Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2014, 04:43   #46

Boat: Najad 34
Re: Inexpensive heading sensor?

George...
If you've a TP30 I think it's the same control program as in my WP30 and then neither accept incoming- nor export its own- heading information via NMEA. It can however be connected to a Fluxgate using a separate bus cable talking "Navico Corus Network". If you know the syntax for that bus it can likely be programmed but I don't.

What about tilting the tiller pilot?? (That was bad -- sorry)
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 06:54   #47

The Navico bus probably is not only using different strings but also a different network protocol....
George64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 21:38   #48

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Thanks, Hakan. Since my autopilot is getting heading via nmea, and it does not appear to be getting on the ST bus (at least the gadgetpoole.de ST Link does not have it converted to nmea) perhaps I have to wire the fluxgate compass talker to a simple multiplexer which also has the converted ST seatalk signals. I have been multplexing by using a simple USB hub to join AIS and Instrument data (ST - nmea0183) and GPS puck. Now I need to wire the nmea talker to RS232 then convert that to USB and put that on a 4 port usb hub but so many wires. Is there a better way?
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 00:57   #49

Rick..
Well, more gadgets, more wires -- as long not on wifi that's somehow connected.
Somewhere you have to connect them all to get all data into O. My O solution is to have a docking station, screwed to the nav-board, for the PC and all wires to that. Then the connections are done only once. If I want to use O at cockpit I have a Andriod tablet VNC connected to the PC via a wifi router.
That's my way and there are as usual plenty others.

Håkan
Old 27-11-2017, 10:11   #50

Boat: Friendship 28

Hi,

I grabbed out this old threat cause I now build an arduino based heading compass with the CMPS11-Modul. This compass-modul is the following modul of the cmps10.

I did minor changes to the circuit, added two Switches as pushbuttons, a LED as a status light and a connection for changing between HDG and HDM nmea sentence.

The compass gives the HDG or HDM NMEA sentence as a seriell output. Useful for any nmea Network.

When pressing the pushbutton 1 then the led lights for 10 minutes. In this ten minutes you can calibrate the compass in horizontal plane. When pressing the t2 button then the calibration is stored (the led will blink to Show that the calibration is stored). After 10 minutes the calibration is auto-stored (the led blinks too).

Pressing t1 and t2 together then you do a factory reset from the compass modul.

Tested it here at home. Works. Maybe the compass modul needs full three axis calibration first, then you can change the programm. There is a commend-line wich told you where to to. But don´t Forget to write it back after the full calibration. It´s better for your boat when you only calibrate in horizontal plane

When the connection for the HDG/HDM sentence is closed then you´ll get the HDM-sentence and if not closed then you´ll get the HDG-sentence.

In the two pdfs you´ll find the sketch (programm) for the arduino and the plan for the circuit.

Regards

Andreas
Attached Files
File Type: pdf compass3.pdf (48.0 KB, 156 views)
File Type: pdf schaltplan.pdf (77.3 KB, 126 views)
Andreas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 21:48   #51

Hi,

forgot to write down yesterday:

Calibrating the sensor is like the calibrating of a tiller pilot. On a calm day without waves just slowly drive two or three 360-degree turns.

Regards

Andreas
Old 28-11-2017, 03:12   #52

Andreas..
Very good, thanks for sharing.

The calibration process for cmps11 seems more reliable then for my older cmps10. I didn't used that feature since for cmps10 you've to enter cal mode, turn 90 degr, send cal. command (F5), turn 90 degr send F5 .....and so on. So instead I made a hard coded deviation table based on manual observations.

I look forward to hear from you when you've made an on board calibration and checked the results. Maybe I would change to the cmps11?
Thanks
Håkan
Old 28-11-2017, 03:32   #53

Hi,

yes, the calibration routine of the cmps11 is very much usabler that the older one.

Just enter the calibration mode and then turning the sensor round the x,y,z axis if you do a full three axis calibration or just turn round the y axle when doing a calibration in horizontal plane (this is done when driving 360-degree turns).

After that just store the calibration and that´s all.

When the sensor is accurate installed then the tilt compensation works really great. I can turn the sensor over the x or y axle and the heading value just jump around of a difference of one degree (cause of the rounding function in the program).
When moving around the z axle (heading) e.g. from N to S and back to N then exactly at the same Position it shows me the N-heading. No divergence. So it seemd to be accurate enough.

Regards

Andreas
Old 28-11-2017, 09:07   #54

Hi,

when you reduce the delay values after the two "display data(......)" lines to e.g. 100 each then you get a 10 Hz gyro. With the 250ms it is a 4 Hz Gyro. Write you down there 1000 then you´ll have a 1Hz gyro.

What ever you write down there, be shure that your network is fast enough.

Regards

Andreas
Old 28-11-2017, 13:04   #55

Andreas29 -This is also helpful. How fast must thetwork be for 2 mhz? 10mhz?

Is it possible to use this for a heel/pitch sensor?
Old 28-11-2017, 22:44   #56

Hi,

@rgleason: The cmps11 sensor runs up to 100kHz in IC2-Mode or up to 38400 baud in seriell mode.
Somewhere in the www I read that the module makes something of 99xxx measurements per sek. this conforms to the 100 khz in IC2 mode.

I refer to a NMEA Network with my phrase of the network speed.
Most units in a nmea network are sending data with an update rate of 1 Hz, some with 0,4 Hz and some "High Speed"-Units with 10 Hz.

So when you put on such a network a talker who talks to fast (e.g. 30 or 100 hz) then it can happens, that this is too fast for the other listeners in this network and that this produces a crash in the Network (or in some units of the network) or that only the informations from the fast talker are send over the network and the other talkers can´t place information in the network.

The cmps11 read the heel (roll) and pitch information and yes, you can use it.
In the sketch in the display data subroutine there are some commended lines like //Serial.Print(..); If you left uncommended the lines from //Seriel.Print("Pitch = "); to //Serial.Println(r); then you´ll see the pitch and roll (heel) values in the arduinos serial monitorwindow. With the variables p and r you can build a nmea sentence with the heel and pitch information and let send it to the nmea network.

Regards

Andreas
Old 29-11-2017, 10:54   #57

Very nice thankyou
Old 30-11-2017, 02:27   #58

Hi,

@rgleason: When you look at the sketch from Hakan and compare it with my cmps11-sketch you´ll see that in Hakans sketch are a few more lines who calls the "display data" subroutine and that there are two more blocks witch are for building a nmea sentence. I didn´t use theese parts in my sketch cause I don´t need them. But you can use it as an example for build a sketch as your choice.

Regards

Andreas
Old 30-11-2017, 12:13   #59

Hi,

now I found the time to make some pics.

Here they are.

The black box is the housing of the compass sensor.

Regards

Andreas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bild1.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	159980   Click image for larger version

Name:	bild2.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	159981  

Old 30-11-2017, 21:31   #60

Andreas
I'd like to add your pdf & photos and descriptions to the supplementary hardware section about hakan's compass. Is that ok?