Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2022, 14:54   #1

Boat: CHB Tri-Cab 35ft
help with heading sensor for Radar Overlay

Hi,

I need help sending the heading sensor info to the Simrad Radar for overlay. The Simrad autopilot is on Com 3 and I thought I had the correct NEMA sentences plugged in, but obviously not correctly.

I have Com 3 set as both Incoming/Sending and the Radar is set to supply the Overlay. The Radar works fine in the PPI window.

Thanks for your help.

Armand
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NEMA Oct 5.png
Views:	59
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	265358   Click image for larger version

Name:	Com 3 settings Oct 5.png
Views:	45
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	265359  

armand.seguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 06:31   #2

Boat: Cape Islander - tour boat
Re: help with heading sensor for Radar Overlay

Let me get this straight. COM 3 is the autopilot, Radar is a separate input. Are you trying to get Radar overlay in OpenCPN. It should just require an incoming HDM / HDT / HDG sentence and location data. That is my understanding. Why are you outputing the HDM sentence back to the Autopilot. HDG by the way is better because it can include the magnetic variation and deviation.
ian5142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 16:21   #3

Boat: CHB Tri-Cab 35ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian5142 View Post
Let me get this straight. COM 3 is the autopilot, Radar is a separate input. Are you trying to get Radar overlay in OpenCPN. It should just require an incoming HDM / HDT / HDG sentence and location data. That is my understanding. Why are you outputing the HDM sentence back to the Autopilot. HDG by the way is better because it can include the magnetic variation and deviation.
Ian,

Thanks. Yes, Radar comes into the laptop via ethernet, and I am indeed trying to get the radar picture to overlay onto the charts.

You are saying I should NOT output (Transmit) the HDM/HDT sentences back to the radar. OK. I recently added those, as I had the H sentences shown as Input-accepting and I still had no overlay. And, I don't see the H sentences in the NEMA window?? I understand that I may well have added several NEMA sentences in the filters that may not belong there. That is why I'm asking you and the other users what sentences should be Accepting or Transmitting.

Thanks,

Armand
armand.seguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 18:40   #4

Boat: Cape Islander - tour boat

OK, I am confused. COM3 is a serial port not Ethernet. You even said that COM3 is the autopilot. Which is it, autopilot or Radar?

You can send heading (HDG, HDM, HDT) and location (GLL, RMC, GGA) to the Radar, it may be able to then provide ARPA or MARPA. Basically moving radar targets on your chart display (similar to AIS targets).

Which Simrad radar is it?

Do you have the Radar Pi plugin installed? https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/plugins/radarPI.html

I would also look at the Software Installation and Operation Sections: https://opencpn-manuals.github.io/ma...0.1/index.html

The forum thread is here: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...216057-46.html
ian5142 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, radar, sensor