Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2015, 05:55   #1

iphone 5S GPS to OpenCPN

Hi all.

Firstly if this has been answered previous I apologize that I could not find it.

I have previously operated OpenCPN as follows;

OpenCPN v4.0.0
HW Virtual Serial Port 3.0
Windows 10
iPhone4
GPS2IP

Today I have been unable to get the GPS data from the GPS2IP into the Laptop.

I read the forum / Open CPN on utilising gpsd which I downloaded but it appears to be for Linux.

Have been at this for 8 hours now and would really appreciate some advice on how to get the GPS out of my phone and into the plotter.

Thanks in advance
SergieBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:06   #2

Boat: Amel Sharki
Re: iphone 5S GPS to OpenCPN

I don't know if GPS2IP works with Windows10. You should ask the programmers of GPS2IP. I have used this tool only between iPhone and MacBook.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:08   #3

The weird thing is it worked 3 months ago - before I changed iphones? Thanks for your help Gerhard
Old 09-11-2015, 07:28   #4
Marine Service Provider

Just checked the itunes page:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gps-...408625926?mt=8

since it is sending NMEA over GPSD it shoiud be straight forward in Opencpn. Just configure connections in Opencpn to use gpsd with the ip settings from the gps2ip app. If any trouble, check the link above for posible issues. This seems to be a user or gps2ip issue, not opencpn.
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by petter5 View Post
Just checked the itunes page:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gps-...408625926?mt=8

since it is sending NMEA over GPSD it shoiud be straight forward in Opencpn. Just configure connections in Opencpn to use gpsd with the ip settings from the gps2ip app. If any trouble, check the link above for posible issues. This seems to be a user or gps2ip issue, not opencpn.
That is not correct and not true. As the name of this tool already say GPS2IP sends GPS data to an IP address or UDP. It may use gpsd when configuring gpsd to IP tcp://192.168.1.70:11123 but that is not needed.
It doesn't work however when the OpenCPN computer is configured to a network address which cannot reach the iPhone.

Regard and follow the usage instructions at CapsicumDreams | iPhone apps - GPS 2 IP: Turn your iPhone into an NMEA gps receiver

Gerhard
Old 09-11-2015, 08:26   #6

Thanks Petter and CarCode,

I downloaded two versions of gpsd today - neither of which contained an exe nor installation file. Can you please confirm gpsd is for windows and if so how it is installed as I am not familiar.

Thank you
Old 09-11-2015, 08:34   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
That is not correct and not true. As the name of this tool already say GPS2IP sends GPS data to an IP address or UDP. It may use gpsd when configuring gpsd to IP tcp://192.168.1.70:11123 but that is not needed.
It doesn't work however when the OpenCPN computer is configured to a network address which cannot reach the iPhone.

Regard and follow the usage instructions at CapsicumDreams | iPhone apps - GPS 2 IP: Turn your iPhone into an NMEA gps receiver

Gerhard
Well,, not true and not correct is FALSE. You can configure it to work that way, as well as as you can use ip or udp. The app seems to give you the possibility to choose several user scenarios depending on your preferences. And of course, it will not work if it is wrongly configured,,,but in my suggestion for configuring, I supposed that the reader had basic network knowledge.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:42   #8

Yes, it is FALSE what petter wrote. gpsd is NOT needed and should be avoided. Configure your Windows network so it can reach the iPhone, read the instructions at CapsicumDreams | iPhone apps - GPS 2 IP: Turn your iPhone into an NMEA gps receiver and it will work.

Gerhard
Old 09-11-2015, 08:46   #9

Thanks Gerhard. I may be looking at the wrong area of the page you linked but this is what it says;

'Using OpenCPN with GPS 2 IP
OpenCPN can read from gpsd, so using it with GPS 2 IP is easy:

1. Start GPS 2 IP
2. Start gpsd with the correct address (as above): gpsd tcp://192.168.1.70:11123
3. Set OpenCPN to Network GPSD for the NMEA Data Source setting
4. Set the GPS Data Source IP Address to whatever address gpsd is running on (probably your local computer IP)

This was why I was heading down the gpsd road - can you provide the heading for the alternate method you are recommending a I think it will be easier.

Thanks again
Old 09-11-2015, 09:10   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Yes, it is FALSE what petter wrote. gpsd is NOT needed and should be avoided. Configure your Windows network so it can reach the iPhone, read the instructions at CapsicumDreams | iPhone apps - GPS 2 IP: Turn your iPhone into an NMEA gps receiver and it will work.

Gerhard
Well :-) I has suggested one easy way to configure this to work that is straight forward and this will for sure work .

I can see that there is several ways to do this and depending on your skills and requirements, they will all work, your AND mine way,,

But your strong opinion of not using GPSD, can you give me your technical background for this opinion ?

Reason for asking is that my personal preferences is to use GPSD if available since I newer has encountered any technical problems with it and it is easy to configure.
Remember, the iphone is from the perspective of GPSD a nix device and native to GPSD, but if your background is the windows world where such excellent network utilities is not present, I can understand your opinion.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:34   #11

Quote:
But your strong opinion of not using GPSD, can you give me your technical background for this opinion ?
The gpsd people has never had any goal to support Windows.
Read their homepage: GPSd — Put your GPS on the net!

Gerhard
Old 09-11-2015, 09:37   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergieBoi View Post
Thanks Gerhard. I may be looking at the wrong area of the page you linked but this is what it says;

'Using OpenCPN with GPS 2 IP
OpenCPN can read from gpsd, so using it with GPS 2 IP is easy:

1. Start GPS 2 IP
2. Start gpsd with the correct address (as above): gpsd tcp://192.168.1.70:11123
3. Set OpenCPN to Network GPSD for the NMEA Data Source setting
4. Set the GPS Data Source IP Address to whatever address gpsd is running on (probably your local computer IP)

This was why I was heading down the gpsd road - can you provide the heading for the alternate method you are recommending a I think it will be easier.

Thanks again
Using gpsd is correct with Linux or even Mac but not with Windows.
Simply use the IP address at point 2. above.

Gerhard
Old 09-11-2015, 10:09   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

Gerhard
Quote:
The gpsd people has never had any goal to support Windows.
Read their homepage: GPSd — Put your GPS on the net!

Gerhard
GPSD is a server protocol that run on NIX systems like linux, android and Iphone. GPSD works perfect for windows clients running opencpn.
GPSD can also be used as a GPSD server from a windows host by using GPSD for WIN https://code.google.com/archive/p/gpsd-4-win/ ( But this is now what Sergie Boi whants since he has an Iphone as GPSD server)
Old 09-11-2015, 12:16   #14

Quote:
GPSD is a server protocol that run on NIX systems like linux, android and Iphone. GPSD works perfect for windows clients running opencpn.
GPSD can also be used as a GPSD server from a windows host by using GPSD for WIN https://code.google.com/archive/p/gpsd-4-win/ ( But this is now what Sergie Boi whants since he has an Iphone as GPSD server)
Obviously you don't want to understand. The iPhone is in no way a gpsd server. The tool GPS2IP has nothing to do with gpsd and the iPhone is in no way a "NIX" system. Please don't spread such wrong things...

Gerhard
Old 09-11-2015, 12:43   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Obviously you don't want to understand. The iPhone is in no way a gpsd server. The tool GPS2IP has nothing to do with gpsd and the iPhone is in no way a "NIX" system. Please don't spread such wrong things...

Gerhard
Gerhard: Since I use a Android phone and not a Iphone, I must admit that I has not tested, but from the CapsicumDreams web page:
The iPhone becomes a GPS server, and to get the information, you just connect to your iPhone.
Methods for connection include gpsd, telnet, netcat, iTerm, or many other terminal programs
CapsicumDreams | iPhone apps - GPS 2 IP: Turn your iPhone into an NMEA gps receiver

And:
gpsd can easily be configured to read straight from GPS 2 IP. Software like OpenCPN can read from gspd, and can easily be used with GPS 2 IP. The details are below.

The above might well be misleading, but is statements from the developers web page.

So If the GPS to IP app is not capable of connecting an GPSD client, their web page is in best case confusing and misleading.

Anyone out there with an Iphone and a windows pc + basic network knowledge that can test to confirm if it is possible or not ??

Tags
enc, gps, iphone, opencpn, phone