Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2015, 20:14   #46

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Hydrographic Survey Plugin

Petter what a great offer! If Pavel doesn't want the display, I'll beat Sean would be interested. Thanks for helping everyone out!

Happened find this good document:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Behi...utf-8&oe=utf-8
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 20:20   #47

Boat: Phantom 19

Rick...
Of course I do. Almost as much as 36 hour days, 4-8 arms (five fingers attached at the end of each), 2 independent brains and a thousand bucks under the pillow every morning
Or someone capable of C++ coding, willing to take over some of these prototypes...

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 21:49   #48

Ready to help with testing and concept. Worked with professional hydrographic survey software
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:38   #49

Pavel, you need to be cloned! Same for bdcat, boat_alexandra, ptizef, mollymock, and all the other programmers! You all have done a superb job with Opencpn. Hopefully it will be recognized as the leading opensource Chart Navigator, and as offering simplicity and outstainding features and plugins that rival all paid programs.
Old 24-09-2015, 09:34   #50

Spent some time with survey_pi from Pavel.

I have added to the import feature and made an option to read from a NMEA file, like the one produced by the VDR plugin. Time of sounding is not implemented correctly yet.

A compiled version for Windows and OpenCPN 4.0.0 is on GitHub, along with the files to use the plugin. Also the source code I modified.

https://github.com/Rasbats/survey_pi

Problem...the plugin crashes O when O closes.

3:46:50 PM: PlugInManager: Deactivating PlugIn: C:\Program Files\OpenCPN\plugins\survey_pi.dll
3:46:50 PM: SURVEY_PI: Close Msg: 0

3:46:50 PM: PlugInManager: Deactivating PlugIn: C:\Program Files\OpenCPN\plugins\vdr_pi.dll
3:46:50 PM: opencpn::MyFrame exiting cleanly.
3:46:50 PM: Chart cache purge
3:46:50 PM: PlugInManager: UnLoading PlugIn: C:\Program Files\OpenCPN\plugins\survey_pi.dll
....... and then nothing.

Msg:0 indicates the database closed successfully.

Perhaps someone could take a look at the code and spot the mistake.

Working with hydromagic format files and NMEA txt files demonstrated some limitations when inserting a large number of soundings into the sqlite database. It may be a slow process.

My interest is in small areas like Yacht Club moorings or anchorages. In this scenario a small set of soundings could work.

What could be interesting is if we could submit soundings to OpenSeaMap and have the option of receiving back a subset of those soundings (corrected) to work on using the plugin.

Mike
Rasbats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 14:46   #51

Boat: Phantom 19

Mike...
Any chance you could set up your repo as a proper fork so pull requests can be created easily?
I will try to have a look at the crash over the weekend.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 01:43   #52

Pavel,

Thanks. I have set up a fork of your original plugin and added my (very limited) efforts. Compiled Windows dll and associated files are still present.

https://github.com/Rasbats/survey_pi

Apologies to anyone using my first GitHub repository.

Mike
Old 25-09-2015, 17:24   #53

Boat: Robert 35 Centre Cockpit

Pavel well done this is an amzing plugin. I wont to get into sending data to OpenSeaMaps but I think this will be an excellent way of getting started in creating my own soundings.

Where I sail is very shallow so my own set of soundings on my usual tracks / routes will be very handy.

George

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Howdy...
The idea of a plugin able to record and display sounding data appeared a couple of times in the past, so here's a prototype implementation.

Currently the plugin is very simple - it records all the soundings that come reasonably close to a position fix (thanks to SethDart for the code I as usually cannibalized from the dashboard) and draws them as a more or less configurable overlay.
The logic is currently totally unoptimized, so don't expect miracles. There's also no functionality allowing you to organize the recorded data implemented - get spatialite-gui to play with the data at database level (look for survey.sqlite in the same place where your config file is).

