Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2021, 11:57   #1081

Re: Logbook Konni for OpenCPN

I think the confusion arises because there are two data directories. The first has the icons for the program. The second has the saved logbook data.

I will take a look tomorrow but I think StandardPath() is the problem.

Mike
Rasbats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 05:44   #1082

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

There is a new version 1.4.14.1 not distributed yet because it is having issues in ubuntu and flatpak, with an error found in opencpn.log See
https://github.com/rgleason/LogbookKonni_pi/issues/26

Schnapsy & Scarns, very sorry about the problems.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 09:51   #1083

Boat: ETAP 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Schnapsy & Scarns, very sorry about the problems.
Rick,
It does not matter.
Only those who do nothing are never wrong.

For now, I'm keeping my old logbook and testing this new one on a PC that won't fit on the boat.
Unlike the version which is on the Plugin Manager and which should be removed, version 1.4.14.1 saves data, but not in the correct paths.
I redid the same manipulation as that described previously #1079 (clean everything to put myself in the position of a first installation).

After installing this version 1.4.14.1, a Logbookkonni_pi folder is created in C: \ Program Files (x86) \ OpenCPN \ plugins \ logbookkonni_pi \ data, where we find Layouts.zip, help and icons.

A logbook folder has also been created in C: \ ProgramData \ opencpn \ plugins \ logbook \ data, with sub-folders (examples) of layouts and txt files (instruments, boat, crew, etc.)
When we write in the logbbok, the data entered in the "boat", maintenance "," crew ", etc. tabs are saved in these files.
But, on the other hand, we cannot export these data because the writing is refused as it wants to be done in C: \ Program Files (x86) \ OpenCPN \ plugins \ logbookkonni_pi \ data

No Logbook folder has been created in C: \ Users \ alain \ AppData \ Local \ opencpn \ plugins

Also, the digits after the decimal point only appear in the US version (as already indicated).

Sorry not to help more.
Schnapsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 12:07   #1084

Boat: Amel Sharki

Sadly the developer of Logbook Konni is not available anymore and other people doesn't know how it should work. So it is best to keep the oldest working version and forget about updates.
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 22:31   #1085

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
Sadly the developer of Logbook Konni is not available anymore and other people doesn't know how it should work. So it is best to keep the oldest working version and forget about updates.
(@CarCode : I think many users and also you know how it should work but from your many advises I suspect you could be skilled enough to contribute and make this logbook pi perfect. This would impress and help us all and I would then vote for renaming it to CarCode Logbook pi. Come on - do it!
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 23:59   #1086

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperearly View Post
(@CarCode : I think many users and also you know how it should work but from your many advises I suspect you could be skilled enough to contribute and make this logbook pi perfect. This would impress and help us all and I would then vote for renaming it to CarCode Logbook pi. Come on - do it!
The truth is I have worked with Konni together 8 years ago. He was working with Windows and I tried to run it with macOS. We both have been angry about the old wxWidgets which does not support macOS at those times very well. Konni has even tried to rebuild all the OpenCPN stuff with Qt instead of wxWidgets. But it was too much work to switch all the code from wxWidgets to Qt libraries.
Later when Konni got ill and my contacts to him got broken. The main developers of OpenCPN are taken ways with compiler tools we do not follow. I use e.g. not the tools from the Linux world but the Apple tools like Xcode and I do not implement several of the later code changes like e.g. the new plugin manager and other things.
That said my own version of OpenCPN and its plugins are quite different now from the official origin versions. It runs very well with macOS and uses some functions optimised for macOS like the genuine Apple help system. Therefore I am unable to help anything for the official origin code. I have made for some people with Mac Core2Duo machines a special version because the actual official OpenCPN does not work. But that is all I am able to do.
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 02:55   #1087

Boat: ETAP 30i

@Mike,
@Rick,

I think you shouldn't complicate your life ...
The previous version works pretty well.

It is true that we have to install the layout.zip yourself, but it must be done only once, and it is therefore sufficient to explain it in the manual.

Then, concerning the data backup, whether this data is saved on "Program Data\..." (where there are already other plugins) or on "Users /.../ AppData" is not really a problem if this is clearly explained too.

I'm going to preach for my ward.
I use the Logbook extensively and have managed to make a few small adjustments.
But what bothers me the most is the lack of decimal units for all languages ​​except US (in display AND addition and subtaraction calculations for fuel and water in particular).
To solve this problem, I have to put OpenCPN in US version.

