Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2019, 13:34   #1

Boat: Nauticat 32
Mac plug-ins

Anyone able to compile Mac plugins for Polar, Climatolgy, Weather Routing and KonniLogbook for OpenCPN 5.0? All my attempts leave me with a plug-in PKG that installs, but is unrecognized by O5.0. Of course it doesn’t help that I have no idea what I’m doing... just damn the torpedos and I tried!
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:33   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Mac plug-ins

Nereus32,
Thank you for trying. Peter Tulp [Ptulp] has been very helpful compiling these plugins for several years, but he is very busy now. His github repository is here https://github.com/ptulp He started out working on logbookkonni and findit plugins and went from there. You will find all the plugins he compiled for Mac there, however the Opencpn download web page has the official Mac Plugins and you should use those generally. https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/info/downloadplugins.html These are generally for Opencpn version 4.2-4.8 but perhaps there are some for Opencpn version 5.0 too. If the MAC version is missing it needs to be built and tested, then uploaded to the OpenCPN website for others.

You can use Ptup's resource as an example. If you have programming skills and are willing to compile for MAC, you should register with github with a free opensource account, and learn git so that you can compile/build locally and push to your github account, etc. It is a workflow process. Also you can create "Releases" that have your compiled/built plugin for MAC.

Additionally, you should know that to compile plugins in "standalone" mode, outside of the program, you need to have the correct version of opencpn.lib in the "build" directory.

There is are versions of opencpn.lib for
  • Opencpn v4.2,(for climatology and other plugins) uses wxWidgets 3.0.2
  • Opencpn v4.8 (certain plugins require this, weather_routing, etc) uses wxWidgets 3.0.2
  • Opencpn v5.0 (not backwards compatible with v4.2 and v4.8) using wxWidgets 3.1.2
These files are available. You will also need the correct version of wxWidgets I believe, but you should read the manual for compiling MAC. That is here
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...piling_mac_osx

If there is anything unclear about this manual or if it needs improvement, please post here.

Are you willing and able to take MAC plugins on, build, compile and test, and then create a "Release" for the OpenCPN download page ?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:07   #3

Willing, but not yet able. I’ll continue to research and learn what I can. My programming experience is pretty ancient and therefore limited, but if I can get to where I can contribute, I certainly will.
Old 11-05-2019, 22:50   #4

Hi
What version of os are you using Nereus ?

If it is Elcapitan I would be willing to help walk you through setting up a compiler environment if your keen.

I am compiling plugins for macOS Mojave for people to be able to try out some of the plugins. These are supposed to work on any 64bit kernel os. Anything Elcapitan or newer.

I have about 9 plugin’s for people to try as of the time of this message.

https://github.com/scadaperspective/OpenCPN5/releases
RonSouthworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:05   #5

Boat: comfortina 32

I downloaded and tried the Mac version of Watchdog plug-in from "Watchdog-Plugin-ov50_2.49.macOS64.pkg" but OpenCPN 5.0 cannot load it in my setup — the options/plugins tab gives an error (incompatible lug-in), (libwatchdog_pi.dylib) and that "version 1.0 and all previous versions of this plug-in is not compatible with this version of OpenCPN". Then the plug-in is not shown in the list to be enabled.

The rest (plugins and main program) seem to work well. I am missing the Weather-Routing plugin, though, and I have to replace it with qtVlm (which works well with macintosh)

I am using Mojave (10.14.4) and the "dark" theme.

Thanks

Alexandros
Alexandros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 17:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSouthworth View Post
Hi

If it is Elcapitan I would be willing to help walk you through setting up a compiler environment if your keen.

I am compiling plugins for macOS Mojave for people to be able to try out some of the plugins. These are supposed to work on any 64bit kernel os. Anything Elcapitan or newer.

Ron,

Thanks for that!

Yes, I'm happy to have some help. I'm running Mojave, so perhaps I'm too far ahead of the curve.
Old 13-05-2019, 18:38   #7

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Hi

Ron...

