Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 17:00   #1

Exclamation I Have a Few Questions Regarding OpenCPN

First off I wish to say thanks, as this is exactly what I was looking for in a chart plotter. Easy to use, and very familiar to any Windows user.

However I have a couple of glitches related to, COG SOG, and the ownship icon. When sitting still, the ownship icon spins frequently one direction or another, while the SOG fluctuates up and down from 0 to almost 3 kts, as well the heading spins all around the points. I'm using a GlobalSat BU353, and this occurs with either the 1.36 or betas. Is there something I forgot to do? Also is there some way to calibrate the GPS and OpenCPN, or is this not required like on some other plotters. Also would it be possible to shrink the ownship icon down a bit?? It's a bit on the large side, when you're actually navigating, it takes up the whole channel.

Thanks for any assistance!
Skua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 22:24   #2

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skua View Post
When sitting still, the ownship icon spins frequently one direction or another, while the SOG fluctuates up and down from 0 to almost 3 kts, as well the heading spins all around the points.
Hello Skua,

this is your gps talking, it gets confused when there's no movement. You could dampen your bu 353 using software (such as polarcom on win mac or linux, or gippy on linux).

Quote:
Also would it be possible to shrink the ownship icon down a bit?? It's a bit on the large side, when you're actually navigating, it takes up the whole channel.
That's a fairly common request (as in I've seen it before), do note it will get proportionately smaller as you zoom in further.

I suppose the icon wants to be large on overview charts so its easier to spot, whilst approaching realistic (leisure craft) proportions on detail charts.

Perhaps you want to put a feature request in here, don't think there is one at present.