Concerning me, the most urgent thing would be to solve this specific problem.
I would like to help for this, but it would be necessary to indicate to me how to do it (or a link which explains how to upgrade wxwidgets).
Schnapsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 16:37   #1088

Carcode, this is a big service and probably much appreciated by a specific group of users. Thank you. I did not know you had worked with Konni, he was a quite prolific programmer, and looking at the many lines of code in Logbook, I realized that he had poured his time and skills into that effort. We need to update this plugin in meaningful ways. Thanks for sharing that history about Konni.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
The truth is I have worked with Konni together 8 years ago. He was working with Windows and I tried to run it with macOS. We both have been angry about the old wxWidgets which does not support macOS at those times very well. Konni has even tried to rebuild all the OpenCPN stuff with Qt instead of wxWidgets. But it was too much work to switch all the code from wxWidgets to Qt libraries.
Later when Konni got ill and my contacts to him got broken. The main developers of OpenCPN are taken ways with compiler tools we do not follow. I use e.g. not the tools from the Linux world but the Apple tools like Xcode and I do not implement several of the later code changes like e.g. the new plugin manager and other things.
That said my own version of OpenCPN and its plugins are quite different now from the official origin versions. It runs very well with macOS and uses some functions optimised for macOS like the genuine Apple help system. Therefore I am unable to help anything for the official origin code. I have made for some people with Mac Core2Duo machines a special version because the actual official OpenCPN does not work. But that is all I am able to do.
Old 16-05-2021, 16:42   #1089

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnapsy View Post
@Mike,
@Rick,

I think you shouldn't complicate your life ...
The previous version works pretty well.

It is true that we have to install the layout.zip yourself, but it must be done only once, and it is therefore sufficient to explain it in the manual.

Then, concerning the data backup, whether this data is saved on "Program Data\..." (where there are already other plugins) or on "Users /.../ AppData" is not really a problem if this is clearly explained too.

I'm going to preach for my ward.
I use the Logbook extensively and have managed to make a few small adjustments.
But what bothers me the most is the lack of decimal units for all languages ​​except US (in display AND addition and subtaraction calculations for fuel and water in particular).
To solve this problem, I have to put OpenCPN in US version.

Concerning me, the most urgent thing would be to solve this specific problem.
I would like to help for this, but it would be necessary to indicate to me how to do it (or a link which explains how to upgrade wxwidgets).

Dear Schnapsy,
I am going to add this specific and important request to Logbook Issues and hope that we can address it soon. See https://github.com/rgleason/LogbookKonni_pi/issues/28
Old 18-05-2021, 02:48   #1090

BTW Schnapsy,

It does make a big difference where user writable data is stored, the %localappdata%/opencpn/plugins
for windows is not appropriate and does not work for user writable data.

This is a necessary change to the plugins the have user configuration and user writable data.
Old 25-05-2021, 11:04   #1091

Boat: Endeavour 42

Hi, I am using logbook 1.4.14.0 on openCpn 5.2.4, latest download on Windows 10.

I am having issues with some of the data for example I get Apparent Wind angle but not speed. I do not get True wind data. Other plug-ins like Dashboard get the data fine. I am thinking I need to map the data to a different NMEA sentence, and I am looking to make sure the data is available as needed by logbook. Is there a listing of the sentences logbook is looking for?

If I can find this, I think I can get all the data I would like into the logbook. I am very happy with it so far.
eemahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 14:46   #1092

Emmahoney
I have not used logbook extensively, but will try the nmea features at some point. Does anyone have some suggestions?
Old 02-06-2021, 08:42   #1093

Thank You.

I did some more reading and found a list of NMEA files that are included in the build. This list is pretty extensive, and after looking, I found the variables I wanted to use were not on the list.

It appears the root of my issue is that NMEA has obsoleted some sentences, and also my NMEA 2000 gateways do not translate the PGN's to the expected sentence.

Looks like I am going to have to p[lay with the Parser tools and the substitution tools and see what I can do. It also appears that some of the data is not the same as I would represent it, this appears to be personal preference, and if I want it changed I will have to dust of the coding books, it has been 25 years, I started with Assembler and COBOL, migrating to C and C++, but I had been in management for the past 20 years, and that seems to have dulled that section of the brain.

As an example of the personal preference, total engine hours is represented as the sum of engine run time in the logbook. I would have expected that it would have simply read the NMEA value for engine hours. I can see the reasoning behind the chosen method and I like it, but I do engine maintenance based on total hours and wanted to use the logbook for that.

I just need to play more, I can see great value in this.

Ed
Old 02-06-2021, 16:37   #1094

Eemahoney, you never should have admitted that.

Quote:
... and if I want it changed I will have to dust of the coding books, it has been 25 years, I started with Assembler and COBOL, migrating to C and C++, but I had been in management for the past 20 years, and that seems to have dulled that section of the brain

We need guys like you! Start dusting off! Seriously, if you can make a PR using github.com that works, we will review and accept it.

1. NMEA has obsoleted some sentences, and also my NMEA 2000 gateways do not translate the PGN's to the expected sentence.
  • Perhaps the nmea0183 lib needs some improvement?
2. As an example of the personal preference, total engine hours is represented as the sum of engine run time in the logbook. I would have expected that it would have simply read the NMEA value for engine hours.
  • Some may not have the total engine time as nmea. You could add another field or make it an option.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:24   #1095

I will have to try that, I admit, working the brain in this area feels good.

I have never used GitHub, but I am learning to get around, and will hopefully find the time to play with it. But sailing season is short, and I want to make the best of it.

I will let you know how it goes.

Tags
opencpn