Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2015, 19:45   #1

Incorrect placement of waypoint after coordinate input

Hi,
I have a new laptop, running on Windows 8, opencpn version 4.00. I am putting in waypoints on this laptop via the Tools, Route and Mark Manager, Waypoints, New, method but the waypoints appear in the wrong position on CM93 map.

The waypoints I entered initially were correct. However as I moved to the east and north by some 48 nm the waypoints were in the wrong position. And yet further waypoints added, some 120nm to the NW, were again in the correct position.

I confirmed the incorrect positions by comparison with my other laptop (Windows 7, opencpn version 4.0.0) running side by side with the new laptop, and entering the same waypoints.

Can anyone help?

Thanks JMK
JMK200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 20:28   #2

Re: Incorrect placement of waypoint after coordinate input

My new laptop (Toshiba) is running Windows 8.1. I cna't find whether that is supported by Opencpn?
Thanks
Old 11-11-2015, 06:37   #3

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK200 View Post
Hi,
I have a new laptop, running on Windows 8, opencpn version 4.00. I am putting in waypoints on this laptop via the Tools, Route and Mark Manager, Waypoints, New, method but the waypoints appear in the wrong position on CM93 map.

The waypoints I entered initially were correct. However as I moved to the east and north by some 48 nm the waypoints were in the wrong position. And yet further waypoints added, some 120nm to the NW, were again in the correct position.

I confirmed the incorrect positions by comparison with my other laptop (Windows 7, opencpn version 4.0.0) running side by side with the new laptop, and entering the same waypoints.

Can anyone help?

Thanks JMK
How about a screen shot showing the WP properties and the WP with the cursor positioned on top of it.

Is opengl on? Does this happen with it off? What type of charts?
Old 11-11-2015, 10:16   #4

Thanks, I'm a real beginner, what is open gl? Have not done a screenshot before but will give it a go. Thanks for your help. Stand by!
Old 12-11-2015, 06:41   #5

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK200 View Post
Thanks, I'm a real beginner, what is open gl? Have not done a screenshot before but will give it a go. Thanks for your help. Stand by!
Opengl is a library used to render charts. It is enabled/disabled in Options>Display>Advanced. I don't know what the default is.

To get a screen shot: 1.set up the screen that you want to capture 2. press print screen on the keyboard (this puts the screen image on the clipboard) 3. go to a grafics program like "Paint" and paste the image. 4. Save as a jpeg and add it to your next post.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:16   #6

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Don't know if this might be a problem at all but after I crewed on a cruiser newbie's boat I found out that he did not understand the difference in lat/lon in degrees/minutes/secs versus degrees/decimal minutes. Decimal minutes can go up to .999 which would be about 59+ seconds. Just a thought and understandable if you had never seen it before.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men