Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2023, 17:16   #31

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Internet AIS

"everyone who has AIS has an Internet connection on their boat. I can guarantee that."

Maybe in your bubble, but DEFINITELY not true here in British Columbia... nor in Mexico
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2023, 17:37   #32

Boat: Jeanneau - Merry Fisher 925

some of you had pointed it, AIS is a VHF based encrypted system.
there is another system for commercial vessel called LRIT (Long Range Identification and Tracking), some useful info:
https://www.imo.org/es/OurWork/Safety/Paginas/LRIT.aspx
based in satellite comms as Inmarsat-C (for this system Mini-C)
above system used not to be public.

also, some info from IMO about AIS:
https://www.imo.org/es/OurWork/Safety/Paginas/AIS.aspx

I don't know but they have been loaded as Spanish (also official language of IMO).

the question is that you want to make another "Like AIS" with the data on board, Transmitted how and to where?

well, somehow complicated because of national, international regulations about data protection, and other reasons in previous messages.
really don't know what to say.

Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave
Corsair63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2023, 17:41   #33

The IMO is clear in sharing AIS info:
Quote:
Maritime security - AIS ship data
At its seventy-ninth session, in December 2004, the Maritime Safety Committee (MSC) agreed that, in relation to the issue of freely available automatic information system (AIS)-generated ship data on the world-wide web, the publication on the world-wide web or elsewhere of AIS data transmitted by ships could be detrimental to the safety and security of ships and port facilities and was undermining the efforts of the Organization and its Member States to enhance the safety of navigation and security in the international maritime transport sector.

The Committee condemned the regrettable publication on the world-wide web, or elsewhere, of AIS data transmitted by ships and urged Member Governments, subject to the provisions of their national laws, to discourage those who make available AIS data to others for publication on the world-wide web, or elsewhere from doing so.

In addition, the Committee condemned those who irresponsibly publish AIS data transmitted by ships on the world-wide web, or elsewhere, particularly if they offer services to the shipping and port industries.

Old 30-11-2023, 04:06   #34

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
No, it’s you who doesn’t understand.

What’s AIS? It’s an MMSI, your position, your boat name, your heading, your speed, etc. it’s a collection of real time data that’s also available on your NMEA network.

AIS doesn’t have to be VHF based. At all.

AIS data, these days, should be TCP/IP based, not VHF based.

When ITU agrees, that could be possible. Until then... it is what it is...

-Chris
Old 30-11-2023, 04:53   #35

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair63 View Post
The IMO is clear in sharing AIS info:
Wow. That's quite a statement. I wonder a couple of things:
* That's a 20 year old statement. The world has grown massively less private in the intervening years. I wonder if that is still their opinion (even if they haven't formally rescinded it, they may have informally lost the passion).
* I wonder if their opinion mirrors the broader opinion. We, as pleasure boaters, find it very useful. Do merchant companies find it similarly useful (or do they use private trackers, SPOT or similar, to track all their ships?) Similarly, do port authorities use it to track vessels outside of their base station AIS range -- or again, do they use some sort of private tracker or network to track incoming vessels.
* Is it really a security issue? Yeah, it gives all that info to us lay folks, but do the bad guys have the info already? And has anyone actually used AIS trackers as a key facilitator to some nefarious act?

If it's still IMO's view, it's interesting indeed.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2023, 05:52   #36

is the official statement from IMO, and all related to navigation is based in this UN marine organization and national rules based in IMO.

it's a security matter, of course that buying an AIS receiver is ridiculously cheap and easy to install but you must do it.
bear in mind that piracy is growing everywhere, of course governments are not sharing the information to antipiracy agency.
and I had a case just three years ago, that XXXX authorities were pointing into me because I reported an assault in my ship in a XXXX port directly to anti-piracy agency in S-Pore, because that could lead to put XXXX in the insurance blacklist. (one big country in Indian Ocean)

of course, any development will be welcomed in this matter but don't expect any support from official statements if not approved by IMO, and most probably that official agencies would fine you.

AIS was developed as part of the ISPS (code of the governments cowardice) to blame all security breaches into mariners themselves and them get rid of responsibility. it was the code issued and approved in a record time not bigger than two years, AFAIK.
the job was done at the same time and included in SOLAS but in first instance as a security matter, not a safety matter in that time, we're talking of 2002/2003 just after 911 terrorist attack.

Old 30-11-2023, 07:26   #37

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

AIS is a very specific system; a set of technologies and protocols which are well defined by international standards.

While I agree there may be other technologies which could serve similar purposes, they wouldn't be AIS and, to my knowledge, they're not widely available today.

I do like the idea of starting with a clean slate and building a new system. Not only using newer technology, but maybe the security questions could be addressed, too. Although I don't really see how. Reducing a vessel's ability to be seen is sort of the opposite of what AIS was designed to do.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, internet