Unless you set MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.9 environment variable and build against the correct set of libraries, built the same way as the ones OpenCPN is linked against, your products may actually be unusable for other people. Please make sure your build environment is the same as described in https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...piling_mac_osx otherwise your effort might be in vain.

I am also missing information on what you are actually building (exactly what code), what changes are you doing in it, if any (pull requests with those changes to the actual upstreams would be really sweet), and what is the purpose of the somewhat strangely looking OpenCPN_5.0.0.testmacOS64.-.dmg (All the official OpenCPN packages of course target 64bit macOS as it is the only macOS there is these days)

I do welcome every help with the macOS packaging as my own time is currently very limited, but exactly for that reason would much like if it had some form that can be digested without using a crystal ball and detective techniques.

Thanks

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 09:01   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Ron...

Unless you set MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.9 environment variable and build against the correct set of libraries, built the same way as the ones OpenCPN is linked against, your products may actually be unusable for other people. Please make sure your build environment is the same as described in https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...piling_mac_osx otherwise your effort might be in vain.

I am also missing information on what you are actually building (exactly what code), what changes are you doing in it, if any (pull requests with those changes to the actual upstreams would be really sweet), and what is the purpose of the somewhat strangely looking OpenCPN_5.0.0.testmacOS64.-.dmg (All the official OpenCPN packages of course target 64bit macOS as it is the only macOS there is these days)

I do welcome every help with the macOS packaging as my own time is currently very limited, but exactly for that reason would much like if it had some form that can be digested without using a crystal ball and detective techniques.

Thanks

Pavel

Hi Pavel

Nice to meet you

i will send you a pm or an email rather than bog this down.

I’d rather take some time to say hi and such and for you to be able to do that at your Leisure

Hope that is ok.

The short version is I was asked if i could compile some plugins so that people can try things out, not intended for use in a production environment is a phrase I know well. You guys need a hand I can give a bit of a hand.

The rest we can talk as i say when it suits you.

/Ron
Old 14-05-2019, 09:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereus32 View Post
Ron,

Thanks for that!

Yes, I'm happy to have some help. I'm running Mojave, so perhaps I'm too far ahead of the curve.

I am using a mac mini 2014 with 4gb of ram. Dark Mode Mojave so were both on the new side of the bell curve. Reminds me of how my solaris work station looked way back when.

So rather than say too much I am trying to get an idea of your comfort level in installing software using the terminal and the like.

So if i say to you
The support library package manager most people use for apple is brew. It works really well with Mojave from my experience.

To compile things with Dark mode features means using the latest version of Xcode. In addition to downloading this you need to download the Xcode command mine tools.

If you have used macports for package managing the two dont play nicely.

So did i loose you or not ?
Old 14-05-2019, 17:59   #10

Quote:
I am using a mac mini 2014 with 4gb of ram. Dark Mode Mojave so were both on the new side of the bell curve. Reminds me of how my solaris work station looked way back when.

So rather than say too much I am trying to get an idea of your comfort level in installing software using the terminal and the like.

So if i say to you
The support library package manager most people use for apple is brew. It works really well with Mojave from my experience.

To compile things with Dark mode features means using the latest version of Xcode. In addition to downloading this you need to download the Xcode command mine tools.

If you have used macports for package managing the two dont play nicely.

So did i loose you or not ?
You didn't loose me. I've installed home brew and have a current copy of Xcode with command line tools.

My main machine is a MacBook Pro mid 2012 with 8GB ram and a 1TB SSD, which makes it pretty fast for a 7 year old machine. Boat Mac is a late 2012 Mini with 16GB ram and a 2TB SSD. Fastest Mini I've ever used. Both run Mojave very well.

I have studied the Developer Guide and have successfully built and launched ov5.0. I'm not sure it's real stable, but it does launch and I see my installed charts and all my routes from the "official" version that I had previously installed. So I am able to work through that and get "there."

Last night, I was working with a version of Squidd.io. I even found an error that I created a pull request on Github for and fixed -- simple thing really. Point is, I know enough to get in trouble. But not enough to succeed. When I compile most of the plug-ins I attempt, most won't load -- in the Squidd.io example, I get a "version .02 not compatible with this version of O" type of error. Usually, the attempted plug-in doesn't even show up.

So, I'm on track to somewhere, just not very confident I know where.

Steve
Old 14-05-2019, 18:12   #11

Boat: Phantom 19

Steve...

The big question here is WHAT you guys are building... If the master branch, be prepared for (not only) problems with many plugins, as we are exactly in the middle of a big reorganization that was waiting for after 5.0 release exactly for this reason, it breaks a lot of fragile stuff that worked more by accident than by design.
Of course not all the plugins react to the changes in the core application code fast, actually most don't at all at this moment...

If you want to increase your chances, use the stable v5.0.x branch, that is what most of the plugins do work with, or at least someone already probably tried to make them work with...

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 20:56   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Steve...

The big question here is WHAT you guys are building... If the master branch, be prepared for (not only) problems with many plugins, as we are exactly in the middle of a big reorganization that was waiting for after 5.0 release exactly for this reason, it breaks a lot of fragile stuff that worked more by accident than by design.
Of course not all the plugins react to the changes in the core application code fast, actually most don't at all at this moment...

If you want to increase your chances, use the stable v5.0.x branch, that is what most of the plugins do work with, or at least someone already probably tried to make them work with...

Pavel

Per my PM Pavel,

Thanks Steve for the reply

Very short version from my experience....

Xcode needs to be 10.14.2 or later for compiling Dark Mode. Some dark mode stuff is finally sorted out in the framework in this latest update and it looks pretty good now...

Previous caused all sorts of stuff some crashing. I compile other stuff using qt and with that and the qt stuff sorted the code is rock stable and all the dark look.

To get the most compliant set up to dark mode the only way I could compile wxWidgets was to use ...

* ../configure --with-cxx=11 --with-macosx-version-min=10.14* --disable-debug --with-macosx-sdk=/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk 

anything else and you have the light and dark merging or it simply does not produce a complete compiler library

once you get wxWidgets compiled so it builds everything.

What Pavel has explained is exactly what I have found as far as trying to build things.

The master branch for the app is pretty good atm. I am certain that will change after you guys have a long overdue rest so that is of course a caviet.

if you need someone to locally compile things for official builds in this interim point Pavel from what I have experienced that needs to be on an Elcapitan machine with Xcode 8 or 9.4 (depending on the open source project) I don't have that resource.

Wonder Steve how you compiled wxWigets the config options.

I have received some links just now that hopefully will explain the missing pice of my present puzzle.

Once I get clear of dealing with some personal stuff hopefully I will get it sorted and I will pass it on.

Ron
Old 14-05-2019, 20:59   #13

OMG I did it!

I started from scratch and built ov5.0. Had some issues, but after studying the development guide, I realized it was a permission issue and "sudo make install" solved the problem. Then I got my "fixed" GitHub version of Squiddio and complied/installed it and IT WORKED!

Not a big deal, I know, but my programming life ended in the 1990's with Pascal and Fortran. All I've worked with since has been HTML and AppleScript. So, I'm pretty stoked that I was able to - finally - successfully compile and install something. Then "fix" and install something else. I'd say this is progress. Very exciting for me.

Sorry to gush here, but YAY!
Old 14-05-2019, 21:50   #14

Quote:
To get the most compliant set up to dark mode the only way I could compile wxWidgets was to use ...

* ../configure --with-cxx=11 --with-macosx-version-min=10.14* --disable-debug --with-macosx-sdk=/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk 

anything else and you have the light and dark merging or it simply does not produce a complete compiler library
I've noticed there is some weirdness. I'll try recompiling with these settings and see if I get different results.

Still, I don't know what I'm doing exactly, but I'm making progress and having fun doing it.
Old 15-05-2019, 04:10   #15

Hi Steve

Best way to check wxWidgets is compiled ok is to compile the test programs as well

The big homer moment for me today was realising i have not been looking at the log file....

check that and you can see the plugin numbering and any problems with a given plugin....

Tags
plug