Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2019, 04:46   #16

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Mac plug-ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSouthworth View Post
Per my PM Pavel,

Thanks Steve for the reply

Very short version from my experience....

Xcode needs to be 10.14.2 or later for compiling Dark Mode. Some dark mode stuff is finally sorted out in the framework in this latest update and it looks pretty good now...

Previous caused all sorts of stuff some crashing. I compile other stuff using qt and with that and the qt stuff sorted the code is rock stable and all the dark look.

To get the most compliant set up to dark mode the only way I could compile wxWidgets was to use ...

* ../configure --with-cxx=11 --with-macosx-version-min=10.14* --disable-debug --with-macosx-sdk=/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk 

anything else and you have the light and dark merging or it simply does not produce a complete compiler library

once you get wxWidgets compiled so it builds everything.

What Pavel has explained is exactly what I have found as far as trying to build things.

The master branch for the app is pretty good atm. I am certain that will change after you guys have a long overdue rest so that is of course a caviet.

if you need someone to locally compile things for official builds in this interim point Pavel from what I have experienced that needs to be on an Elcapitan machine with Xcode 8 or 9.4 (depending on the open source project) I don't have that resource.

Wonder Steve how you compiled wxWigets the config options.

I have received some links just now that hopefully will explain the missing pice of my present puzzle.

Once I get clear of dealing with some personal stuff hopefully I will get it sorted and I will pass it on.

Ron
Please, try to follow the build instructions.
That is the only way forward shall we not have to deal with incompatible binary products confusing users.
My own machine is latest Mojave, using dark mode and always latest Xcode, currently 10.2.1. My OpenCPN has been nothing but black since e5e6a5f in January, so, believe it or not, I do know what I talk about, I do know that the instructions I have written on this very machine doing the builds and that are used building every single commit to the repository in the travis CI system do work...
I also do know that you do not need older macOS or older Xcode to produce OpenCPN able to work on older macOS because I do such builds all the time, both locally and using Travis CI, what you do need is to follow the build instructions.

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 21:26   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Please, try to follow the build instructions.

That is the only way forward shall we not have to deal with incompatible binary products confusing users.

My own machine is latest Mojave, using dark mode and always latest Xcode, currently 10.2.1. My OpenCPN has been nothing but black since e5e6a5f in January, so, believe it or not, I do know what I talk about, I do know that the instructions I have written on this very machine doing the builds and that are used building every single commit to the repository in the travis CI system do work...

I also do know that you do not need older macOS or older Xcode to produce OpenCPN able to work on older macOS because I do such builds all the time, both locally and using Travis CI, what you do need is to follow the build instructions.

Pavel

Thanks Pavel

As per my private message to you i wont repeat that for the sake of brevity.

I will follow the build instructions and advise if it successfully completes building the wXWidgets library.

/Ron
RonSouthworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 02:35   #18

Hi Pavel,

A follow up

What i have been experiencing i think is a Library issue.

I have been saying consistently that the library wont compile as specified.

That I have had to try an alternate config in order to get it to compile at all.

I have downloaded and reinstalled this library many times since December the 18.

Today I can tell you the library it is significantly different to the last time and previous times I have downloaded it . The last time was approx mid April.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5217.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	192156

See the attached image.

Note:

Both are downloaded and unzipped zip’s from the offical git wxWidgets3.1.2 release repo and zip.

there are differences in the number of files and overall file size. There is no malicious code or source code embedded in the older version which is comforting.

Both folders are before running any compile scripts they should be identical in size and number of files.

The April 18 zip file will not compile with the opencpn directions on how to compile.

The one from today does!

No speculation as to why but there are plenty of reasons how such a thing can occur.

To a personal note because of what you have typed on the forum.

I have not at any stage inferred anything but the highest of esteem for the design team or yourself and that continues to be my position. I am not that sort of person.

Please never draw a conclusion or inference to anything different to this statement and approach my input or interest in this Project in the spirit intended and that is :

One of open collaboration, mutual respect and learning and understanding.

These qualities i am well respected for promoting at home and abroad.

all I ask that i be afforded the same courtesy and respect.

Finally I can say If anyone can get an obscure problem it will be me

The lesson for the day is,

if something is odd to check the checksum !

/Ron
Old 16-05-2019, 04:47   #19

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Ron, thanks for posting. I recall years ago having trouble downloading and compiling wxWidgets successfully, back when the programming team was just starting to support Windows. I think it was Pavel or Jasper sent me a prebuilt package finally. I attribute my initial troubles to the same kind of download problem and not having experienced enough to know that it was downloading incorrectly.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 11:22   #20

Boat: Nauticat 32
Mac plug-ins

Interesting. Yesterday, I started from scratch, downloaded the wxWidgets 3.1.2 tar file, built and installed it. Then followed the instructions closely and successfully built Ov5.0, and a couple plugins.

I noticed a big difference. Previous iterations would only take plug-ins that I built myself. This one take ones I built (squiddio, open draw, climatology and weather routing) AND all the others I d/l from opencpn.org.

ALL WORKS!

The only issue I have is not all the icons in the nav bar are “dark mode”. One is WMM plug-in that was built with Ov5.0. There seems to be no real rhyme or reason as to which ones are correct and which ones aren’t.

I will say the version of weather routing I built off of Pavel’s repository is great. It’s fast and works better than the one I was using in O4.8.8.
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 14:22   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereus32 View Post
The only issue I have is not all the icons in the nav bar are “dark mode”. One is WMM plug-in that was built with Ov5.0. There seems to be no real rhyme or reason as to which ones are correct and which ones aren’t.
Oh I see. Those icons simply haven't been updated to match the tool bar color scheme yet... Duh...
Old 18-05-2019, 19:03   #22

ALL WORKS!

I will say the version of weather routing I built off of Pavel’s repository is great. It’s fast and works better than the one I was using in O4.8.8.

Good news

Hi Rick

And Steve.

There is a “joke” I claim ownership of when cloud computing first was touted as the “new thing”.

CLOUD sic ...
“Cannot Locate Our Users Data.”

I have seen issues like this before just not for a very long time.

Glad it has helped sort your problems, Steve.

Not a huge difference here the biggest noticeable is in the build sizes, they are slightly smaller. Stability is the same, which is really good.

The decodes of the plugins version and API version in the log here are the same.

The same bugs with wxWidgets stuff between OS.

Re the menu

Look at the how the menu icons states are worked out and how they reference the respective png/ svg.

I find when you load or update a library on startup you have to go to the plugin preferences that seems to force re indexing before the tab changes to the plugin window then you see what plugins are loaded and their state enabled disabled etc an ok and the menu redraws.

On subsequent startups the icons shift not to how you order them in preferences.

Linux doesn’t seem to do that. Windows don’t know.
Old 20-05-2019, 00:02   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSouthworth View Post
ALL WORKS!

Good news

Hi Rick

And Steve.

There is a “joke” I claim ownership of when cloud computing first was touted as the “new thing”.

CLOUD sic ...
“Cannot Locate Our Users Data.”

I have seen issues like this before just not for a very long time.

Glad it has helped sort your problems, Steve.

Not a huge difference here the biggest noticeable is in the build sizes, they are slightly smaller. Stability is the same, which is really good.

The decodes of the plugins version and API version in the log here are the same.

The same bugs with wxWidgets stuff between OS.

Re the menu

Look at the how the menu icons states are worked out and how they reference the respective png/ svg.

I find when you load or update a library on startup you have to go to the plugin preferences that seems to force re indexing before the tab changes to the plugin window then you see what plugins are loaded and their state enabled disabled etc an ok and the menu redraws.

On subsequent startups the icons shift not to how you order them in preferences.

Linux doesn’t seem to do that. Windows don’t know.

Just a followup on Linux downloaded the source for wxWidgets3.1.2 this afternoon

same issue with the library

recompiling everything....
Old 08-06-2019, 12:48   #24

Other than all the Mac Plug-ins Ron has complied and posted (Thanks Ron!!!), I have successfully compiled and installed Squiddio and Nmea Converter running on O5.0 on my Mac with Mojave. If anyone wants to try them, I can send them or post them or whatever.
Old 08-06-2019, 16:15   #25

Nereus32 wrote:

Quote:

There is no methodology to the icon status. Pavel and others have converted them while addressing other things, in process. We need to get them all changed over. If you can do that and make a github PR, that would be very helpful.
Old 08-06-2019, 16:23   #26

We need a mac version for nmeaconverter. Please send that to Ron so he can check it's operation and add it to his repository, then ask Kathi to add it, if he will do that. Is your version of squiddio the same as the one on the Downloads page?

"If anyone wants to try them, I can send them or post them or whatever."
Old 08-06-2019, 17:45   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
We need a mac version for nmeaconverter. Please send that to Ron so he can check it's operation and add it to his repository, then ask Kathi to add it, if he will do that. Is your version of squiddio the same as the one on the Downloads page?

"If anyone wants to try them, I can send them or post them or whatever."
Squiddio for Version 5.X on the downloads page is listed as "Not yet available." I built it directly off of Mauroc's repository.

I'll PM Ron and figure out how to send it to him. Thanks.

Steve
Old 09-06-2019, 04:39   #28

Nereus32, Have you signed up for github? Public Opensource account is free. Using github is really the best way to do this. You'll have to learn git, but it is not that difficult. You will first Fork the repository, and you should have a local repository to work out of. Something to consider, perhaps for next time.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:20   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Nereus32, Have you signed up for github? Public Opensource account is free. Using github is really the best way to do this. You'll have to learn git, but it is not that difficult. You will first Fork the repository, and you should have a local repository to work out of. Something to consider, perhaps for next time.
Yep. I'm "Nereus32". That's where I loaded the versions. I sent the links to Ron.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:30   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereus32 View Post
Yep. I'm "Nereus32". That's where I loaded the versions. I sent the links to Ron.

Rick both have a couple of challenges with the global font and background prefs and errors related to API versioning....

Which is why I haven’t loaded them onto the repo previously.

/Ron

Tags
plug