Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2015, 07:06   #991

Boat: Irwin 37 CC
Re: Help / FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourisailor View Post
Hi All,
Newbie to OpenCPN with a newbie question.
Running Win7Pro - sp1
Downloaded and installed the latest version.
Downloaded and installed charts "RNC Product Catalog 06 Region" using "ChartDownloader".

As this instance of OpenCPN is just running on my work station, there are no NMEA0186 devices attached. So no heading nor GPS inputs.

The problem that I'm having is the interlacing of chart #11553.
None of this chart's, 3 sections, are showing up properly on the screen.
The red outline is there, but the chart does not show until I zoom into the charts area and click on the most lefthand bar at the bottom of the screen.

Then it shows up but is totally out of place and orientation.

Here is a screen shot link showing where Chart 11553 should show.
http://www.midwestsailing.com/CF/CHART-11553.jpg

What am I doing wrong?
Probably not doing anything wrong. It looks more like 11553-1 didn't load properly. I would try to download this file again.

Do you have opengl checked in tools>charts>advanced?
Old 21-11-2015, 07:40   #992

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkester View Post
Probably not doing anything wrong. It looks more like 11553-1 didn't load properly. I would try to download this file again.

Do you have opengl checked in tools>charts>advanced?
Hi David,
Thanks for the reply.
I have done a complete download of the charts, three times now.
One of those times I downloaded and only installed #11553.
Also grabbed the chart from NOAA's site.

Nothing has changed. #11553 won't interlace.

I tried with the OpenGL box checked and unchecked. Must have the box unchecked to even see the chart/s.
BTW the check box is located at => TOOLS>DISPLAY>ADVANCED>GRAPHICS

After many hours of researching last night, I came across a paragraph in the OpenCPN maual that stated that any chart that is skewed more than 5 degrees will NOT interlace.

If this is still true....then I think that I'm SOL!

It's a shame because I've been using open source OS's and software for years on my Ubuntu file server (using Squid and Samba) and was looking forward to runing Linux/OpenCPN on a tablet.

Thank you for your assistance.
missourisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 15:12   #993

Missouri Sailor, I'm running a slightly newer Beta version. This version is supposed to quilt most projections and skewed charts. At any rate 1. is what I get with about the same level of zoom. And 2. is what I get with one more zoom. Why don't you try the beta?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	113468   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	335.1 KB
ID:	113469  

Old 21-11-2015, 17:34   #994

David,
Thanks once again for the reply.
Yes #2 is what I want/need. Glad to hear that the next version will lace/quilt skewed charts.

During the first half of my life, I Alpha and Beta tested more software than I care to forget.
I'll wait for the stable version.

Do you have a deployment date yet?
Old 21-11-2015, 23:24   #995
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

For the end of the year AND if it is ready...

You can install in parallel several versions. No problem, and testing helps getting the program better.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 18:02   #996

Thanks for the reply BCN.

I'll consider downloading and installing version 4.1.1108beta, on another machine.

But like I said, my testing days are over.
Old 23-11-2015, 07:15   #997

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourisailor View Post
Thanks for the reply BCN.

I'll consider downloading and installing version 4.1.1108beta, on another machine.

But like I said, my testing days are over.
The beta test releases of OpenCPN are useful for many users as a way to preview new features that are coming in the near future.

Back to your need for North-up quilted charts.... The OpenCPN 4.0.0 release version does quilt all of NOAA's vector charts. These cover almost all of the US waters that are charted in raster format. Here is a screenshot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Quited_Vector_OpenCPN_4.0.0.png
Views:	199
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	113623

You can have both raster and vector charts installed in OpenCPN, but the raster charts won't quilt with official (government) vector charts.

Paul
.Paul. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 15:39   #998

Hi Paul, and thanks for the response.

I'm a bit confused with some of your response.
You said: "...OpenCPN 4.0.0 release version does quilt all of NOAA's vector charts". Then go on to say "These cover almost all of the US waters that are charted in raster format."

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that all NOAA charts were rasters.

The chart images that my instance of OpenCPN is presenting, is definitely a raster image. Zoom into far and the image starts to pixilate.

The image that you supplied looks to be a vector chart. And yes, it looks like your vector charts are quilted quite nicely.

My instance of OpenCPN has no problem lacing/quilting any of the other NOAA charts. Only chart #11553 is having problems. At least for this one chart area. I haven't tried any other locations.

