Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2021, 20:32   #1

Boat: Beneteau 393, 39 feet
Loss of GPS signal to OpenCPN

Hi. I recently purchased a Samsung tablet and installed OpenCPN. I was previously using OpenCPN on my old ASUS laptop. I opened up Connections in Options and added my GPS antenna to Com3. It worked perfectly for a week or so, then suddenly stopped working. Although the GPS antenna still worked on my ASUS, I purchased a new one (Ublox 7). It won't work either on the Samsung but it also works just fine on my old ASUS. All indications are that it should be working but it is not. I selected "Show NMEA Debug Window" but it is not showing a data stream. Again, when I select the debug window on my ASUS it shows an active data stream. I'm stumped. I'm leaving on November 5th from Kemah, TX to St. Petersburg in a Beneteau 393 and I'd sure like to have the Samsung up and running prior to departure so I'll have a good chartplotter backup. Help!

Larry
LarryS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 20:42   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Loss of GPS signal to OpenCPN

Why not use the Samsung internal GPS?

My Samsung tablets' internal gps works great with Opencpn.
sv_pelagia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 20:56   #3

Boat: Beneteau 393, 39 feet
Re: Loss of GPS signal to OpenCPN

Thanks! I'll look into that. I wonder if my problem might be a conflict between the internal GPS antenna and the external one I'm trying to use. Only concern is that my computer is normally in the cabin rather than in the cockpit and I wonder if I'll be able to receive a strong enough GPS signal.
LarryS1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, gps, opencpn