Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2017, 02:41   #1

GRIB request not working

OpenCPN 4.6.1 on blackberry Pi3.

I have the Thunderbird/Icedove email client set up and it is configured to use my gmail account. I am connected the the Internet and the mail works fine.

I start the grib plugin, select what I want and on the "Write and send eMail request" I press Send. Up pops a browser screen and the "Write...request" screen hangs with the tumbling egg-timer. When I close done the browser page the egg-timer stops and the "Write....request" page displays a message "Your request is ready. An email is prepared in your email environment. You have just to verify and send it. Save or Cancel..or Continue". I have taken all three options and nothing happens. I see no email that has been prepared in the email client.

I would have expected the request to bring up the email client rather than an empty browser page. I can find nothing in the documentation that has helped so far. Could someone please let me know how I should be setting this up so I can request a grib file?

Many thanks
baltika_no_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 06:35   #2

Boat: 10.50 mètres
Re: GRIB request not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltika_no_9 View Post

I have the Thunderbird/Icedove email client set up and it is configured to use my gmail account. I am connected the the Internet and the mail works fine.

I start the grib plugin, select what I want and on the "Write and send eMail request" I press Send. Up pops a browser screen and the "Write...request" screen hangs with the tumbling egg-timer. When I close done the browser page the egg-timer stops and the "Write....request" page displays a message "Your request is ready. An email is prepared in your email environment. You have just to verify and send it. Save or Cancel..or Continue". I have taken all three options and nothing happens. I see no email that has been prepared in the email client.

I would have expected the request to bring up the email client rather than an empty browser page. I can find nothing in the documentation that has helped so far. Could someone please let me know how I should be setting this up so I can request a grib file?

Many thanks
I have been using Thunderbird for years on my PC and tablet under windows or Ubuntu Linux. But, I do not understand why you want to make adjustments. I never did. It always works wel
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 07:09   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
I have been using Thunderbird for years on my PC and tablet under windows or Ubuntu Linux. But, I do not understand why you want to make adjustments. I never did. It always works wel
Thanks for your kind help.

1. I do not want to make any adjustments.

2. Thunderbird is working just fine. I've used it for years too.

The problem I am having concerns the GRIB plugin.

Cordialement
Chris
Old 13-06-2017, 07:22   #4
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Can't help your problem, sorry, but onboard I find using zygrib to download gribs works fine. No need to receive email and save as the grib file.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 07:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Can't help your problem, sorry, but onboard I find using zygrib to download gribs works fine. No need to receive email and save as the grib file.
Thanks, I suspect that might be the route I take. Earlier today I signed up on their website and will give it a try.

Good wishes
Chris
Old 13-06-2017, 07:43   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltika_no_9 View Post
Thanks, I suspect that might be the route I take. Earlier today I signed up on their website and will give it a try.

Good wishes
Chris
Clunky interface but actually a very capable program. Another route I go (living aboard full time, not always with web access onboard), is using something like pocketgrib on an android device after finding wifi ashore o download grib, then enable wifi FTP on the android and use a file explorer like filezilla to copy/paste the grib to wherever you want it to be. Sounds more complicated than it actually is after setting up a few bookmarks.
Old 13-06-2017, 08:23   #7

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:

have the Thunderbird/Icedove email client set up and it is configured to use my gmail account. I am connected the the Internet and the mail works fine.

..start the grib plugin,.."Write and send eMail request" ,press Send. Up pops a browser screen and the "Write...request" screen hangs with the tumbling egg-timer. When I close done the browser page the egg-timer stops and the "Write....request" page displays a message "Your request is ready. An email is prepared in your email environment. You have just to verify and send it. Save or Cancel..or Continue". ..taken all three options and nothing happens. I see no email that has been prepared in the email client.

Under settings in your OS is there a way to configure the preferred email client?

For me, Win 1O with T'bird. Right click on the "Window" icon and pick "Search" to search the computer. Type "Default Programs". For Email Thunderbird should be listed.

Then went I use OpenCPN Grib and request a grib, and email pops up using T'bird with my main account, however in the FROM field I can dropdown select my gmail account which I have set up for use with T'bird.

So, it works in Windows. Go find your Default email settings. It probably is set for some Webmail.

Rather than "Grib Request not working" you should be asking a different question about how your OS and email is set up, I think. It appears you have T'bird set up properly, just make sure it is the "default app".

PS: If you find the answer, please advise which steps, so we can put it in the manual for Linux side.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 08:31   #8

conachair,
" pocketgrib on an android device after finding wifi ashore o download grib, then enable wifi FTP on the android and use a file explorer like filezilla to copy/paste the grib"

Pocketgrib is good. I like this idea too. Zygrib no longer has the user login and PW access, which Grib_pi was set up for, so we can no longer download from Zygrib using Ocpn Grib_pi, unfortunately. We get this:

"Before sending an email to Zygrib you have to enter your Login and Code.
Please visit zyGrib: grib file, weather data visualization and follow instructions..."

Grib_pi should be updated IMHO, as it will no longer access Zygrib files. You must use Zygrib interface directly.
Old 13-06-2017, 08:33   #9

After some more work I can confirm that you're on the right lines. If I click on an email address link I'd expect it to start my email client but it doesn't. It starts the browser exactly what happens when I try to send the grib email.

I'm stumped if I can find where to change the default app on the Pi though but am still looking.

Thanks
Chris
Old 13-06-2017, 08:45   #10

Using Zygrib, it is a direct download with lots of choices in the 3 tabs, but RTOFS currents is not one of the choices.
Old 13-06-2017, 08:53   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
conachair,
" pocketgrib on an android device after finding wifi ashore o download grib, then enable wifi FTP on the android and use a file explorer like filezilla to copy/paste the grib"

Pocketgrib is good. I like this idea too. Zygrib no longer has the user login and PW access, which Grib_pi was set up for, so we can no longer download from Zygrib using Ocpn Grib_pi, unfortunately. We get this:

"Before sending an email to Zygrib you have to enter your Login and Code.
Please visit zyGrib: grib file, weather data visualization and follow instructions..."

Grib_pi should be updated IMHO, as it will no longer access Zygrib files. You must use Zygrib interface directly.
Sorry, might not have been very clear, I never bother with the grib plug in to get the gribs but just use zygrib directly. Just a few clicks does the job and it defaults to save in the last folder you saved in. Only just noticed there's a download from zygrib option in the plugin!
Old 13-06-2017, 22:31   #12

It's clear now that my problem is due to an OS configuration issue and has nothing to do with OpenCPN so this is not the appropriate forum. I will be investigating now the zygrib option so thank you once again gentlemen for the pointers.

Regards
Chris

Tags
rib