Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2014, 10:49   #1

Integration of Active Captain Data

I've seen posts asking about adding Active Captain data into the Open CPM package. The response I recall indicated that it had been explored, but didn't go forward because Active Captain is a commercial product. I had assumed that meant that Active Captain wanted payment for use of their data under license. If that's not accurate, it's not clear what the issue is.

Might be worthwhile to revisit the topic. Active Captain states that they license their data free of charge:

> <<<3rd Party Partner Apps >>>

>From the beginning, we realized that ActiveCaptain data needed to be displayed in many more places than just the website. Websites have a hard time interfacing to GPS plus using a website requires online access. We thought that the perfect solution would be having the entire ActiveCaptain database offline, inside a real navigation product so it could be used with nautical charts and especially while underway.

>We approached a few companies with the ideas and the communications interface to allow the offline database to be synchronized to guarantee it was up to date. Each product manager had their own set of product enhancements planned and many were interested in the idea of using our data but we knew it was going to take time to fit into their schedules.

>Today there are 40 companies that license ActiveCaptain data. We can't let this walk down memory lane pass by without giving a shout-out to MaxSea. They were the first, showing the new integration at the boat show">Miami Boat Show in 2010: https://activecaptain.com/newsletters/2010-02-15.php

>There are about 30 applications that support ActiveCaptain data today. They include some of the very best navigation products on the market. There are multiple products for Windows, Macintosh, iPhone/iPad, and Android. You have your choice on every platform. Each product has its own set of capabilities. There are free products and products at a variety of price points. There's even another website that displays the ActiveCaptain data, Weather Underground - from their home page, select More / Activities / Sailing Weather: Sailing Weather | Weather Underground

>With ActiveCaptian data being in so many places, many boaters are confused about how it all works. You may not know that we license the data for free to these companies. [Emphasis added] It costs nothing for the navigation products to use and distribute the ActiveCaptain data. The applications come from each of the third parties. We don't write the software and it is not being purchased from us. If you have a problem, question, or suggestion for one of the navigation products, you'll receive the best answers by writing or calling technical support for the product you installed or purchased. Plus it's critical that these third party developers hear the questions and suggestions from their users so they can take that information and make their products better. >>>
https://activecaptain.com/newsletters/2014-09-24.php

So far, Active Captain data is spare in a lot of areas, but growing nicely and quite well developed in others. It would be nice to have this unique and useful data integrated into Open CPN in an appropriate fashion. While Active Captain can be used in parallel with Open CPN, the need to switch back and forth is often awkward and occasionally dangerous.

LH44 Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 11:25   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Integration of Active Captain Data

Anne... Until ActiveCaptain decides that this can happen, it can't happen. The ball is on their side. For several years already.

Pavel

Sent from
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 13:45   #3
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Anne... Until ActiveCaptain decides that this can happen, it can't happen. The ball is on their side. For several years already.

Pavel
Why have they decided it can't happen ? Maybe if enough people drop them an email they might change their mind ?
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 13:57   #4

Jd1...
These are questions for ActiveCaptain - feel free to have a go with them. You will be neither first, nor last, I suppose.

Pavel
Old 24-09-2014, 14:02   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

From what I understand, Active Captain does not want their script to be pirated and they think that putting it in an open source software may allow this.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 14:28   #6
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

With the S63 plug-in OpenCPN is demonstrating that there are viable solutions for DRM burdened contents. And this has been a quite complicated (mine)field.

The other question is who would implement ActiveCaptain for O (in case Jeffrey Siegel, the owner of AC, would change his mind).
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 18:35   #7

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

take a look at the squiddio plugin

I don't think anyone wants to take the time to write a restricted plugin for active captain when we already have a working free alternative.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 20:04   #8

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Squiddio has loads of potential and a good integrated website to support this effort I hope lots of people will use it!

I've made some entries as a learning trial and to see how it works.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 20:05   #9
cruiser

Do they have a new CEO yet?
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 12:03   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Squiddio has loads of potential and a good integrated website to support this effort I hope lots of people will use it!

I've made some entries as a learning trial and to see how it works.
Can you provide more detail on this? I have no desire to use AC and would like to know what alternatives are available.
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 13:15   #11

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=132122

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 28-09-2014, 13:19   #12

For what it's worth, this is the view from Jeff at AC on integration with Opencpn...

"The license is too restrictive and my attorneys have warned me against being involved with it. I've looked into the issues and I agree with their analysis. That said, there is an open interface that I developed that will allow interfacing to software like OCPN. It's not a very high priority to be honest and someone would have to write a plugin using our open API.

We get almost no demand for OpenCPN interfacing. I have to balance that against the many people who want ActiveCaptain on their chartplotters. That's finally been done and there'll be a lot coming out with that in this next season. Our goal is to have the data everywhere so I'm not against having it in OCPN at all.

Now is the time to find someone interested in writing a plugin. I wouldn't be able to write it myself - we'll just be providing the interface to the full data. I could start working with someone on a beta interface almost any time - the guts of it are done now.

...Jeff"
KenNorris49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 13:45   #13

Ken...
As part of a perpetual discussion with Jeff, a design proposal for this plug-in and underlying infrastructure, as far as I can tell resolving the legal concerns he might have, is on his table for quite some time without any further reaction...

Pavel
Old 28-09-2014, 14:51   #14

So, I guess it is squiddio plugin for us, unless there is a volunteer programmer passionate enough about the need/advantages of Active Captain. It certainly does not sound like Jeff is that interested in including Opencpn in his galaxy. It is a little to bad this detente. However there is plenty else to do!
Old 28-09-2014, 14:59   #15

Rick...
The problem is not lack of a volunteer programmer. I will implement this plug-in immediately when it is possible = when AC approves it and starts cooperating. It was made clear to Jeff.

Pavel

Tags
captain