Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2017, 01:49   #1

Low fps when building in Visual Studio

When I build OpenCPN myself in Visual Studio (2013) in Release I get very low fps (Open GL enabled). I only get <20 fps but mostly 1-5fps. If it were in Debug build I'd get it but not in Release. When I run the installed version I get 100-200fps without problem on the same computer.

Any clue what might cause the problem? Is there any options I should turn on in my own build like logging that's going on or something?

Thanks in advance.
b.lindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 04:25   #2

Boat: Amel Sharki
Re: Low fps when building in Visual Studio

As an example regard this thread:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13941293

13% of CPU power is used in this example only for a blinking cursor. The devil in this example was Chromium which was used by the Electron framework which is used by the source code editor of Microsoft Visual Studio Code.

The chain of used dependencies in OpenCPN is even larger and so it is difficult to determine where is the bottle neck...

Gerhard
CarCode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 04:48   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
As an example regard this thread:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13941293

13% of CPU power is used in this example only for a blinking cursor. The devil in this example was Chromium which was used by the Electron framework which is used by the source code editor of Microsoft Visual Studio Code.

The chain of used dependencies in OpenCPN is even larger and so it is difficult to determine where is the bottle neck...

Gerhard
Of course there are many factors which might be the root of the problem but what I'm asking if there's some logging done or something else that's on by default and common to bite you when building OpenCPN out of the box.
Old 26-03-2017, 05:11   #4

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.lindahl View Post
Of course there are many factors which might be the root of the problem but what I'm asking if there's some logging done or something else that's on by default and common to bite you when building OpenCPN out of the box.
I have only my personal thumb rules: I never use Windows or any Microsoft software...

Gerhard
CarCode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 05:22   #5

Wow, thanks for the really helpful advice...
Old 28-03-2017, 05:12   #6

I noticed that prebuilt Windows version 4.6.0 also suffer from low fps (<10 fps) Switching back to 4.4.0 show about 200fps. So something was introduced between 4.4.0 and 4.6.0 which probably would be the cause for low fps when building with VS as well.

Could someone else running Windows as well as building it for VS verify it's a common issue?
Old 28-03-2017, 05:15   #7

Forget about my last post. (I can't see any way to remove a post?)

I saw in the 4.6.0 release thread that numerous others reporting some OpenGL issues well with last release...