Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2023, 09:58   #31

Boat: Jeanneau - Merry Fisher 925
Re: Just updated - watchdog STILL not receiving depth data

hi Sanner,

for me using: WD 2.4.103.0

with the format in your last message, they're working, O 5.9.0-0+948.1ffe2ef windows 11.
and before this version 103 were not working

Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave
Corsair63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2023, 10:04   #32

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

As said earlier, checksum is needed. It must pass that test.
No way around it unless you can use nmeaconverter_pi and calculate the proper checksum and add it.

Later: I guess sanner's data is OK.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2023, 10:10   #33

Boat: Catalina 34

Hi Corsair,

Interesting - so WD is working with a NMEA 3.0 compliant DPT sentence.

I'm running my latest OC build (git/master) w/ plugin API 118. WD 2.4.1.103.0 as well. This is on latest patched linux/bookworm. Different dynamic link opencpn-libs?

I've tried with several versions/formats of DPT - current one is NMEA 0183 3.0 compliant eg.
$IIDPT,3.0,0.4,*6B
Coming directly from SK tcp/10110 - check the OC nmea debug windows, reading correctly but still no depth w/ WD. I'll keep trying.
sanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2023, 10:37   #34

PR made to PIM catalog now for WD 2.4.103
Old 27-12-2023, 11:20   #35

Rick,

Just updated /w your version 2.4.103 (via options -> plugin catalog)
That did the trick! Working! Thanks

I tested and works w/ both DPT formatting
$IIDPT,3.0,0.4,0.0*45
$IIDPT,3.0,0.4*47 (pre 0183 NMEA 3.0)

btw, I see this same issue with "Dashboard Tactics" (and original Tactics) so this could be the problem there as well. However it's hard for me to test because if I run "Dashboard Tactics" at the same time as std "Dashboard" they seem to collide/corrupt the layout. I can run the original Tactics & std Dashboard at the same time. Am I missing something here?

Thanks everyone.
Old 27-12-2023, 12:44   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanner View Post
Rick,
Just updated /w your version 2.4.103 (via options -> plugin catalog)
That did the trick! Working! Thanks

I tested and works w/ both DPT formatting
$IIDPT,3.0,0.4,0.0*45
$IIDPT,3.0,0.4*47 (pre 0183 NMEA 3.0)

btw, I see this same issue with "Dashboard Tactics" (and original Tactics) so this could be the problem there as well. However it's hard for me to test because if I run "Dashboard Tactics" at the same time as std "Dashboard" they seem to collide/corrupt the layout. I can run the original Tactics & std Dashboard at the same time. Am I missing something here?
Thanks everyone.
Thanks Sanner for testing. Very much appreciated and your prompt responses.
That's great that it works w/ both DPT formats

Would you mind testing the most recent versions of
Dashboard_tactics 1.7.61 and tactics 1.0.81 just merged into PIM catalog?
They too have had opencpn-libs updated as Pavel suggested and hopefully will work.
Thanks to Pavel and Sanner and Corsair.

Please continue testing these plugins and let us know of any issues. (BTW, we know that tactics and dashboard_tactics need some work on the interface and text sizing.
Old 27-12-2023, 17:20   #37

Happy to help...

I tested Dashboard_tactics and tactics and they both looks good!
Thanks for the quick updates. I'll do some more testing to see if I find any other issues.

Re: running std Dashboard with Dashboard_tactics together corrupts the config of each other but std Dashboard w/ old Tactics doesn't. Maybe that's a clue?

The latest std Dashboard has some support for customizing each instrument though requires some manual editing of the conf file to get colors right & other issues like colors off a bit in night mode.
The fast update rate (w/ n2k or SignalK input) using std Dashboard is really nice, especially for the True/Apparent Wind instrument but it lacks all the other instruments & features (including data correction based on heel) that Tactics has (which is why I mix).

One last thing about Dashboard_tactics and std Dashboard - both will dock right but neither seem to dock to the left side of the display. I was able to get them to dock left by editing the config (dir=4 ?).
Old 27-12-2023, 17:36   #38

Quote:
Looks like watchdog is using 1.16 API
That has nothing to do with this particular problem. This merely defines what OpenCPN Plugin API's are used by a plugin.

