Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2023, 09:55   #16

Boat: Najad 34
Re: Ignore sentences when priority source is available

"I do wonder why the radar plug-in picks it up though. "
Yes maybe strange, but...(speculating..)
As HDG is a magnetic heading and we have to make a true heading with the help of the variation, in this case, supplied by HDG. That's a calculation done in OCPN and it may be it's passing "behind" the connection priorities.
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2023, 09:58   #17

Boat: Neel 51 trimaran
Re: Ignore sentences when priority source is available

Hakan,
hope you are well brother.
It is funny, I am also using the vesper cortex, it is converted from NMEA to my NKE topline. This topline is then connected via usb to my nav PC, windows 11 in this instance (although I test mac and Linux etc). I figured it was quicker USB than connected via WIFI of the Cortex. I notice this same jumping behaviour also and is what I described to you in a different post. It is possible to switch off the excellent heading sensor in the vortex, but that is kind of the point amongst other things for the vesper. Occasionally due to the difference in the headings received by the plugin, (as I understand it), then the radar sweep, resets itself.
(Perhaps Unrelated)
All my data stream comes into open cpn with no errors in debug. However, when I try to use the multiplex (nmea Out) feature over TCP to other machines on the same network over 10110 the NMEA machines receive it, but all of a sudden I now get a lot of errors on the debug window in the master machine sending the NMEA data over wifi and I noticed that this seems to exacerbate the issue on the radar plugin.
Unrelated to the above it could be the processor or the radar direct cable. The mini pc is gigabit LAN. MeLe Quiter fanless. I have started to speculate this as the m2 mac is clearly a beast and seems to work flawlessly from my testing. Furtermore a good linux machine )(matebook running fedora seems to be happy.
BTW there is also an Actisense doing the conversion of Verper NMEA to the topline.
All 3 different machines I simply swap the USB serial that provides the NMEA data to opencpn adn directly attach the radar to the gigabit eth port.
I am not sure if this adds any value to you but If not, my GF thinks I would make a great anchor.
Thanks as always.
James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	279794   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	279795