Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2019, 16:47   #1

Boat: Lightwave 45
Heading, track, AIS conflict and boat colours

They're all red!

I have tried making adjustments, but so far I seem to have a lot of red and red only, to display these important issues, and it is difficult to differentiate between them all (especially in sunlight glare etc).

While I acknowledge that each individual display of navigation data is critically important and therefore deserves to be given such an important colour, the effectiveness becomes diluted when they are all mixed together.

I know it should be possible to change the boat icon from default red to something customised. I have downloaded the available creations. So far I have not been able to get O to use any of them. My ineptitude...

I *think* it is possible to change the breadcrumb track, although I haven't found that yet.

The manual seems to state that heading is red and red only (and therefore not alterable).

An AIS conflict one would expect to be red (danger) so I can agree with that. But it overlays on the red heading line and when I *do* notice it I am left looking at the length of the line and number of dashes to distinguish it from my heading line.

Or have I not yet found the buttons to change all this to something that works for me?
Karanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 17:08   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Heading, track, AIS conflict and boat colours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karanga View Post
They're all red!

I have tried making adjustments, but so far I seem to have a lot of red and red only, to display these important issues, and it is difficult to differentiate between them all (especially in sunlight glare etc).

While I acknowledge that each individual display of navigation data is critically important and therefore deserves to be given such an important colour, the effectiveness becomes diluted when they are all mixed together.

I know it should be possible to change the boat icon from default red to something customised. I have downloaded the available creations. So far I have not been able to get O to use any of them. My ineptitude...

I *think* it is possible to change the breadcrumb track, although I haven't found that yet.

The manual seems to state that heading is red and red only (and therefore not alterable).

An AIS conflict one would expect to be red (danger) so I can agree with that. But it overlays on the red heading line and when I *do* notice it I am left looking at the length of the line and number of dashes to distinguish it from my heading line.

Or have I not yet found the buttons to change all this to something that works for me?

Could you please send a screenshot illustrating your problem that would explain someone why the time to implement this should be invested?

Looking at I'm not convinced there is confusion potential...
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 17:21   #3

Boat: Lightwave 45

You are right that the warning flashes are very obvious!!

This does require that the zoom level is such that the target is within the screen boundary. Otherwise if the alarm sound is off, and the target is further than the current screen display, then the indicator is a red line, similar to the COG line, which is attached to a red boat, which has a red line behind it...

But perhaps I am alone in making a fuss about little! Sincere apologies if I am...
Karanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 17:26   #4

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karanga View Post
You are right that the warning flashes are very obvious!!

This does require that the zoom level is such that the target is within the screen boundary. Otherwise if the alarm sound is off, and the target is further than the current screen display, then the indicator is a red line, similar to the COG line, which is attached to a red boat, which has a red line behind it...

But perhaps I am alone in making a fuss about little! Sincere apologies if I am...
No need to apologize, just show us a picture where you think the current behavior is not working and if we agree it is so, nothing can stop us from implementing the change...
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, boat, head