Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2016, 13:55   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
Is there a preferred Linux Distribution?

I am ordering a DRS® Armor X7 7" Tablet from eBay, with the intention of installing Linux / OpenCPN on it. Are certain distros better than others? For example would Navigatrix be best (I see only an August 2015 version, which pre-dates the latest release from Feb 2016), or should I go with Debian, Centos, or even Slackware?

Download OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Do certain distributions play nicer with building OpenCPN from source? I am willing to do a full compile from source so I could apply patches ASAP.

Or are PPAs really the best way to go about this?
carlspackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 14:16   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Is there a preferred Linux Distribution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlspackler View Post
I am ordering a DRS® Armor X7 7" Tablet from eBay, with the intention of installing Linux / OpenCPN on it. Are certain distros better than others? For example would Navigatrix be best (I see only an August 2015 version, which pre-dates the latest release from Feb 2016), or should I go with Debian, Centos, or even Slackware?

Download OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Do certain distributions play nicer with building OpenCPN from source? I am willing to do a full compile from source so I could apply patches ASAP.

Or are PPAs really the best way to go about this?
I have good experience with Ubuntu - and since I like it light and clean that means Xunbuntu. For most users PPAs is the way to go for "production systems" What is your main goal with the tablet ? navigation, or "for all use" ? this also is factors in choosing distribution.
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 14:59   #3

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by petter5 View Post
I have good experience with Ubuntu - and since I like it light and clean that means Xunbuntu. For most users PPAs is the way to go for "production systems" What is your main goal with the tablet ? navigation, or "for all use" ? this also is factors in choosing distribution.
I hope to use the Armor tablet purely for navigation (not that I travel far). I'll find out soon enough if I can get the touch screen working.
carlspackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 16:06   #4

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

If navigation is all you're after, Navigatrix will do just fine.

After decades of running Redhat/Fedora, I had to give up on F23. I'm now running Kubuntu on one (multipurpose) machine and Navigatrix on the other.

Cheers,
Old 21-03-2016, 15:57   #5

Boat: Gemini 3200

I'm another user who has had good results with Ubuntu and updates via PPAs. It makes the update process automatic and painless.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux, rib