Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2014, 11:09   #1

Boat: Irwin 37 CC
ICWW Route making

The following is not a feature request or a bug.

I'm planning a ICWW trip for next year.

On my last ICW trip (Autofollow on), in several areas O switched to a smaller (or same) scale (non ICW) chart and I lost the "magenta line". This can be confusing (especially to crew) in these areas (usually around an inlet).

I'm constructing a route (lost the old one) for the ICW from Norfolk to Miami. In constructing this route the problem is worse. O will often switch to a non ICW chart. I think the difference is "Autofollow" keeps the chart centered and switches charts as the chart boundry crosses the mid line of the screen. In the non Autofollow mode, the chart switch occurs just as the chart nears the border of the screen.

I'm probably going to create an ICW group that removes the 1/20000 and smaller scale charts. This should fix the first problem. Also I might experiment with course up.

Any suggestions on the second problem, "Trying to construct an ICW route"? I'm about finished (contact me if you would like a copy), but this might be helpful for other situations

I've thought about a chart group that only includes ICW charts, that would require a lot of "Remove Charts"
Old 16-12-2014, 18:22   #2

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: ICWW Route making

Well, it seems electronics have progressed to the point that I don't understand much of your post.
Autofollow?
Constructing a route?
Switch to a non ICW chart?
ICW group?

David, it seems that you work a lot harder than I do. I just use my paper charts and follow the markers.
By the way, the "magenta lines" are considered so out of date that the coasties recommend against using them.

Also, what the hell is "O"?

Perhaps somebody more techno literate can be of assistance.
Old 16-12-2014, 18:49   #3
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

I'm with Mike, it ain't brain surgery.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 18:59   #4

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkester View Post
The following is not a feature request or a bug.

I'm planning a ICWW trip for next year.

On my last ICW trip (Autofollow on), in several areas O switched to a smaller (or same) scale (non ICW) chart and I lost the "magenta line". This can be confusing (especially to crew) in these areas (usually around an inlet).

I'm constructing a route (lost the old one) for the ICW from Norfolk to Miami. In constructing this route the problem is worse. O will often switch to a non ICW chart. I think the difference is "Autofollow" keeps the chart centered and switches charts as the chart boundry crosses the mid line of the screen. In the non Autofollow mode, the chart switch occurs just as the chart nears the border of the screen.

I'm probably going to create an ICW group that removes the 1/20000 and smaller scale charts. This should fix the first problem. Also I might experiment with course up.

Any suggestions on the second problem, "Trying to construct an ICW route"? I'm about finished (contact me if you would like a copy), but this might be helpful for other situations

I've thought about a chart group that only includes ICW charts, that would require a lot of "Remove Charts"
You may have to have O configured to run in portable mode (more than one opencpn.conf) and then one instance may display only the ICW group in autofollow, and using alt-tab you can access the other charts in a different instance of O. Unfortunately O cannot use shared memory to share chart data between instances, but it wouldn't be difficult to implement.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 00:18   #5

Boat: 1988 Nelson Trawler

Hi wdkester
I've used OpenCPN tons over the last couple of years on the ICW, but not as my chartplotter. I use it almost exclusively as my route planner. IMO there is no need to create and follow a route per se to use on the ICW when all you have to do is follow the magenta line on the chart plotter. And I'm not contradicting the other replyers that say you only need paper charts and follow the markers. I think I'm like you; got access to good tools? Use 'em.
My go-to route planning tools (ICW or otherwise) are OpenCPN, ActiveCaptain, Cruisersnet, paper charts. When I create a route in O I manually enter my waypoints into my JRC 1800 chartplotter.

The other reply-ers are right about the magenta line though. I think it is fair to say that there are at least some problem spots along the ICW that it is better to keep your head up and follow the markers instead of concentrating on following the magenta line. Obviously, as a veteran ICW skipper, you already know this. I'm just adding my thoughts.

AICW Problem Areas | Cruisers' Net
Follow the link to as good a description of the problems as you can find anywhere. When we came down just a few weeks ago we found the two most difficult were the entrance to Alligator River (see North Mouth of Alligator River AICW Problem Stretch – Captains Mark and Diana Report (St. M. 81) | Cruisers' Net ) and Brown's Inlet (Camp Lejeune) (see ICW – Intersection of AICW and Browns inlet | Cruisers' Net )

To be honest, all the route planning is one of the aspects of boating I enjoy the most. I'm kind of anal that way. For instance, I'm home in St. Louis right now (our boat is in JAX) and we have a pretty aggressive cruising season ahead of us (Bahamas, Florida, Keys, Texas) and I'm just about ready to start my planning. Oh boy!
skipperdarrell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw, route