The lack of support for NMEA 183 DPT sentences in a plugin indicates that the original NMEA 183 libraries that the plugin used, omitted support for the DPT sentence. These libraries have now been updated and are packaged as a git sub-module, however not all plugins have been updated to use the updated library nor to use git sub-modules as part of their build process.
stevead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2023, 17:44   #39

Re: running std Dashboard with Dashboard_tactics together corrupts the config of each other but std Dashboard w/ old Tactics doesn't. Maybe that's a clue?

Dashboard-tactics is essentially "old" code, but tested and updated Dashboard instruments, with Tactics instruments. When this work was done there was extensive testing and corrections made, so the instruments should be right (if we haven't changed the nmea0183 files too much). You must not run Dashboard-Tactics and Dashboard at the same time!!! They conflict with each other.

Tactics has all the same updates and improvements as Dashboard-tactics. It is just standalone. It can be run concurrently with Dashboard because they are different instruments.

Dashboard has recently been enhanced and improved by Hakan in a separate effort, hopefully some of these improvements will make their way into Tactics and Dashboard-Tactics.

What we really need is a more modern, improved and flexible user defined Dashboard that has all these instruments available, and can use nmea0183 or SignalK.
Old 27-12-2023, 17:46   #40

Thanks, this has been fixed. Why the DPT sentences were not included is what I wonder about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevead View Post
That has nothing to do with this particular problem. This merely defines what OpenCPN Plugin API's are used by a plugin.

The lack of support for NMEA 183 DPT sentences in a plugin indicates that the original NMEA 183 libraries that the plugin used, omitted support for the DPT sentence. These libraries have now been updated and are packaged as a git sub-module, however not all plugins have been updated to use the updated library nor to use git sub-modules as part of their build process.
Old 28-12-2023, 01:10   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Dashboard-tactics is essentially "old" code, but tested and updated Dashboard instruments, with Tactics instruments. When this work was done there was extensive testing and corrections made, so the instruments should be right (if we haven't changed the nmea0183 files too much). You must not run Dashboard-Tactics and Dashboard at the same time!!! They conflict with each other.

Tactics has all the same updates and improvements as Dashboard-tactics. It is just standalone. It can be run concurrently with Dashboard because they are different instruments.

Dashboard has recently been enhanced and improved by Hakan in a separate effort, hopefully some of these improvements will make their way into Tactics and Dashboard-Tactics.

What we really need is a more modern, improved and flexible user defined Dashboard that has all these instruments available, and can use nmea0183 or SignalK.

Rick, thanks for explaining that though I'm not sure I understand the current state of Dashboard-tactics. From reading this https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/plugins/...rdtactics.html it looks like DT already has SK & N2K inputs but I'm only seeing 0183 NMEA working. The std Dashboard seems to use SignalK and N2K as inputs which makes for some smooth wind instruments but of course lack the many features and instruments of DT.
Thanks.
Old 28-12-2023, 02:18   #42

Quote:
it looks like DT already has SK & N2K inputs but I'm only seeing 0183 NMEA working. The std Dashboard seems to use SignalK and N2K as inputs which makes for some smooth wind instruments but of course lack the many features and instruments of DT.
From the Dashboard Tactics web site:
Quote:
input connection with Signal K node server enables NMEA-2000 and other new data sources.
This means that the only way to get data from a NMEA 2000 network into Dashboard Tactics is via SignalK.

Unlike the built-in Dashboard which has support for NMEA 0183, NMEA 2000 and SignalK, Dashboard Tactics only has support for NMEA 0183 and SignalK.
stevead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2023, 04:38   #43

Thanks Steve for clarifying.

We have a wealth of Dashboard/Tactics plugins, but need to bring those Tactics instruments and the own ship overlay features up to the level of the current Dashboard somehow, without messing the instruments up. I haven't figured out how to do that.

Openplotter's manual shows various Dashboards and tools like Kip, Sailgauge, Node Red Dashboard, grafana and influxdb. I understand that Dashboard_tactics may support some of this, but it would not be accessible to the beginning user who is not using node-red, signalk, rpi etc.

What I notice about the Openplotter list of Dashboards, some of which are nicely configured, is that there is no racing instrumentation, although perhaps it could be programmed because it is so flexible (not an easy task for most users).

Tags
depth