Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2013, 08:23   #1

gr-ais on Raspberry pi

Good Day,
I have gotten very far on getting the RPi to run gr-ais off a SDR dongle. I have loaded gnradio, osmocom, and rtl-sdr. I can get gr-ais to run and output to the screen i think. It is hard to tell because Im in my office and there are no signals but zero do pop up. I can not get the tcp option to work. I also have put a ton of print"test" in to find where the last comand executed in ais_rx.py is and it is on the ais_demod.py file. Is there anyone can give me a hand to get this running? Or atleast say i did it so i know it can be done? There is a russian on marine traffic who is running it but who knows what mods were made to the code. I am okay in python and linux, but no pro by any means. thanks

code link: https://github.com/chgans/gr-ais

wheezy flavor
pl259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 07:04   #2

Re: gr-ais on Raspberry pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl259 View Post
Good Day,
I have gotten very far on getting the RPi to run gr-ais off a SDR dongle. I have loaded gnradio, osmocom, and rtl-sdr. I can get gr-ais to run and output to the screen i think. It is hard to tell because Im in my office and there are no signals but zero do pop up. I can not get the tcp option to work. I also have put a ton of print"test" in to find where the last comand executed in ais_rx.py is and it is on the ais_demod.py file. Is there anyone can give me a hand to get this running? Or atleast say i did it so i know it can be done? There is a russian on marine traffic who is running it but who knows what mods were made to the code. I am okay in python and linux, but no pro by any means. thanks

code link: https://github.com/chgans/gr-ais

wheezy flavor
Hi,

I've successfully installed all dependencies for gr-ais; comedilib, gr-osmosdr, rtl-sdr, and gnuradio-3.7.0 on my Xoom MZ601 armhf tablet. All have compiled and installed without errors. However, I cannot compile gr-ais without errors. Most significantly, gnuradio does not provide gruel. No matter what I do, whether editing the CmakeCache.txt directly or providing the command -DINSTALL_GR_GRUEL=ON, gnuradio will not include gruel.

Which versions of these files have you used? I have also tried gnuradio-3.6.3 which compiles and installs gruel. But then I have problems compiling and installing other dependencies against this version...

Have not yet found a forum discussing gr-ais and the gnuradio folks say this is not an appropriate issue for their forum.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 07:21   #3

K1GTO: Compiling GNURadio on the Raspberry Pi (Raspi)

I tried this for a long time. I finally gave up after frying the pie. Try the above link. I remember there was one issue where I had to use an oldr version of the software. I never got it to work.. Goodluck
Old 30-08-2013, 09:48   #4

Thanks for your reply, and sorry you couldn't get it to work.

I have a sense that even if I were to successfully get gr-ais installed there is going to be video incompatibility. It is is highly unlikely the Nvidia Tegra 2 code has been released sufficiently for linux developers to make their programs interact very well with the chip.

Still, I enjoy trying. But, gruel has apparently been either dropped from gnuradio or relocated/changed in such a way gr-ais can't find it. I don't have a clue where to look if it's been relocated in the file structure. There is a "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gru", but no indication this is gruel...

Strange stuff related to gr-ais I can't figure out either. In gnuradio there is a sync_block.h, but gr-ais is looking for gr_sync_block.h

I've posted some questions about these issues on the gnuradio forum
https://www.ruby-forum.com/ which is also GnuRadio | Mailing List Archive

No good answers I'll probably throw in the towel too.
Old 30-08-2013, 10:11   #5

Do want to use the pi to display targets too? Have you tried opencpn? Raspberry Pi • View topic - OpenCPN

I was trying to just get my pi to act as a sensor and forward data to our servers. I looked back through some notes are you using this version of gr-ais by Christian Gagneraud. This was a major epiphany for me.

https://github.com/chgans/gr-ais

Instead of the one by Nick foster who works for USRP. I believe Nick took the Pi compatibility out of GR-ais in order to sell more of his USRP's....

