Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2020, 18:52   #1

Low Power Icon on My Pi

I’m a new Open CPN and Pi user just starting to install my equipment in the boat. I’ve been playing with it in the house and had everything working pretty well when plugged in the house voltage. Now that I have everything installed in the boat, using one of the recommended power converters, I’m seeing the low power lightning bolt when I power up.

Here’s my stuff:

Rasp Pi 3
Official 7” screen
Powered USB HUB
12v to 5v converter (see pic)

I took the output of the 12v to 5v converter and ran it to a splitter with one side going to the PI and the other going to the powered USB hub. The lightning bolt is not on constantly, it’s intermittent. Other than the low power icon, everything is working, but I have not had a chance to run it for a long period of time yet.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200229_143806568.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	322.9 KB
ID:	210177  
jjccp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 03:43   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO 32I
Re: Low Power Icon on My Pi

It all depends on how you have implemented the connections to split the wiring. The Pi is very sensitive to voltage losses due to weak connections or too thin cables. Especially when working in burst mode.

Also, it doesn't make much sense to power the separate hub using the same source. The right thing to do is to use one converter device for the Pi and a second identical converter device for the HUB. Otherwise the supposed advantage is minimal as we would still only have 3 Amps for the whole.

By using two converters you will have 3+3 Amps which does represent a noticeable improvement.
pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 03:59   #3

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Yep, 3A aint enough. I use a 5A supply for a similar setup with a rPI, USB powered hub and a few RS422 adaptors and it's happy as. Avoid the leads with teeny wires too. They're designed to charge phones.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:51   #4

Boat: Valiant 42

What others said. Get a better cable too. You can’t really power a Pi from a USB hub. It needs a dedicated 3A 5V supply with extra heavy USB wire and keep it as short as possible. Less than 10cm is a good rule of thumb.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:03   #5

Thanks for the quick replies. I will get another power source and redo it. The output of the pictured converter is a micro USB. Any suggestions on how to use bigger wires? Should I cut off the micro connector and solder bigger wire on to it?
Old 07-03-2020, 09:36   #6

Boat: Valiant 42

The official RPi 2.5A power supplies have the right wire. No, don’t cut and solder the wires.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:56   #7

I have used that same 3 Amp adapter for years with an Rpi3 and lately with an Rpi4 -using a Micro-usb to USB-C adapter- without problems. Its micro-usb connector is just right. Don't even think about cutting it to change the wires. You'll probably ruin it.

YOUR problem is that you want to draw too much power from where there isn't that much. Just use another extra adapter to power the USB HUB so you have enough power.

Test it using only the Rpi with the power supply and use it without connecting the hub. If you don't see the power icon anymore you need a second adapter for the hub. If it continues to appear you may need a more powerful 5 to 10 Amp converter to avoid problems. Check it out first.
Old 07-03-2020, 14:42   #8

Thanks again to all for the great info. I have ordered another unit and will redo it.
Old 07-03-2020, 15:07   #9

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

The bigger units have bare wires on the output. Grab these and wire to it and plug the cables supplied with the Pi and hub into them directly...
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 17:37   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
The bigger units have bare wires on the output. Grab these and wire to it and plug the cables supplied with the Pi and hub into them directly...
I understand my assignment. Thanks for the excellent ideas.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:57   #11

I got a new/different power converter and installed it. Also used the wire terminal to usb adapter suggested by Reefmagnet. Everything is installed and working good now. Here's a pic of the new unit. Thanks again for all the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200309_161349086.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	210464  
Old 11-03-2020, 11:26   #12

It's exactly the same one I have, and it works great. I'm very happy with it.

Also Your installation looks very well done. Congratulations.
Old 11-03-2020, 12:21   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguino View Post
It's exactly the same one I have, and it works great. I'm very happy with it.

Also Your installation looks very well done. Congratulations.
Thank you pinquino. I still have plenty of other issues to learn about with the Pi, Open CPN and instruments. But it feels good the have the basics installed in the boat. Hope to launch in a month. I also have the pypilot to figure out later.

Tags
low power