Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2023, 21:30   #1

Help with Halo radar

Hello, I am unable to get my Halo radar to work with my OpenCPN. I have a Zeus 3 system and it is working on the Zeus. Here is my configuration:

Lenovo Thinbook with i7 and Windows 11Pro
OpenCPN version 5.8.2
Radar plugin v5.5

I have a NetGear switch that has the Halo radar, Zeus and my PC plugged in. They are all on the same 10.10.10.xxx network.

The Radar plugin has the Navico Halo A box checked. It says that it is initializing.

I have read through the forum and checked everything and I can't find the problem. Any guidance would be appreciated!

Thank you,

Dale
Dwinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 22:59   #2

Boat: Najad 34
Re: Help with Halo radar

Dale..
- Do you see the PC's network connection like: "Unknown connection" "No Internet" ?
- Are Firewalls for Opencpn open?
- Can you post a picture of the Radar Info window.
- Read carefully about "operation" here: https://opencpn-manuals.github.io/ma...0.1/index.html

Example of the Radar Info window:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radarinfo.png
Views:	45
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	275021  
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 08:57   #3

Hi Hakan,

Thanks for your reply! I do have a correct ethernet connection with internet access. And I have read all the instructions that you referenced. There are no firewall issues. Attached are some screen shots.

Thanks for your help!

Old 05-05-2023, 09:06   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwinson View Post
Hi Hakan,

Thanks for your reply! I do have a correct ethernet connection with internet access. And I have read all the instructions that you referenced. There are no firewall issues. Attached are some screen shots.

Thanks for your help!

No screen shots visible to me..
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 09:35   #5

Yes, I see that my photos are not there. I’ve clicked on the photo button and paste the URL and they don’t show up. So I’ve got a research what’s going on sorry about that.
Old 05-05-2023, 09:40   #6

Here are the links to the screen shots

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AsJpmqeuRY5gD6ay8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TwzYoduDDqgKPvMt7
Old 05-05-2023, 11:08   #7
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwinson View Post
Yes, I see that my photos are not there. I’ve clicked on the photo button and paste the URL and they don’t show up. So I’ve got a research what’s going on sorry about that.

It is not just selecting. You need to upload explicitly - and that button gets frequently hidden...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2023-05-05 a las 20.06.12.png
Views:	49
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	275034  
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 11:52   #8

Got it! Attached are the photos
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Opencpn full screen.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	327.1 KB
ID:	275036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Opencpn 2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	298.4 KB
ID:	275037  

Old 06-05-2023, 00:19   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwinson
I have a NetGear switch that has the Halo radar, Zeus and my PC plugged in. They are all on the same 10.10.10.xxx network.
Quote:
I do have a correct ethernet connection with internet access.
If you have Internet access on the wired connection there would be something more connected to the switch?
I'd have started to simplify the connections: Connect only the radar scanner and the PC to the switch. Take out everything else. Power the radar scanner OFF-ON. Restart OCPN and make sure radar plugin is active. (Right click - "Show radar"/"Halo control")
Or
Connect the radar scanner RJ45 plug direct to the PC. (May need a crossover cable in between)

With this you should see a "Unidentified network" - "No internet access" on the PC's network status.
Old 06-05-2023, 23:22   #10

Thanks Hakan, you are right, there is also a PredictWind data hub connected to the switch. I apologize for leaving that off . I have taken the data hub out of the network and restarted everything multiple times and still get the same message, initializing Halo A.

My Zeus controls the power to the radar. I have tried connecting with transmit both on and off.

Because there’s no DHCP provided, my PC is using its default IP address. And my Zeus 3 Ethernet port has no IP address.

I would try connecting the radar directly to the PC, but because of cable length t’s really not possible.

Any other ideas on what I could try to troubleshoot this? Thanks again for all your help!

Dale
Old 07-05-2023, 23:16   #11

Dale..
I'm sailing around so slow response.
You wrote you can use the radar on the Zeus 3?

If so start it from there and connect also OCPN and radar plugin. If on the same switch both would be able to operate simultaneously.
Old 07-05-2023, 23:27   #12

No worries, I appreciate you following up! Getting ready to sail around myself!

Yes, I start the radar on my Zeus three and can see it, and then I try to connect with open CPN and it won’t work, it just says halo initializing

They are both connected to the same switch

Any other ideas you have on how I can troubleshoot this? Thank you!
Old 08-05-2023, 00:40   #13

Next step, and info message, after "initializing" would be "Scanning interface" if a network was found.

You wrote above: -"There are no firewall issues"-. Just to eliminate: Are you sure all listed "OpenCPN" in the firewall collection does allow both internal and external pass through? Please check again.

If no luck: Check the opencpn.log for messages for the radar.
Search for: "MESSAGE radar_pi"

Next step would be to get a verbal opencpn.log set to "Receive".
Old 09-05-2023, 21:48   #14

Hi Hakan, Sorry for the delay, I've been sailing.

So I turned off Windows Defender completely, so I have not firewall. Still the same result. I looked in the log file and found radar_pi, but not sure what it all means. What am I specifically looking for?

Regarding the last step, do I change the Opencpn config file VerboseLog=recieve?

Thanks!

Dale
Old 11-05-2023, 13:54   #15

Dale..
I'm out as well so the same kind of delay.

If you you see nothing but "Initializing" in the Info window it would be due to no network socket is found.
In the log file you can find how to set the VerboseLog. To extend the log info for receive set VerboseLog=8 in the config file.
Then start OCPN and activate radar_pi. (If hidden right click and select "Show radar")
Let it try to find a Halo on the network for some minutes while the radar is powered on.
Close O and check the opencpn.log file for messages like: "navico/NavicoReceive"

I you don't find anything obvious you may upload the log file here. Preferably with only the last OCPN session. To overcome the forum's file size rules you can rename the file to "opencpn.log.pdf" before upload.

(Don't forget to change back to VerboseLog=0 in the config file or you will choke the log.)

Tags
radar