Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2023, 06:43   #31

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56
Re: halo install on opencpn failing

@tcpbob,

Please read the following very carefully. Every paragraph contains important information.

Feel free to unpack a .tar.gz plugin file to see what it contains, but that is not the way to install it. To install the plugin .tar.gz file, go to Settings > Plugins > Import then import the .tar.gz file. OpenCPN itself then unpacks the file and installs the files in the proper location.

Note that "Download catalog" only downloads an XML file, then when you click on Install for a particular plugin it downloads a single .tar.gz file from cloud smith. Instead of fighting the system, why don't you press those buttons whilst having Microsoft System Internals fabulous "Process Monitor" tool open? You can verify what OpenCPN does and if you don't like it, roll back to a system restore point. See https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sy...nloads/procmon and https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...e-096777ecd14e . Heck, you could even do that on a "sacrificial" windows machine (owned by somebody else?) to test.

If you are unable to get OpenCPN 5.8.0 working you can fall back on v5.3.4 of the plugin with OpenCPN 5.6.2. Download the .tar.gz file from the cloud smith repository yourself, on any machine, then transfer it over to your navigation machine and use the above procedure to install it.

You cannot use radar plugin v5.5.0 with OpenCPN 5.6.2 due to new UI libraries.

Radar plugin v5.3.4 does support HALO, but with some restrictions and errors fixed in v5.5.0. It is usable though.

I still agree with Dave that it is better to find out why OpenCPN 5.8.0 is not working on your machine. Probably the CM chart files.

Regards,
Merrimac
(Main dev of the radar plugin)
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2023, 06:58   #32

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

Another reason that OpenCPN 5.8.0 might crash on startup is the presence of older plugins. The new version uses an updated UI library, that all old plugins that do anything on screen are not compatible with. See the "OpenCPN 5.8.0 released" thread on how to remove old plugins.
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2023, 14:26   #33

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

"my 5.8 fails immediately from launch" when installing the new 5.8 version, and sometimes when testing bad plugins.
I've been getting these frequently too, and have found that it is helpful to look at the end of the log file for errors, but often it is an older "bad" plugin that remains in your system. If you are connected to the internet and using PIM (Plugin Manager) exclusively, then it is easiest to clear out all your plugins, but not the user data for those plugins, and simply reinstall using PIM after OpenCPN is operating properly.

For Windows, I try to clean out the following directories:

%localappdata%\\opencpn\plugins
OR
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\opencpn\plugins
and remove all plugin directories and dll.

C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\cache\tarballs (remove all the tar.gz files)
C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\cache\metadata (optional: remove all the old catalog files (*.tmp) - you will need to update your plugin catalog anyway.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2023, 16:22   #34

Boat: 12 meter self built cat

i have been busy last few days, imagine having a life outside of hacking away at computers! i have a radar screen operating after i got with a pro that found some faults with my win 10. he repaired the faults and there it was. i was really trying to look over the shoulder to see what he had done but he was not a teacher type. suffice to say that i had the parts in place, thanks to help here and the soothing effects of Baileys... the puter tech had no experience with radar but thought it might be fun to check it out.

there are still issues and as soon as i have some time will attack them like getting it set on pointing north (my preference) and other bits and pieces.

i did give up on 5.8, just too many distractions. i could not work out what was my problem or the new version's. this is not my bloody hobby. the radar is another tool in my box to manage a boat sailing over oceans. i built my boat to be simple and sea worthy.... (and quick). i hate complications. single handing my little hot-rod is enough of a challenge.

just curious...when did opencpn first incorporate navico radar?

cheers and thanks to those that took the time to help out

bob
tcpbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn