Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2021, 19:21   #1

Boat: O’Day 40
Moitessier Hat 3- any news?

Just joining the fray here and starting to scratch the surface. Basic build is working & its time for AIS. Was hoping to get the new Moitessier hat but for 3 months now their website has been dead air. Anybody heard anything?
Thanks,
Lou
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 02:21   #2
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: Moitessier Hat 3- any news?

There are no news.... And nothing in sight at this moment.
But you should ask Sailoog directly.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 17:05   #3

Boat: 1978 Ericson 27

bummer...me too. I'm trying the Astro Pi Sense Hat with USB GPS/Glonass dongle and RTL-SDR.com usb dongle for AIS. I'm running RP3+B with 16gb micro SD...so far so good...got GPS positioning ok but have not calibrated the SDR radio yet from home. My boat is 20 miles from here...will give a go this weekend. The Sense Hat is ok and PyPilot picks up the compass and heel and pitch. I understand that the Open Plotter folks will soon include the environmental sensors as well...that' why I went with that one. I also bought a Glomex VHF/AM-FM Radio/AIS Splitter that will allow me to use the mast antenna for all three.
trumpetmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 17:19   #4

Boat: 1978 Ericson 27

I'm giving up waiting...so I got RP3+B with 16gb, Astro Pi Sense Hat and case, USB GPS/Glonass and RTL-SDR.COM dongles. I got the GPS to work ok but need to install on boat to pickup GSM radio signals in order to calibrate the AIS. I'm 20 miles inland from my boat...yikes! I also got a Glomex VHF/AM-FM Radio/AIS Splitter so I can use the mast antenna for all three. The sense hat gives me the compass, heel and pitch and you can also use the LED panel to show the temperature, humidy and air pressure. I understand that the Open Plotter folks will add these sensors later...that's why I went with that one. Cheers!
trumpetmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 19:30   #5

Boat: O’Day 40

Thanks for the reply. I eager to know how this setup works for you. Also curious to know how difficult it is to set up the SDR. Thanks

Lou
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 20:09   #6

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

In case it's been missed here there is a post dated 09 March 2021 on their site. Seems like they are abandoning production - really a pity.

https://www.rooco.eu/2021/03/09/our-...oitessier-hat/

Our Plans with Moitessier HAT
by Christian | Mar 9, 2021 | Allgemein | 0 comments

Hi,

first of all we’d like to thank you that you made it possible for us to create and build the Moitessier HAT. We were overwhelmend by the huge interest on the HAT from you, right after its release. Planned and engineered by our talented engineer Thomas, the HAT would still not exist, if there was no OpenPlotter/Openmarine platform, maintained and founded by Sailoog, who strongly encouraged us to develop the HAT and gave us loads of support. Soon, a second and improved version of the HAT followed. Not only did we add some convenience features, such as the shutdown button, we also created a new partnership with an excellent Austrian PCB manufacturer. With this new partner we could take the process of production and quality control to a new and better level. In fact, there was such a huge demand on the Moitessier HAT 2 that we reached our production goals in only half of the estimated time.

Things changes, and so did the world, literally, and also we.

It was a hard decision to make. But we decided to discontinue our primary efforts in developing and building the Moitessier HAT. We just do not have the time and ressources any more to fulfill the requirements that we have on our product, on ourselves and to meet your justified expectations on us in supporting you. Don’t stop reading here.

Like OpenPlotter, Rooco’s Moitessier HAT is open source. Or more, it should become open source. Until now, we did not manage to publish all parts of the HAT (some parts of the software, no hardware) to complete the migration to open source. We do not want to let off the HAT. That’s why we want to do this now, make Moitessier HAT open source. This means, our tasks for the near future are to publish all related source code (firmware and linux drivers) and the blueprints for the PCB. We will keep you up-to-date on any progress on this project.

If You are a Customer
For those of you who already own a HAT: We will keep all services online as long as someone else would take over maintainership for the project.

Interested in Producing the HAT?
However, it’s hardly possible to assemble the HAT’s PCB at home, not to speak of the high costs of producing a single PCB. Building these kind of PCBs only makes sense in higher quantities. We search for a company that wants to continue building the HAT. Co-operation and support with us and OpenPlotter/Openmarine is ensured. With openmarine.net you have a partner for worldwide distribution, backed by a great community of sailors, skippers and enthusiasts as well.

Interested? Please, get in touch with us.

So long, thank you for your attention. Please, use, support and spread OpenPlotter.

Rooco
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote