Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2015, 13:49   #16

Boat: WALLER MKII CAT 11M
Re: GPS connected but OPENCPN doesn't see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Again more info is required.. We need screenshots of device manager showing the Prolific port. Then screenshots of the connection info in OpenCPN..

Even a screenshot of the NMEA debug window would be helpfull.
[/IMG]
delcrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 13:51   #17

Quote:
Again more info is required.. We need screenshots of device manager showing the Prolific port. Then screenshots of the connection info in OpenCPN..

Even a screenshot of the NMEA debug window would be helpfull.
Old 25-02-2015, 13:53   #18

Hi sorry took me a while how to do this on win 8... new pc and abit different to XP
Old 25-02-2015, 14:09   #19

Screen sho of device manager
Old 25-02-2015, 14:13   #20

Thanks in advance for any comments / help...just can not see what the problem is
Old 25-02-2015, 17:09   #21

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Alright.. Pretty sure I see your problem.. In the connection window of OpenCPN, I think you just typed 3 under the com port field.. That won't work, you need to use the pulldown and select the com port from the list. When you do that, it will look like the following image.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	224
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	97923

Notice it says COM6 not just 6
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 21:57   #22

Travellerw thank you very much, fixed the driver installation etc was going so nicely I got carried away and jumped the gunned typed 3 instead choosing from the drop list....thanks once agin to all
Old 26-02-2015, 08:03   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcrest View Post
Travellerw thank you very much, fixed the driver installation etc was going so nicely I got carried away and jumped the gunned typed 3 instead choosing from the drop list....thanks once agin to all
NP... I don't have enough expereince to help people with sailing, so I try to help where I can.
Old 26-02-2015, 09:56   #24

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Ha!! I just had to buy a new computer and of course it comes with Win 8.1....what a crock!! Anyway, I'll just have to bite the bullet and get used to it. I use a garmin 18x USB hockey puck which I absolutely love and woluld it read? Would it heck!

After a month of dickering around between the Windows people and the Garmin people - who each blamed each other - I managed to get them talking to each other instead of through me (being a computer Luddite - I really couldn't contribute much to the conversation!)

Eventually, Garmin Tech support took control of my computer and after a couple of hours managed to get the correct driver installed. Well done to the good-humoured and pleasant way that Garmin Tech support fixed my problem! Tony (Just in time for my next delivery thank goodness!)
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 10:21   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvimatelot View Post
Ha!! I just had to buy a new computer and of course it comes with Win 8.1....what a crock!! Anyway, I'll just have to bite the bullet and get used to it. I use a garmin 18x USB hockey puck which I absolutely love and woluld it read? Would it heck!

After a month of dickering around between the Windows people and the Garmin people - who each blamed each other - I managed to get them talking to each other instead of through me (being a computer Luddite - I really couldn't contribute much to the conversation!)

Eventually, Garmin Tech support took control of my computer and after a couple of hours managed to get the correct driver installed. Well done to the good-humoured and pleasant way that Garmin Tech support fixed my problem! Tony (Just in time for my next delivery thank goodness!)
Oh man.. Unless I had loads of free time, I would have just bought another puck. I just posted about a $40 puck that is fantastic and the drivers are built into both Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1.
Old 26-02-2015, 10:38   #26

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Quote:
Oh man.. Unless I had loads of free time, I would have just bought another puck. I just posted about a $40 puck that is fantastic and the drivers are built into both Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1.
I hear you shipmate!! But I've been using garmin gps's since forever and would hate to have retired a perfectly good piece of kit which was still working!
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 03:30   #27

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

I have the same problem but different. I have a shipmodul multiplexor which was giving me gps data. I just turned on the ais input and lost it. The debug window shows data but my icon is still black. I had a simlar problem a couple of years back when I first connected multiplexor, its a bluetooth connection, but I cannot remember the fix. I have changed baud rates, uninstalled and reinstalled com ports bit no luck. Any suggestions appreciated

Tags
enc, gps, opencpn