The user manual even states... "Skewed charts don't quilt, unless the skew is less than 5°".
Chart Quilting | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Sooo, I guess my question to you would be....
Do you agree with the manual that raster images skewed more than 5 degrees will not quilt with other raster images?

If no, what am I doing wrong?
Old 23-11-2015, 19:38   #999

Boat: Phantom 19

missourisailor...
NOAA produces both RNC (raster) and ENC (vector) charts for most of the area they cover.
It is true for OpenCPN 4.0 that it does not quilt raster charts skewed more than 5 degrees, it is not true anymore for the current 4.1 beta.
You are not doing anything wrong, just use the current beta (or vector version of the charts) if you want to have what you "need". 4.1 as it stands now is IMHO not very broken and it does not come with an obligation to give any feedback if you are beyond that period of your life, although we like feedback and you actually can help us release a more stable "stable" version if you provide some - as you sure know, without it, it won't be as stable as we might think once it is released...

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 20:06   #1000

Boat: Gemini 3200

NOAA issues both Raster Navigation Charts (RNCs) and Electronic Navigational Charts (ENCs). Both are available for free downloads from NOAA's Web site.

NOAA raster navigational charts (NOAA RNC®) are full-color digital images of NOAA paper charts. RNCs are compatible with most marine navigation software, and are available for free.

Raster Navigational Charts: NOAA RNCs

NOAA Electronic Navigational Charts (NOAA ENC®) are vector data sets that represent NOAA's newest and most powerful electronic charting product. NOAA ENCs conform with the International Hydrographic Office (IHO) S-57 international exchange format, comply with the IHO ENC Product Specification, and are provided with incremental updates that supply Notice to Mariners corrections and other critical changes. NOAA ENCs and updates are available for free download. NOAA ENC data may be used to fuel Electronic Chart and Display Information Systems (ECDIS).

Electronic Navigational Charts: NOAA ENCs®

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 17:00   #1001

David, BCN, Paul, Pavel and Fabbian,

Thanks to all of you for your assistance. This exercise has been a real eye opener.

I really like that OpenCPN can view and lace NOAA Raster charts. And with the new version being able to lace skewed charts, this is a deal maker. At least for me.

I have no desire to integrate nor steer the boat with my tablet, laptop and or workstation. My B&G Zues does those things just fine.
I do want to be able to plan and view progress from an independent source. A source that I can use below, at the helm or on deck. Even take it with me to another boat.

Thanks once again.
Great job!
Old 07-12-2015, 08:03   #1002

Boat: Endeavour TrawlerCat 36 - My Bluegill Heaven

I've got a repeating issue with OCPN...

In vector chart display, i choose mariner's standard and show everything (boxes checked) except lights. those rings around the charted lights get in my way, and since i seldom (never) run at night are useless to me.

however, sometimes that setting changes itself back to showing light rings.

details:
OCPN 4.0.0 - although it's been happening a long while and I can't remember if it just started with 4.0 or was happening previously.

shows up on initial startup of OCPN, never changes while running.

erratic - i can't find any pattern to when it happens, but about 1 out of 10 startups.

W7 and XP. three separate computers all with the same issue.

happens with both NOAA and USACE ENC charts.

any ideas? does this happen to anybody else?
BluegillBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:48   #1003

What is the text of the box that's getting rechecked?
Old 08-12-2015, 06:54   #1004
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

was wondering if he touches the "L" on the keyboard - which toggles the Lights.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:21   #1005

Boat: Endeavour TrawlerCat 36 - My Bluegill Heaven

David, the box is LIGHT.

bcn, I don't have a keyboard hooked up. i use an old panasonic LVD-01 touch screen display. but this may be related.

experimenting with my laptop i found something else weird about the LIGHT display and L key toggle.

if the LIGHT box not is checked in the tools, the L key toggles light rings on and checks the LIGHT box. when the L key is used to toggle the light rings off, it turns off the display of rings but leaves the box checked. so when OCPN starts up next time, the light rings are on by default.

i'm not seeing rings toggle on while OCPN is in use, but the on at next start-up is what i'm seeing.

not unchecking the box is a bug to fix i imagine, but what would toggle it in the first place without a keyboard hooked up?

thanks
BluegillBoy is offline   Reply With Quote