Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2020, 14:01   #1

Installing OpenCPN on Ubuntu 20.04 ARM64 (beta)

I already mentioned it in the USB dongle thread, but I finally got the USB dongle to work with my Ubuntu system. This is more a proof of concept than an installation manual. The process is currently not difficult, but still far from trivial.

First install was on an Odroid C4 (ARM64 / 4GB)
Second install (currently testing the chart) on an RPI4 (ARM64 / 4GB)

Step 1, get a copy of Ubuntu 20.04 Focal ARM64 and install it.
The Odroid ships with Ubuntu out-of-the-box (or nearly)
For the RPI4 Ubuntu 20.04 is the first official available release, however keep in mind that you install the server version or minimal version. I leave adding a suitable environment for Ubuntu to your own imagination (not really hard, but certainly not trivial).

Step 2, after you finished configuring your desktop install OpenCPN. Most recent version, currently beta:
Code:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bdbcat/opencpn
$ sudo apt-get install opencpn

Step 3, add an extra architecture and some necessary libraries
Code:
$ sudo dpkg --add-architecture armhf
$ sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
$ sudo apt-get install libc6:armhf libstdc++6:armhf libusb-0.1-4:armhf

Step 4, get some packages needed from the bdbcat PPA, we are going to force-install them. Would not know how to do that with apt-get therefore I just use dpkg.

Code:
$ cd
$ wget https://launchpad.net/~opencpn/+archive/ubuntu/opencpn/+files/oesenc-pi_4.0.10-0~focal1_armhf.deb
$ wget https://launchpad.net/~opencpn/+archive/ubuntu/opencpn/+files/opencpn-sglock-arm32_0.1.11-0~bionic1_armhf.deb
$ sudo dpkg --force-depends -i ~/oesenc-pi_4.0.10-0~focal1_armhf.deb
$ cd /usr/bin/
$ sudo mv oeserverd  oeserverd-armhf
$ cd /usr/lib/opencpn/
$ sudo mv liboesenc_pi.so  liboesenc_pi-armhf.so
$ sudo dpkg -r oesenc-pi
$ sudo apt-get install oesenc-pi               <= here the arm64-version will be installed
$ cd /usr/bin/
$ sudo mv oeserverd  oeserverd-arm64
$ sudo ln -s oeserverd-armhf oeserverd
 $ sudo dpkg --force-depends -i ~/opencpn-sglock-arm32_0.1.11-0~bionic1_armhf.deb

PS with the amount of sudo command here I usually do this as root.
PPS if you get the order wrong you will find yourself uninstalling all programs up-to-your mistake.

Step 5, start OpenCPN, enable the plugin @pluginmanager, fill in the usual credentials at @oeSENC charts, select en download the chart.

The first start with my chart set was 2 hours loading time. After, I believe you should just push "Prepare all ENC charts" and OK. The "Force Full Rebuild" on my system costs another 2 hours and the charts are not loaded afterwards. With the correct options eventually the charts should load and you may enable your oeSENC charts which are coupled with the Dongle.

While I'm typing this I'm waiting for the first check to finish on the RPI4. Hope that finishes faster than the first system.

One thing I did not mention was the udev settings of the dongle. Those should be installed when oesenc-pi is installed.

Another thing: after force-installing OpenCPN-SGlock-arm64 currently the apt-get system breaks. Before you can install or update another package you should first remove sglock, install everything and reinstall sglock. The dependency of sglock on OpenCPN:armhf currently really bites.

After the process is finished you should have:
- Ubuntu 20.04 / ARM64
- OpenCPN / ARM64
- oeSENC plugin / ARM64
- oeServerd binary / ARMHF
- sglock-arm32 / ARMHF
hreuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 14:48   #2

Re: Installing OpenCPN on Ubuntu 20.04 ARM64 (beta)

I just got the first oeSENC chart displayed on the RPI4/ARM64. The first rebuild was on installing and after a Force Full Rebuild the map showed (in contrast with what I thought).

Therefore success on the second system.
hreuver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn