Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 12:56   #826

Re: Help / FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
PDA1...
I see no numbers on the top left of the screen... But if you talk about the statusbar, there really is no way to change the font in it without modifying the code. If you are running 3.3. beta, replace it with the statusbar plug-in, which has all the configuration options you might need.

And if you talk about the grid, you really have to change the code.

Pavel
Pavel,

Yes, you're correct about "grid"- that's what makes the Long/Lat figures will appear at the aforementioned screen locations.

I wish I could figure out the code.....oh well. That's not my skill at all.

Thanks
PDA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:30   #827

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking
Re: Changing font color for Marks

I like my "user marks" to stand out from other chart objects, so I want them to display in a red font. Going to Options, User Interface, is a place to change the font for 12 different types of chart objects. But changing the font color for "Marks" to Sans Serif, bold, 10pt in Red doesn't seem to change the text color associated with the mark. (OK, it works on my little Dell Netbook, but not on my nav computer, a bigger Dell Vostro 1710. Both are running updated Win7, Ultimate on the netbook, Pro on the Vostro)

Am I doing something wrong, or have I discovered a bug? Or do I have to delete (or turn off) all my existing marks before changing the color will take effect? TIA...
Old 11-11-2014, 03:16   #828

Re: Changing font color for Marks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
I like my "user marks" to stand out from other chart objects...
A partial solution would be to make a flashy custom icon with lots of red colour and place it in the Usericons folder ...

edit:

or perhaps use some of the nice icons at User Icons | Official OpenCPN Homepage

I also remember some nice icons by Happy Seagull in a separate thread here.
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 06:48   #829

Boat: Coronet Elvstrom 38
GPS and AIS together

I am trying to get OpenCPN on Ubuntu Linux 14.04 to receive from both a Holux GPS puck GR-213 and an AIS stream from a Standard Horizon GX2100 matrix AIS. I can get the GPS to work with gpsd and the AIS with a serial adapter M-CAB USB 2.0 on /dev/ttyUSB0. Sometimes this works and I get both GPS position and AIS targets on OpenCPN. However, mostly I get only the GPS data stream being accepted. Symptoms also include the AIS data stream, as seen in OpenCPN, being garbled although still being read correctly and displaying targets. I have tried changing priorities and this results in the GPS being shown, if it has higher priority and nothing being shown if AIS has priority.
Any advice please?
Idiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 07:18   #830
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: GPS and AIS together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiens View Post
Sometimes this works and I get both GPS position and AIS targets on OpenCPN. However, mostly I get only the GPS data stream being accepted. Symptoms also include the AIS data stream, as seen in OpenCPN, being garbled although still being read correctly and displaying targets.
If you get AIS and GPS signals (sometimes) the settings will be ok.
The garbled data stream might be a symptom for a broken cabling/connector/solder.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 13:06   #831

Re: GPS and AIS together

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
If you get AIS and GPS signals (sometimes) the settings will be ok.
The garbled data stream might be a symptom for a broken cabling/connector/solder.
Thanks, I have tried the cable idea by changing the computer to one where it all works using the same cables. Also tried another puck. Also tried the whole thing on W7, where I get much more garbling of both GPS and AIS inputs. Sometimes it all settles down and works. Current theory is that the GPS and AIS must be plugged in before the machine is booted. This works with Linux but not with W7.

Old 22-11-2014, 13:14   #832
bcn

Can you please show us the settings from the connection tab (screenshot)?
And attach the log file - at least some relevant parts?

We shall not render, never. No white flags
Old 23-11-2014, 03:25   #833

Quote:
Can you please show us the settings from the connection tab (screenshot)?
And attach the log file - at least some relevant parts?

We shall not render, never. No white flags
Today we have GPS working! But the AIS is not showing up. Attached the screen copy and the log file.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto vom 2014-11-23 12:11:51.png
Views:	230
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	92201  
Attached Files
File Type: doc OpenCPNlogfile 23112014.doc (156.5 KB, 74 views)
Old 23-11-2014, 04:17   #834

P.S. As an irony, when trying again with W7, the AIS data displays but the GPS data does not. The data sources were not changed, only a new boot to the other opsys.
Old 23-11-2014, 05:05   #835

Boat: BENETEAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiens View Post
...., only a new boot to the other opsys.
Hi Idiens,

For me the OS Change is not a solution, IMHO, I would be very cautious about the way the serial adapter is working or declared.

