Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2022, 02:31   #106

Re: Logbook Plug-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevead View Post
If the user requesting the addition of engine hours to the logbook plugin is also using the Engine Dashboard, I wonder whether it might be feasible for the Engine Dashboard to generate a "LOGBOOK_LOG_ADDLINE_REQUEST" plugin message containing the engine hours, which I assume the Logbook would then append to to its logfile?

The Engine Dashboard does parse the XDR Engine Hours sentence that the OP provided: $YDXDR,G,1831.40,,EngineHours#0*5B

I've no idea whether these messages need to be published periodically, or at shutdown, and if at shutdown, how one plugin can know whether another plugin is still running, or in what order plugins are closed.
Your post made me realize that as a first step I could import the engine hours into the engine dashboard. However it does not work for now, I can show the RPM, alternator voltage and engine temp, but not the hours. I need to further investigate why.
Velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2022, 03:21   #107

A bug (or lack of clarity in the specification).

The NMEA 0183 v4.11 standard states for the 'G' Generic transducer type:
Transducer Type: Generic G
Measurement Units: none (null)
Transducer Name: User defined
Units: User Defined x.x = variable data

I believed most of the other vendors (Shipmodul, Actisense, etc.) used Engine#n as the transducer name) whereas from your sample sentence it seems as though Yacht Devices use EngineHours#n.

I could contemplate adding this additional name to the next release if that helps.

However still need clarity re adding the engine hours to the logbook.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2022, 05:37   #108

I went through the docs, the sentence $YDXDR,G,1831.40,,EngineHours#0*5D should be directly swallowed by the engine dashboard and the hours should be displayed along with the RPM. I get the RPM, but not the hours. Trying to figure what goes wrong and how to fix ...?! Can you please help again ?
Old 19-05-2022, 05:40   #109

I had not seen your previous answer, my apologies. Yes adding "EngineHours" would be very nice for me, when you have time.
Old 28-05-2022, 02:08   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I had not seen your previous answer, my apologies. Yes adding "EngineHours" would be very nice for me, when you have time.
Hi Stevead, I could reconfigure my YD interface so it sends "Engine" instead of "EngineHours". The engine dashboard is working fine now. Thanks for the help, pls let me know of any ideas regarding the the link engine dashboard -> logbook.
Best, Michel.
Old 28-05-2022, 05:20   #111

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Hi Stevead, I could reconfigure my YD interface so it sends "Engine" instead of "EngineHours". The engine dashboard is working fine now. Thanks for the help, pls let me know of any ideas regarding the the link engine dashboard -> logbook.
Best, Michel.

I will accept Pull Requests to enhance Logbook with this value.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 09:55   #112

Hi, Is there any formal process for enhancement requests on the LogBook ? I have a few which I would like to humbly submit. Below a list that I would be happy to detail :
1. Bug (?) True wind set to “Compass” but returns automatically to “default” between sessions
2. Bug (?) Water temp shows sometimes the right value and sometimes the engine temp (while engine is running)
3. Bug (?) Wrong dates sometimes displayed (confusion on dates format ?)
4. Enhancement - Link Engine dashboard to Logbook for Engine hours
5. Enhancement - Wake up logbook upon engine startups and set "Engine On" automatically
6. Enable calibration of sounder and loch, so the displayed value can be modified from the ones transported by the network (by a constant)
Old 04-06-2022, 09:55   #113

Hi, Is there any formal process for enhancement requests on the LogBook ? I have a few which I would like to humbly submit. Below a list that I would be happy to detail :
1. Bug (?) True wind set to “Compass” but returns automatically to “default” between sessions
2. Bug (?) Water temp shows sometimes the right value and sometimes the engine temp (while engine is running)
5. Enhancement - Wake up logbook upon engine startups and set "Engine On" automatically
6. Enable calibration of sounder and loch, so the displayed value can be modified from the ones transported by the network (by a constant)
Old 04-06-2022, 11:21   #114

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:

Please report bugs to Github Issues, here

you will need to have a free opensource gitub account.

Otherwise report bugs and enhancements (RFE - requests for enhancement) in tracker, found by going to the opencpn.org website https://opencpn.org/ and picking Tracker from the top menu. You need to register first.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote