Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2020, 11:07   #1

Boat: Alubat Ovni 395
How to send the active route as WPL & RTE sentences?

For nine years my navigational system has been MacENC running on a Mac with an iPad running iNavX at the wheel station. It has worked great but MacENC is obsolete and I must move on. Hence I am moving to OpenCPN and it is looking good.

One feature of MacENC is that once a route has been activated, MacENC repeatedly sends the active route over WiFi as a series of WPL and RTE sentences. This means that iNavX is always working with the latest active route as set up by the navigator below. If the navigator adds a waypoint, deletes or moves one, the iPad is promptly updated.

So how can I get something comparable when using OpenCPN? I am aware that I can export a route and airdrop it onto iNavX but this is cumbersome. There is a 'Send to GPS' function in the OpenCPN Routes tab but sending over a network connection is not supported. In any event, neither of these approaches keeps iNavX devices in sync with OpenCPN. It is crucial that I avoid a situation whereby the navigator makes an adjustment to the route but the helmsman continues with the now out-of-date route. Updating needs to happen automatically to avoid mishaps, particularly under arduous conditions or when watch keepers may be tired.

So I come back to wanting OpenCPN to send the active route as WPL and RTE sentences. Can this be done?

Help will be very appreciated.
Antipole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, route