I still ran into issues with Volk_profile? My last email on the mailing list was:
I recompiled the program with commenting out all non-multiply kernels(see attached). Still pegged out for 2 hours and still going. Do you know specifically which kernel relates to the multiply_cc function?

Thanks again,
As mentioned I worked on this for maybe 2 weeks. I run a large scale AIS network and was hoping to find a cheaper sensor to deploy in the field. We currently use remote TCP/IP device servers. Once the PI fried I gave up. We need these sensors to be reliable and if loading and recompiling breaks the sensor, it just isn't reliable enough. GOOD LUCK!
Old 30-08-2013, 10:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl259 View Post
Do want to use the pi to display targets too? Have you tried opencpn? Raspberry Pi • View topic - OpenCPN

I was trying to just get my pi to act as a sensor and forward data to our servers. I looked back through some notes are you using this version of gr-ais by Christian Gagneraud. This was a major epiphany for me.

https://github.com/chgans/gr-ais

Instead of the one by Nick foster who works for USRP. I believe Nick took the Pi compatibility out of GR-ais in order to sell more of his USRP's....

I still ran into issues with Volk_profile? My last email on the mailing list was:
I recompiled the program with commenting out all non-multiply kernels(see attached). Still pegged out for 2 hours and still going. Do you know specifically which kernel relates to the multiply_cc function?

Thanks again,
As mentioned I worked on this for maybe 2 weeks. I run a large scale AIS network and was hoping to find a cheaper sensor to deploy in the field. We currently use remote TCP/IP device servers. Once the PI fried I gave up. We need these sensors to be reliable and if loading and recompiling breaks the sensor, it just isn't reliable enough. GOOD LUCK!
pl259,

Is this post directed at me?

The answer to your question about displaying targets is yes. But, I am not using a pi. I am trying to accomplish this with a Motorola Xoom MZ601. I'm the same person (armido) who has instructions posted at Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage for installing OpenCPN on android devices. Long story about the new user name "Wrong".

This is just another project of mine to create a first on an android device to benefit sailors who appreciate the advantages of these small devices.

The primary obstacle I can entertain to succeeding is the Tegra chip. Otherwise, linux is linux. A secondary potential obstacle is that comedi (not comedilib) fails to compile because the kernel source code is absent - needed by comedi. Comedi may supply a needed driver. But, I am under the impression no driver is necessary...

I haven't gotten along nearly as far as you have.

You may want to post your issue here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...les-84234.html

Even though we are using different devices, the operational issue we encounter may be similar with the same solutions. So, we should try to keep in touch.

Thanks
Old 02-09-2013, 15:22   #7

Just a note I abandoned the effort because gr-ais would not build without errors. An internal coding issue I believe, and could not muster any support at all. Not important enough to pursue.
Old 02-09-2013, 15:41   #8

I've been playing with rtl-sdr using the cheapie dongles. Besides my 'big' PC, I have a Raspberry Pi and a few different eee platforms (the original 7" and a 10") to play with. The radio apps (eg SDR-Sharp) run fine on the big PC but stutter on the 10" eee, and I didn't even bother with the smaller eee or the rPi.

Thing is - software defined radio requires the computer's CPU to act as a digital signal processor (DSP) to decode the signal, and it seems that's just too darn much to ask from something as small as a rPi. Not proven, just my suspicion based on limited experience.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 20:03   #9

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

it runs on the pi, but cannot do 256k sampling, 128k sampling can run using most of cpu. So maybe 64k or less is usable.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:33   #10

While searching for potential Raspberry Pi / AIS options I stumbled upon this site:
AIS Decoder - beta release

RTL_FM will allow receiving at least one channel. The author may add dual channel ability in the future.

This is the link to RTL_FM:
Rtl_fm Guide: The long lost documentation

Pinging the author might demonstrate an interest in a dual-channel receiver.

Best regards,
broncus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:40   #11

The author for RLT_FM is making changes.
Big rtl_fm (and more) improvements, testing requested : RTLSDR

Maybe one of the requested changes will include the option of receiving two frequencies at once.

Best regards,
Fred
broncus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, paracelle