Don't worry that you sit in your armchair and don't have an NMEA stream available - the prototype comes with a little testing dataset at 037 52.4031 N 122 18.8240 W

TODO for a reasonable future:
  • Sensor (sounder/GPS) offsets to achieve the best possible accuracy
  • Performance tuning and display optimization (not much sense to draw all the recorded soundings while at 1:100000 scale etc.)
  • Basic data organization functions
  • Integration with TeamSurv
  • Whatever you suggest

The plugin uses the excellent spatialite library as it's storage backend. It means you can very easily get the data to pretty much any GIS system and you can work with the data directly using standalone SQL tools (Look at https://www.gaia-gis.it/fossil/spatialite_gui and https://www.gaia-gis.it/fossil/spatialite_gis).

The Windows build is available at https://github.com/downloads/nohal/s...01_pi17_pi.dll (Perhaps, if not already available on your system, you will also need https://github.com/downloads/nohal/survey_pi/iconv.dll placed in your OpenCPN program directory) - Remember that you need OpenCPN 2.6.1524 for this thing to run.
Source at https://github.com/nohal/survey_pi

As usually any contributions and ideas are more than welcome. If someone feels like wanting to try to code something for OpenCPN, this is an ideal opportunity - the code is really very simple at this point.

Pavel
yachtmanforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 21:49   #54

to build their depth maps (bathymetry) is sufficient records to the database three values - latitude, longitude, depth, in text format .xyz
Next to process the data in programs Surfer, GlobalMapper, ArcGis. You get the output vector depth contours and depth mark or color raster bathymetry that can be converted into a BSB (KAP) format.

I need a plug generator bathymetry in real time. as it makes the program DrDepth https://youtu.be/bcJ8RJK5LqI
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 03:22   #55

Ok, found the problem with O 4.0.0 crashing. This happened with both ObjSearch_pi and Survey_Pi, when O was closed.

My pc was running both MSVisual C++ 2013 and 2010. By removing 2013 and a lot of MS associated programs the problem has gone away.

My fork from Pavel on GitHub should compile and run now. Instead of reading NMEA directly this version reads from a text file made with VDR_pi. No corrections for tide or met.

Mike
Old 16-10-2015, 00:51   #56
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Mike,

can you post and/or add to the Github which dll and files are required for the Windows version to be intalled? Screenshot for example...

You are mentioning in the text the iconv.dll with a link to Pavels repository while the same(?) is in your Github.

Any chance to get a 4.1.x version?

I would like to give it a try.

Thanks

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 02:41   #57

Hubert ...

For OpenCPN 3.2.2 and 4.0.0:-
'iconv.dll' from my fork is the same as the one posted on Pavel's GitHub. I placed this in the main OpenCPN program, alongside OpenCPN.exe.

survey_pi.dll from the main folder of my GitHub repository is the plugin itself.

These two files should be all that is needed.

nohal_soundings.gmp is a HydroMagic file, if you want to play with an import.

Rausch.txt is a NMEA file, for testing importing NMEA sentences (not much depth data).

For OpenCPN 4.1:-
With Visual Studio C++ 2013 (Express) installed O 4.0.0 crashed on exit when using both survey_pi and objsearch_pi. (Both these plugins use SQLite - is this significant?)

I will try and re-install VS2013 and see what happens!!! Intend compiling the latest 4.1 beta and including survey_pi for this version. Watch this space!

Mike
Old 16-10-2015, 02:54   #58
bcn

Mike,

understood. Thanks!
Shall see this weekend.

Hubert
Old 16-10-2015, 03:24   #59

I just saw this and will try to compile it this morning.
Old 16-10-2015, 03:30   #60
bcn

Couldn't resist and did try. (Win8.1, 4.0.0)

Crashes when changing from Profile to Soundings tab with a survey selected.
No entry in the ocpn.log

The vdr attached does contain about 500 soundings.

Proposal: can the NMEA file selector accept plain VDR files, i.e. without the .txt ?

What does the "number of soundigs" mean when "Read NMEA File"?

Any screenshot what I would have to expect as result?

Hubert
Attached Files
File Type: doc depth2.txt.doc (207.5 KB, 60 views)

Tags
survey