You need to be pragmatic; in your case :

- I would check if each piece of equipment (GPS, AIS) is working without the other one (be cautious with the speed parameter).

- If each equipement is OK when alone => Equipment is not faulty.

Therefore , my reseach would be concentrate to their use with the adapter, I would check its declaration in the connexion tab, I would try to use it with other equipment ...

link to 3.2 user guide - Connection Chapter : http://opencpn.org/stable_docs/help_...ataConnections

link to 3.3 user Guide - Connection chapter : http://opencpn.org/ocpn/data_connections

Keep us informed (screenshots...).

Serge
AISEAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 05:50   #836

Thanks Serge,

We have tried both the GPS puck and the AIS output separately. They are both working. Just not together. Thanks too for the references, One we have studied, the other I will look at now.

Richard
Old 23-11-2014, 08:15   #837
bcn

Do you have perhaps two USB-serial adapter (GPS is USB and AIS as well?) ? Then it can be a gamble which port is getting assigned to each.

Under Linux I can provoke sometimes as well getting USB0 or the USB1 - same adapter, plugging in and out.

In your screenshot we see here only one as the other data comes via GPSD.

The drop down list of the serial ports will show the actual existing serial devices.

In Windows this is even more weird as it will depend as well to which (physical ) USB port you are connecting. Depending on the drivers who will get a different COM port assigned.
Old 23-11-2014, 11:05   #838

Quote:
Do you have perhaps two USB-serial adapter (GPS is USB and AIS as well?) ? Then it can be a gamble which port is getting assigned to each.

Under Linux I can provoke sometimes as well getting USB0 or the USB1 - same adapter, plugging in and out.

In your screenshot we see here only one as the other data comes via GPSD.

The OpenCPN drop down list of the serial ports will show the actual existing serial devices.

In Windows this is even more weird as it will depend as well to which (physical ) USB port you are connecting. Depending on the drivers who will get a different COM port assigned.
Thanks.
Yes we do have two serial adapters. One in software (Prolific for the AIS) and the other in the GPS serial data stream.
The port allocation seems random, but mostly ttyUSB0 and ttyUSB1 are given, then in different order many boot ups. Unplugging and re-plugging doesn't seem to help.
Sometimes it now all works, but at the next boot, only one input displays, or neither. Sometimes xgps gets the right stream, sometimes not. Sometimes we can get the GPS messages streaming though GPSD, sometimes direct from the port. Often the data is garbled.

The OpenCPN drop down in Linux never shows more than two port address, often not even the two in use, while on W7 we get four or five COM ports shown.

With W7 we get the AIS working and gibberish from the GPS, even when we have pinned the ports down to COM15 and 16.

We have another W7 machine with an older version of OpenCPN, which was working fine with the same input devices. Then it decided to play silly Bs for no apparent reason.

We have tried changing physical ports with no benefit and have adopted a fixed physical port arrangement. It would be nice to be able to nail the port addresses to the physical ports.
When everything is working, two ttyACM's show, same numbers as the ttyUSB's.

Old 23-11-2014, 11:18   #839
bcn

Quote:
The drop down in Linux never shows more than two port address, often not even the two in use
This is strange. Btw.: which version of OCPN are you running?

And the genuine driver for the AIS is a Prolific as well perhaps?

Just an idea:
Can you try to enter the AIS data directly into OCPN? No GPSD
And then re-routing back to the other devices that might need the AIS data stream (if there are any)?
Just to get one man in the middle out there.
Old 23-11-2014, 13:21   #840

Boat: Dufour 35

Idiens

You need to read up on udev - rules. This is mentioned in the wiki.
Quote:
Udev Rules

If you have problem with, for example gps, connecting to different ports each time you restart udev is your friend.
udev supports persistent device naming, which does not depend on, for example, the order in which the devices are plugged into the system. The default udev setup provides persistent names for storage devices.
There is a lot about udev on the Internet. For OpenCPN specifics, read this post:Udev in 2.5
In your case......
If you already have one usb serial device connected, using /dev/ttyUSB0 when starting O and GPSD happens to come next, it will occupy /dev/ttyUSB1 , then there is nothing left for the device that you tell to use /dev/ttyUSB1.......

You are not even using the latest stable version of OpenCPN
Quote:
19:37:50 CET: Version 3.2.0 Build 2013-02-26
Please up grade to the current stable version 3.2.2. Even better .... , if it suits you, try the latest beta 3.3.2316.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote