Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2021, 20:54   #1

Boat: CHB Tri-Cab 35ft
lost Simrad Halo radar....how to verify?

Hi.
When I first added the PI plugin and installed a new Halo radar, it just "worked" and I didn't have to do any troubleshooting. However, it has stopped working and I don't know how to troubleshoot it.

Oh yes, Win 10 on a HP Sceptre laptop, Open v5.2.4

I did reinstall the plugin, but it said it did it from a cache.

The Radar box shows up on the screen and...again....asks which type of radar...the checked box shows as Halo A. But, it does not SHOW the box where you can check START TRANSMITTING. And, can't see any radar image.

I have 3 Com ports with incoming data lines, and those show up in Device Manager as working, plus I get GPS, and Depth and the correct chart. While reluctant to mention here, I have also lost AIS, but assume totally different information.

Seems possible that if the Radar itself is not in standby mode, perhaps then not recognized by OpenCPN plugin? But, the radar is essentially hardwired and wires don't seem damaged. However, I can't seem to find any external LED light on the scanner itself...though it is up on the mast.

How can I "look" for the Radar ethernet signal? Device? Com port? Ethernet??

Should I delete the plugin and then reinstall?

Thanks,

Armand
armand.seguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2021, 17:03   #2

Re: lost Simrad Halo radar....how to verify?

Hi,
Update..I have determined that the scanner is indeed getting power. While it was powered but not connected to the laptop, a status light showed No ethernet. When I connected the laptop it now blinks slowly...as in all is well.

I had deleted Radar Pi and I just reinstalled via the Win setup. It shows up fine in the plugin app, boxes checked. But, when I click on the Radar icon to get the control on the screen, nothing, though it did flash on the screen once with the box to select the radar...it was still checked. The icon changes from bright to a shaded view, but I can't find any Simrad/Navico panel on the screen to turn the radar on. Before I had deleted the Radar PI plugin, at least some boxes showed up...but not the one to Transmit.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Armand
Old 27-08-2021, 11:58   #3

Boat: Najad 34

Armand..
Try clicks on the radar_pi icon or right click and select "Control Halo A" if present. Compare my shot with "Control Emulator".

But to get a working radar you need a position and a heading. Try to first solve your other post with the lost COM port. Trust Nohal and maybe restart the PC to clean from other programs and start only OCPN at next start.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	control radar.png
Views:	38
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	244317  
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 22:57   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Armand..
Try clicks on the radar_pi icon or right click and select "Control Halo A" if present. Compare my shot with "Control Emulator".

But to get a working radar you need a position and a heading. Try to first solve your other post with the lost COM port. Trust Nohal and maybe restart the PC to clean from other programs and start only OCPN at next start.
Hakan,

I have changed settings on the Com ports and again have AIS and consistently strong GPS signal. However, the Radar is mostly missing. I did check if it was firewalled and it is Not. I cannot get the Radar settings window to come up consistently, and only once saw the screen to tell the scanner start transmitting. But, my mast is down as I'm under a roof, and this time I did not see any "odd" reddish glow someplace on the chart. I also tried increasing the gain. I understand that since the scanner is nearly vertical, I would not get a proper overlay onto the chart. Since I could not even get the screen to turn on the transmitter, I did not try to leave my slip and raise the mast. But, I will do that shortly.

I have perused all the radar issues that I have found, and to the developer's credits, there seems to be few problems. And, after I installed the Radar plugin, mine worked perfectly for months....until it didn't.

My info box does not list "control emulator," though the other options are present. The Radar is an ethernet signal and I don't know how to verify that. I have looked for that in the manual.

Thanks for all your help.

Armand
Old 30-08-2021, 22:51   #5

Hello friends,

I have my Halo radar back. My best guess is that the USB A connector on the hub was/is bad. Crossing fingers.

While the plug to the scanner showed an ethernet connection (slowly blinking light on..difficult to spot...Scanner verified this) the rest of the signal didn't get to OpenCPN. I still have not learned a way to "check" in O or in "device manager." I did learn that without a solid connection, the window(s) to start/control the scanner don't come up. I sprayed contact cleaner on all the male and female connections and it suddenly worked. I carry a new 4 port hub and also ordered 2 additional. I will put new one and deep six (figuratively) the old one.

I had added anti-corrosion to all the connections, but apparently this did not do it. While I don't leave the laptop at the boat, I do leave the hub, and the data lines If anybody has a better way to minimize the electrical sea gremlins I'd like to know.

I did have an issue with AIS and it turned out that the port assignments in Connections did not line up with the "mysteriously changed" ports and signals. Have absolutely no idea how this could have happened, but when I "started again" and reconfigured port settings I get GPS and AIS on the same port.

I had searched for "radar troubleshooting" and other terms, but found little to fit my situation. I did see that almost 300 good people saw the post, but only 2 responded. For most users, you plug in the ethernet and have a tick or two set and the Radar PI plugin is just awesome.

Regards,

Armand

Tags
lost, radar, simrad